Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Vertical dropouts: Is it a waste of time and effort?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-20, 11:11 AM
whatsmyname1991

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey folks,

I stumbled upon a 97' Trek Mulitrack in someone's spring cleaning trash.

I really want to fix gear it, but behold the vertical dropouts. I do NOT want to spend $150 to put an Eno hub on a trash bike... obviously not worth it. Im hoping some of you guys with more experience can guide me here.

I plugged in the specs on the magic gear calculator and it says 42x17 would work. However, I'm hesitant to purchase anything. People have said those calculators can be significantly off. What's the best way to ensure I buy a rear sprocket that will work?

Note: currently the rear cassette has 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 24, and 28T. While the front chain rings are 24, 34, and 42T.

None of the current possible combinations are listed on the magic calculator.

Beyond all this... Even if I find a magic gear ratio that works...will is just go limp after a few months of chain wear?

This is a free frame from the trash...so I'm not opposed to filing the axle/drop out a bit.... But would that be enough to keep tension for the life of a chain? Maybe with the addition of a half link?

Sheldon Brown has said he used just the QR skewer as an axle by cutting the actual axel short so just the skewer goes through the drop out...this gave more room for front/back tensioning.... Would I be dumb to give that a shot?

Very interested to hear your inputs!

TLDR: Vertical drop outs and want fixed. Is it a waste of time or not?
Old 05-08-20, 12:21 PM
whatsmyname1991

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not allowed to post links, as I am new to the forum.

But imgur(.COM)/ gallery/ jofYqZs

For reference
Likes For whatsmyname1991:
Old 05-08-20, 01:35 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Maybe put that bike up on CL and try and sell it to defray the cost of an actual fixie?
Alternately, you can try a chain tensioner. But they’re kind of clunky and unattractive. Not a huge fan of them myself.
Old 05-08-20, 01:35 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Yes.
Old 05-08-20, 01:37 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Is that a Snoop Dogg reference btw?
Old 05-08-20, 01:50 PM
Mikefule

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
For fixed, you need forward and backward movement of at least centimetre/half an inch or so. For single speed (not fixed) you can fit a little jockey wheel chain tensioner. Personally, I wouldn't file it. It trade it or swap it.
Old 05-08-20, 02:00 PM
whatsmyname1991

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
Maybe put that bike up on CL and try and sell it to defray the cost of an actual fixie?
Alternately, you can try a chain tensioner. But they’re kind of clunky and unattractive. Not a huge fan of them myself.

Thanks for the input and +1 for Snoop haha. You're probably right... swapping for a frame with horizontal drops might save a world of headache and frustration.

Any idea what something like this could sell for on CL? Typical "blue book" for this bike is around $120... could maybe get $50 in its current condition?
Old 05-08-20, 02:03 PM
whatsmyname1991

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikefule
For fixed, you need forward and backward movement of at least centimetre/half an inch or so. For single speed (not fixed) you can fit a little jockey wheel chain tensioner. Personally, I wouldn't file it. It trade it or swap it.
Thanks, that is extremely helpful.... I think filing a 1 cm or 0.5 inch would be a stretch here. Leaning towards selling and looking for an old track frame.... maybe ill keep these wheels as the rims seem like they have enough life left for a beater.
Likes For whatsmyname1991:
Old 05-08-20, 02:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
This bike was not junk but it's a pretty big heavy bike for people that only want one bike. It's very well suited for tasks that need gears - like touring or kid hauling or accommodating your new fitness level after you've left the bike in the rafters for six months.

It's also a pretty small frame size. The drop bars take it a size up

link help
https://imgur.com/gallery/jofYqZs
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-08-20 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-09-20, 07:03 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I've had good luck with magic gears in the past. I ran a 36/15 on a couple different mtb frames. I've also tried one of Sheldon's tricks of cutting a hollow axle off flush with the locknuts to give some wiggle. But that's a mainly a singlespeed trick.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 05-10-20, 01:20 AM
GENESTARWIND

Bikes: purty blue undefeated II 57cm

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
or a rear wheel with eccentric hub************************************************************?

edit
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/white-hubs.html
apparently i cant use a bajillion question marks... who knew
Old 05-10-20, 06:10 AM
whatsmyname1991

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dylansbob
I've had good luck with magic gears in the past. I ran a 36/15 on a couple different mtb frames. I've also tried one of Sheldon's tricks of cutting a hollow axle off flush with the locknuts to give some wiggle. But that's a mainly a singlespeed trick.
So.. when you tried the axle cutting trick...did you have any problems?

I really like the concept here...as it seems like a very good and very cheap (free) work around. My biggest concern is if a QR skewer is actually strong enough to bare the full weight typically put on the axle?
Also did this work around give you enough wiggle room to keep the chain tensioned as it stretched? If so... do you think ANY gear combination would work with the cut axle, or should i stick close to the magic gear?

Final question! From your experience, would you recommend cutting the axle for a single speed.... or you did you feel it was too janky?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-20, 11:22 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I didn't keep that bike for more than a season, but I never had any trouble with it. I'd recommend using a shimano qr or at least an internal cam design. They clamp with alot more force than exposed cam models.

I use this calc and honestly it's always given me good numbers whether it'll work or not.

https://www.eehouse.org/fixin/formfmu.php
Old 05-10-20, 11:53 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
My hat will always be off to Sheldon's ingenuity, but I wouldn't feel comfortable on a bike whose axle didn't go through the dropouts. Just convert your frame into dollars, and convert those dollars into a frame with horizontal dropouts. They're not exactly hard to find anymore.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498