Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any reason to not use Presta on mountain bike?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-20, 08:57 AM
PJay120

Bikes: Lemond Etape, Motobecane Super Mirage

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts

Hi. I know road bikes, but my kids have mountain bikes. I like using the nut on presta valves to hold it in place while inflating, if needed.
On mountain bikes, this is really needed. I hate going to press the pump head on, and the valve mushes all the way in the tire.
I can buy these 24" x 2" tubes with presta valve, with the nut. Plus, I think it is easier to use presta than Schraeder.
Plus, I can take on of my presta frame pumps and dedicate it to the mountain bike.

Besides being unpopular at the local mountain bike cool guy hangouts (the kick stand will be sufficient for that either way), is there any reason to not use these presta tubes on a mountain bike?
Old 06-09-20, 09:06 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Ideally you should use the correct valve for the hole in the rim. Schraeder valves have a bigger diameter than presta which could, in theory, cause a puncture. However, given that tyre pressures on mountain bikes aren't that high I wouldn't have thought you'd have an issue. Other than that there's no reason not to use Presta. My Giant XTC came with Presta tubes.
Old 06-09-20, 09:38 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I use presta on everything. It really makes things easier. I’ve always hated using schrader valves. Don’t know about local mountain bike guys preference, may be a cultural thing.

Not sure which one is better for tubeless.

John
Old 06-09-20, 09:39 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
You used to be able to buy grommets that fit in a schrader hole to fit presta valves. This would prevent the pv from getting pulled (or pushed) into the oversize hole and damaging the tube at the valve base (which is not typically repairable). Not sure if these grommets can still be purchased, but I would try to find some rather than just using the valve nut of a presta valve to account for the larger hole in the rim.
Likes For mprince:
Old 06-09-20, 09:41 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Put a little tape around the valve to keep it snug.
Old 06-09-20, 10:20 AM
Gresp15C

Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Squeeze the tire with your thumb to hold the valve in place while applying the pump head. You only need to get a couple PSI in there before the pressure will keep the stem from getting pushed in.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 06-09-20, 10:26 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by mprince
You used to be able to buy grommets that fit in a schrader hole to fit presta valves. This would prevent the pv from getting pulled (or pushed) into the oversize hole and damaging the tube at the valve base (which is not typically repairable). Not sure if these grommets can still be purchased, but I would try to find some rather than just using the valve nut of a presta valve to account for the larger hole in the rim.
Use these, switch to Presta, and don't look back.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=1777

Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 06-09-20, 10:35 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
Use these, switch to Presta, and don't look back.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=1777

I keep a pair of those in my seat bag in case my only option is a presta tube
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 06-09-20, 10:41 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
There are rubber grommets or flanged metal bushings that sleeved a Schrader rim hole down to fit a Preasta valve stem. The grommets, Wheels Manufacturing's bushings and Panaracer's flanged Presta valve stem nuts that do the same thing are all offered at Amazon and other on-line bike shops.

I have don't know where the "cool local mountain bike guys" got the idea Presta Valves are uncool on MTBs but they have been around for decades.
Old 06-09-20, 11:42 AM
PJay120

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Squeeze the tire with your thumb to hold the valve in place while applying the pump head. You only need to get a couple PSI in there before the pressure will keep the stem from getting pushed in.
This doesn't really work. If the tube is very low, it can be pressed like that. But if it has gone from say 50psi to 25, there is just enough pressure to keep from being pressed well.

Part of my problem may be that I am using a Serfas FP200, which is made for both. Mostly I do presta and this is a great pump.
I have also considered a Schraeder pump with a screw-on pump head.
Old 06-09-20, 12:13 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by PJay120
Besides being unpopular at the local mountain bike cool guy hangouts (the kick stand will be sufficient for that either way), is there any reason to not use these presta tubes on a mountain bike?
Unpopular? I don't know any decent mountain bike (or road bike, for the matter) sold in Europe that doesn't come with presta valves.

I always use presta on everything. They're more fragile but leak less air.
Old 06-09-20, 12:23 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
I'd use whatever worked for me. If you choose to go presta, then make certain you get an adapter plug for the hole. If you stay with schrader, then maybe you can snug a nylon wire tie around it near the rim. Probably will loosen over time, but till it does, it might work like the nut does on the presta valves.

Though if you use the nut on presta's, you might be the odd one in that group too. A lot of presta guys here had a thread about how they threw the nut and plastic cap away.

I myself like the nut for the same reasons you dislike schrader valves. And the little plastic cap just keeps things clean, like the valve seat which doesn't need dirt in it. So I use both.
Old 06-09-20, 03:00 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
The only time I use presta valves is when the rim is too narrow to be safely drilled for a Schrader valve, which is the only reason presta valves exist in the first place. Both types obviously work, but presta valves are more fragile and I've had a few fail over the years.

Originally Posted by Amt0571
I always use presta on everything. They're more fragile but leak less air.
False. Car tires can sit for months without losing a measurable amount of air. If Schrader valves leaked, they wouldn't be used on every car tire on the planet.
Old 06-09-20, 03:21 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
The only time I use presta valves is when the rim is too narrow to be safely drilled for a Schrader valve, which is the only reason presta valves exist in the first place. Both types obviously work, but presta valves are more fragile and I've had a few fail over the years.

False. Car tires can sit for months without losing a measurable amount of air. If Schrader valves leaked, they wouldn't be used on every car tire on the planet.
Car tires have a high volume and low pressure. Bike tires, especially road tires, have a low volume and high pressure.

That's the reason why you don't notice it in your car and it's noticeable on a bike.

I have to pump my mountain bike tires every couple of weeks at max to keep them on the right pressure. Weekly if I use shrader. I pump my road bike tires every ride and the pressure loss is noticeable.

Last edited by Amt0571; 06-10-20 at 02:55 AM.
Old 06-09-20, 04:21 PM
PJay120

Thanks, everyone!
I will be undaunted by the sneers of the cool mountain bikers! And, I will speak down to them, in a European Language!

I have maybe had a problem once with a presta valve, but on these kids bikes, and my mtn bike, I know the Schraeders can get tilted as you awkwardly try to get them aired up, and then they start rubbing, and you hope it goes out when you are not far from home.
Old 06-09-20, 04:42 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
I will be undaunted by the sneers of the cool mountain bikers!
It's been a few years but BITD I never knew a half way experienced mtn biker who didn't use Presta valves. Decent rims didn't even come drilled for Schrader. When and why did this change?
Old 06-09-20, 11:39 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
My guess is the transition from BMX bikes to mountain bikes. Kids grew up using schraders and can’t see any reason to not keep using them.

Then there is the lycra wearing roadies that use presta exclusively. But years ago schrader valves were associated with cheap bikes. Having a presta valve meant you didn’t get the bike at a discount store.

The 90’s were kind of a golden era for mountain biking when suspension forks were introduced and companies were re-rolling road rims to lighten things up, but the current generation didn’t grow up with that, so it doesn’t apply to them. Narrow rims are gone.

John
Old 06-10-20, 08:26 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
If you just want a shrader valve with a nut, all of the schwable tubes I've ever bought come with nuts and full length threads on the Schrader valve. They're around $2.50-$3.00 here.
And yes I have had some defective shrader valves that leaked overnight after pumping. I couldn't find any punctures and they didn't deflate after pumping for a second time. The valve core was tight. So probably the valve or spring didn't seat properly. But I have never used presta and so I just use shrader, all petrol station have free air pumps for shrader so it's convenient.
Old 06-10-20, 10:41 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Those grommets are fine, and you should use them if you like them. Honestly, I have gotten away with putting presta valve tubes in rims made for Schrader. No problems. Your experience may vary.

Yes presta are easier to inflate. The disadvantage is that someone with a Schrader pump won't be able to help you. This is a real concern depending on where you are and how self-reliant you are. But you can always carry a valve adapter for presta valves. They usually work.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 06-10-20, 08:14 PM
Fissile

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It's been a few years but BITD I never knew a half way experienced mtn biker who didn't use Presta valves. Decent rims didn't even come drilled for Schrader. When and why did this change?
Marketing. Convince the rubes...er, consumer...that something it 'better' and only scum buy the cheaper product...whether or not the cheaper product is actually inferior...and you'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Presta was one of the original tire air valves. Along came mass produced cars and the Presta valve exhibited some real limitations in that application. The Schrader was developed to address those limitations, At the time most bikes had pretty wide rims that could easily accommodate a Schrader valve and there was no reason for the tire industry to produce two types of valves, so Schrader it was. In the 60s with the renewal of bike racing rims got ever more narrow. They got so narrow that the large valve hole needed to fit a Schrader valve could compromise the structural integrity of the rim. Bike rim makers solved the problem by going back to the Presta valve. Soon bikes equipped with Presta valves were associated with 'high quality'. All the really cool kids had bikes with Presta valves. The bike makers responded by putting Presta on everything including X-Mart Crap-O-Cycles.

I use Presta on my bikes with narrow rims because it's what's called for in that application. Everything with a rim wide enough to accommodate a Schrader gets a Schrader . A few years back I bought some mountain rims that were drilled for Presta. Before I laced them to hubs I drilled the valve holes out to fit Schrader .

Bottom line: If your rims are wide enough to use a Schrader valve, and you like Schrader valves, by all means use a Schrader valve. Be warned: By using a Schrader valve you will mark yourself as scum in the eyes of Lance wannabes.
Old 06-10-20, 08:51 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
When I bought my first mountain bike 20 years ago, I asked the dealer to swap the wheels out for ones with Schraeder holes. I knew nothing. He told me that the Presta valves, being smaller, left the rim stronger. Seemed legit, so I kept the bike as it was. I've come to like Presta valves more than Schraeder, but at my level of performance I doubt I'm pushing my rims anywhere near the point where a little extra metal would make a difference.