Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel building...

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel building...

Old 05-06-20, 09:16 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Wheel building...

Just wonder what others are using to start nipple onto spokes when building a new wheel. I've been limping along with a spoke bent into a "T" with an old nipple screwed backwards onto it far enough to act as a 'stop' for the nipple being installed. It does avoid the aggravation of dropping nipples inside the rim, but sometimes the nipple I'm trying to place sticks on threads of my kludged up tool and comes back out when I try to remove the tool. And since all the nipples do back up a little, they're not all threaded on to the same depth.

I'm eyeing the Unior nipple instalation tool since it appears to do exactly what I want, but I'm curious if there's a less spendy way to accomplish the same thing.
Old 05-06-20, 09:30 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
Just wonder what others are using to start nipple onto spokes when building a new wheel. I've been limping along with a spoke bent into a "T" with an old nipple screwed backwards onto it far enough to act as a 'stop' for the nipple being installed. It does avoid the aggravation of dropping nipples inside the rim, but sometimes the nipple I'm trying to place sticks on threads of my kludged up tool and comes back out when I try to remove the tool. And since all the nipples do back up a little, they're not all threaded on to the same depth.

I'm eyeing the Unior nipple instalation tool since it appears to do exactly what I want, but I'm curious if there's a less spendy way to accomplish the same thing.
Wheel Fanatyk sells a pin vice but it’s as expensive as the Unior tool. There are other pin vises out there for less however. You’d just need to find the smooth bit for that fits in the spoke nipple. Another consideration would be a jewelry screw driver set. If it has enough sizes, one of them could fit in the nipple.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-06-20, 09:55 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I use one like this: https://www.zoro.com/proto-screw-sta...51/i/G6069612/
Old 05-06-20, 10:08 AM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
If you use an old spoke as you have been doing, It will work a bit easier if you grind down the first few threads on the spoke to a slight taper. It makes putting the nipple on your tool a bit easier, and when you unscrew your tool from the nipple it makes it easy to remove the tool. HTH, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 05-08-20 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-06-20, 10:12 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by bmcer
...I'm curious if there's a less spendy way to accomplish the same thing.
IIRC, Roger Musson, in his "Wheelbuilding" book, recommended using a Q-tip! Snip off one of the "buds" and insert the stick into the slotted end of the spoke. I've done this; it's primitive, but it works... and you'd be hard-pressed to find a "less-spendy" method!
Likes For sweeks:
Old 05-06-20, 12:37 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
I too actually like a q tip cut at an angle. I also often use a straight pick, and have also used sharpened take-out chopsticks. I like something that basically sticks on due to light compression. I only ever start nipples to a few thread while lacing-I have a nipple driver to get them to even engagement before bringing up to working tension.
Old 05-06-20, 01:02 PM
lubloi

Bikes: Koga Miyata GranTourer 1985, Koga Miyata Adventure 1992, Cinelli Sentiero, Giant Terrago 1993, Presto Amsterdam 1975(?), Dahon Classic III Stainless

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Wooden toothpick...
Old 05-06-20, 01:55 PM
bmcer

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. Lots of good ideas here. I've tried using a Q-tip, but found that after just a bit of use, it doesn't hold onto the nipple reliably. Haven't tried a pin vise. Do they come with "bits" that'll hang onto the nipple while inserting it? So far, I'm thinking the Unior tool is most likely to meet my needs.
Old 05-06-20, 02:53 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by lubloi
Wooden toothpick...
Same here. Once the tip starts to get beat up, I just snip it off and it's good again.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-06-20, 03:09 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
The unior isn't that great for getting things started, I've got one and even with the pin fully extended the nipple falls right off if you're trying to insert at an angle. I typically use another spoke, thread the nipple on one turn from the back and insert into the rim. Shop I was at had an interesting one that had a center piece that was spring loaded and locked into place when pushed into the end of the nipple, once you pulled it out you gave a small twist to reset it. Don't know where or who made it and have only ever seen one. not certain it was actually designed for spoke nipples either.
Old 05-06-20, 07:59 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 340 Times in 250 Posts
This is what I use. The working nipple just threads onto the few remaining threads. (BTW, this is not my idea - can't recall where I saw this - one of the wheelbuildling books?). This gives good purchase. Easy to twirl the eccentrically bent spoke down. Easy to remove the tool and move onto the next one. Commercially, hard to beat the old VAR version of a Yankee Screwdriver, with a spoke tip (screwdriver with a nub) on the end.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 05-07-20 at 07:43 AM.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 05-06-20, 08:31 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

This is the old VAR tool:
Old 05-06-20, 08:56 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Last time I used this screwdriver. I have no idea where I got it.

John

Edit Added: I do remember grinding the typical screwdriver side flares straight and making the tip end thicker.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 05-06-20 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-07-20, 08:48 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I use an awl just to get the nipple started. After I have the entire wheel laced, I put a thumbnail into the last thread of every spoke and run them up to that point with a nipple driver.
Old 05-07-20, 08:52 AM
bmcer

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
This is what I use. The working nipple just threads onto the few remaining threads. (BTW, this is not my idea - can't recall where I saw this - one of the wheelbuildling books?). This gives good purchase. Easy to twirl the eccentrically bent spoke down. Easy to remove the tool and move onto the next one. Commercially, hard to beat the old VAR version of a Yankee Screwdriver, with a spoke tip (screwdriver with a nub) on the end.

That's exactly what I've been using. The problem I've had is sometimes the nipple would rather stay on the tool when I start backing it out rather than staying threaded onto the spoke. Doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's a great way to drop the nipple into the rim, and when you've already got half a dozen spokes laced, retrievng it is a major PIA
Old 05-07-20, 12:58 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
So have I been doing it wrong all along?

I take a spoke, thread a little bit on the back, poke it through until I can pinch the nipple and spoke together. Then I grab a small screwdriver and thread it in.

It's a little fiddly but seems to work. This nipple driver seems so easy to diy, that I'll definitely make one before my next build. Curious how much it helps.
Old 05-07-20, 01:06 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I haven't built that many wheels, but I read the suggestion by Mike_T on some other web page somewhere about cutting an angle across a QTip and using that to insert the nipples, and that's what I've done and it worked very well. It's about as simple, cheap, and effective as I need it to be.
Old 05-07-20, 01:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts

My approach exactly except I like "T" handles. (That might be easier to use but flunks my aesthetics.) I just snug the nipple on nice and tight with a spoke wrench. That's gonna be far tighter than anything I"ll ever do starting spokes. I have two nipple starters. One 14mm and one 15mm. (My favorite spokes are the DT 1.6mm butted. Shops rarely carry both 2.0 and 1.8 ends so I get what's available.)

Edit: Those starters are huge time savers with the Velocity Aero rims that do not have ferrules. Chasing lost nipples around the rim gets quite old. They also make it really easy to thread the nipple a bunch of turns so a good portion of the wrench flats are showing and are easy to grab. (Aand a half dozen turns with the driver is much faster than the same number with a spoke wrench.) The reversed nipple means that you have exactly the right number of turns showing to start the nipple and do the work fast. No, cutting or filing. Lose it before the next wheel? Takes no time at all to make the next one.

bmcer - the trick is to do the several turns. If the spoke is still loose, grab the other spokes with your left hand and press that one to pull the nipple down to get the wrench on it. Only then do you back the starter out.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 05-07-20 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-07-20, 01:21 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts

Wiz,
If you make a minor adjustment to your tool, it will make starting the nipple on the spoke a bit easier. I have used this tool since the mid 70's and it speeds up my build time, If you make your bend in the spoke like this tool it will aid in getting the nipple started easily. The company is no longer around but occasionally one will show up on the auction sites.

Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 05-07-20, 07:38 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

I actually like the angle in my spoke starter. It would be even better with a handle and that angle, but the axis of the shank that holds the spoke crosses the part of the "handle" with a shank. That means my hand barely moves and I can rotate a spoke down much faster then if I had to do the "Model T Starter Crank" motion that commercial models require. I also feel that with the axis intersecting the handle axis, its much easier to keep the force on the nipple centered.

But, I suspect that Mad Honk has done a log more wheels than me and would strip my gears in a nipple twisting race, if you all will forgive the rather crude image. (Get your minds out of the gutters, guys!)

Still, I can put a nipple on this tool with the slightest flick of my wrist, and tighten down till the end of the spoke in the wheel hits the end of the spoke in the tool, and back off, in about ten seconds. I can easily back the tool off the spoke in the bike, typically one handed. About a second.
Old 05-08-20, 09:58 AM
bmcer

I went ahead and ordered the Unior nipple starter and it arrived here yesterday. Looks promising. Don't know yet if it'll function better than my DIY bent spoke started ala Wiz & Mad Honk. Seems the bigger problem is getting my hands on some nipples. After coming up empty with a host of LBS's across 2 counties, I ordered a batch a week ago, but they've been languishing in the USPS center in Philadelphia going nowhere since the 5th. Who knows when or if they'll materialize. Not surprising under the circumstances, but annoying just the same.
Old 05-08-20, 11:39 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Pricy, but works flawlessly, will last forever: EVT Mulfinger

https://www.efficientvelo.com/tools/...e-loading-tool

Also available on amazon prime.

And Park Tool now makes the “speed-drive” nipple driver: https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=70040

I use the Mulfinger for lacing and the driver for initial tension.

Last edited by aggiegrads; 05-08-20 at 11:46 AM.
Old 05-22-20, 03:35 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts

I made this. I had to grind off a little of the nipple to get enough exposed thread to stick out. It worked great. A simple cheap (free?) option for building wheels.
Old 05-22-20, 06:30 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
This is the old VAR tool:
I make my own tips using those cheap standard screwdriver bit from the buckets at checkout counters. Only need a center tip that is 1.5mm long.

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 05-22-20, 07:10 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
This is called a screw starter screwdriver and Harbor Freight has them but only included in a set with other screwdrivers, last time I checked. I also use the Bicycle Research spoke nipple driver mentioned above.
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Last time I used this screwdriver. I have no idea where I got it.

John

Edit Added: I do remember grinding the typical screwdriver side flares straight and making the tip end thicker.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.