Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless lessons learnt

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless lessons learnt

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16, 08:20 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
my "SBR" wheelset and tubeless installation was a cinch
Old 07-20-16, 08:35 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdslw
No harm in having some fun around here, but as far as the op goes, his problems started when he opted for a tubeless setup that required the use of rim tape. There was a time when I didn't know any better and bought some wheels that needed tape, had problems, and quickly learned that its not ideal for road tubeless. Now that I've been self educated about the many potential problems that could arise from the use of rim tape in a road tubeless setup I simply take it out of the equation by choosing a rim that doesn't need it at all which simplifies the entire process.

Potential problems with rim tape;

Not enough - Tire won't inflate or inflates but leaks air through the spoke holes especially on carbon wheels where it's an open hole allowing air and sealant to fill the rim and slosh around.

Too much - Difficulty mounting tire because the extra tape increases the overall diameter of the rim making it next to impossible to mount a tire plus you take the chance of the tire bead not engaging the bead hooks properly due to the excessive build up potentially causing your tire to burp off the rim at any given time.

Too wide - May sound stupid but if you haven't gone shopping for rim tape you have no idea. There's several different widths to choose from plus a lot of guys seem recommend Gorilla tape which seems to seal really well but must be trimmed to fit your rims lengthwise, who's done that? If the tape is too wide it could also interfere with the bead lock interface causing a failure.

The tape will also come unglued if its old, installed incorrectly, or gets disturbed during the mounting/dismounting of the tire to where a portion of it as nicked or raised enough for the liquid sealant to get in there and start working on the adhesive.

And let's not forget what happened to me with my Carbon Assaults that were manufactured with some uneven seams where the rim tape adheres to the rim that would allow air and sealant to make its way into the rim.

All of the above can be avoided by choosing a wheel set that is Certified Road Tubeless, just saying.

Look at this picture, where do you think the air and sealant will leak out? If this were a carbon wheel, it would fill the hollow rim.
Look at the seam just above the spoke hole on my old Assault's, no tape is going to seal that crack, again where will the air and sealant go?
Now look at my new Certified Road Tubeless wheel, no spoke holes, smooth as can be, and NO need for tape! The way all road tubeless wheels should be made.
Can you build up that wheel yourself? Do you know the technique? Do you have the steel guide that has to be attached to the alloy nipples to move them into position? Suppose you break a spoke. Can you repair it yourself? A no answer to any of the above questions disqualifies that wheel for my purchase and use.

One more thing. Low pressures like 70 psi are no problem re: pinch flats with tubeless, sure. But that low a pressure does not adequately protect the rim. Keeping a tube from being snakebit requires higher pressures, but those higher pressures protect your wheels as well as your tubes. I would rather have a canary in the coal mine. If I pinch flat a tube, I know I need higher tire pressure to protect my rims. It is worth it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 07-20-16 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-20-16, 08:39 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I currently have two tubeless setups myself:

Gravel bike: WTB Frequency CX i19, Clement X'Plor MSO Tubeless 36MM, OEM WTB i19 (24mm) tape, Stan's 44mm valves

Fatbike: Mulefut 80SL, OEM Sun Ringle tape and rim strips, Vee Bulldozer 26x4.7, Stan's 35MM valves.

Note that everything above is tubeless-specific.

I have become a reluctant tubeless believer. Like a lot of you, I still don't see a benefit with high pressure, narrow road setups, but there are significant benefits with MTB, fat and gravel/cross bikes:

1. Much reduced chance for flats due to the elimination of pinch flats (the most common type of flat) and running sealant. Neither setup has ever flatted (knock wood).
2. Ability to run very low pressures without flatting. I'll air the fatbike down to sub 5 psi in snow without issue. I run the gravel tires at 35 psi in loose conditions. This is a huge advantage in terms of comfort and grip.
3. Significantly lower weight on the fatbike. Fat tubes weight 1 pound + each. The savings is lower or non-existent on the gravel bike.

Setup tips I've learned:
1. Use dedicated, OEM tubeless ready stuff. Non-tubeless tires and rims might work but are they worth the hassle? I personally don't have the time or patience for rigged-up ghetto solutions.
2. Buy a cheap bead jack as shown above. Make sure the bead is entirely in the channel while mounting. I also use diluted soapy water in a spray bottle.
3. Use OEM tape. Gorilla tape works fine but Gorilla tape absorbs sealant over time, making you add more sealant and resulting in more weight. Also, it's not exactly the right width, ever. Just spend the extra five bucks and get the real tape. You're worth it.
4. Stan's valves are the best. I've tried other brands and they don't seal as easily. Stan's valves are basically required for single wall fat rim designs as the threads go all the way down the valve stem, critical for getting sufficient tightness.
5. Slosh the sealant around after initial inflation and then take the bike out for a ten minute ride. The ride is the key and will ensure a better seal.
6. You need a compressor to mount fat tires. The gravel tires mounted no problem with a track pump.
7. Pouring sealant through a valve with the core removed after both beads are mounted is far less messy than trying to pour it into an unmounted section of tire. A thin funnel works fine.
8. With brand new rims, roughing up the surface of the rim very slightly with fine grit sandpaper and then cleaning the rim with rubbing alcohol takes just a few seconds and makes applying the tape foolproof.

Tubeless is far easier than the above makes it seem. It's worth trying.

Last edited by Hiro11; 07-20-16 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-20-16, 08:50 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
Don't forget the months it takes to learn the technique.
Yup, about 4-5 days of 'ready to cry'.
Old 07-20-16, 09:01 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by velociraptor
In other words, it only takes 3 minutes (at max) to change a tubed tire as opposed to your 10 minutes (at least) to change a tubeless.

(10 - 3 = 7)

All in the pursuit of what again?
1. My wife rides alone often, and there is no way she can change a road bike tyre, so I'll get called
2. The 10 minutes is at home with a beer, not at the roadside in the rain
3. hopefully this 10 minutes will save a number of 3 minutes on the road
4. I take 10 minutes to change a flat anyway, plus no CO2, so I pump

Originally Posted by prj71
Compressor isn't needed either. I set mine up tubeless with hand pump. I think it's a matter of having the right rim and tire setup.
This tyre/rim combo - impossible without a compressor

No harm in having some fun around here, but as far as the op goes, his problems started when he opted for a tubeless setup that required the use of rim tape. There was a time when I didn't know any better and bought some wheels that needed tape, had problems, and quickly learned that its not ideal for road tubeless. Now that I've been self educated about the many potential problems that could arise from the use of rim tape in a road tubeless setup I simply take it out of the equation by choosing a rim that doesn't need it at all which simplifies the entire process.

Potential problems with rim tape;

Not enough - Tire won't inflate or inflates but leaks air through the spoke holes especially on carbon wheels where it's an open hole allowing air and sealant to fill the rim and slosh around.

Too much - Difficulty mounting tire because the extra tape increases the overall diameter of the rim making it next to impossible to mount a tire plus you take the chance of the tire bead not engaging the bead hooks properly due to the excessive build up potentially causing your tire to burp off the rim at any given time.

Too wide - May sound stupid but if you haven't gone shopping for rim tape you have no idea. There's several different widths to choose from plus a lot of guys seem recommend Gorilla tape which seems to seal really well but must be trimmed to fit your rims lengthwise, who's done that? If the tape is too wide it could also interfere with the bead lock interface causing a failure.

The tape will also come unglued if its old, installed incorrectly, or gets disturbed during the mounting/dismounting of the tire to where a portion of it as nicked or raised enough for the liquid sealant to get in there and start working on the adhesive.

And let's not forget what happened to me with my Carbon Assaults that were manufactured with some uneven seams where the rim tape adheres to the rim that would allow air and sealant to make its way into the rim.

All of the above can be avoided by choosing a wheel set that is Certified Road Tubeless, just saying.

Not available where I live, and importing costs a fortune.

Originally Posted by chaadster
You know I respect you, but that's some misleading commentary. The OP's problems started when he decided to ignore advice and make uninformed decisions on his own, for example in using Kapton tape, which isn't even available in the size spec'd on Velocity's website for the A23.
Absolutely agree, the Velo/Stans tape are multiple times better than the Kapton. Figured I'd save some money, as so many guys had said that they had good results with Kaptons. Lesson learnt.

The other 'advise' you said I ignored was that an additional layer is wrong. Actually Stan's website says that it is one option.
Old 07-20-16, 10:26 AM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This is exactly the lack of preparedness I'm talking about! Whether cutting or trimming is needed depends on manufacturer spec for the rim width. In the case of Velocity A23, tape spec is 21mm, so narrower than 1".

How in the dickens you'd trim tape width is a mystery to me, let alone why, rather than just buying the proper width.
The internal width of the Enve 3.4s is 16.5/18.5 - I never trimmed the tape.

Old 07-20-16, 12:07 PM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Can you build up that wheel yourself? Do you know the technique? Do you have the steel guide that has to be attached to the alloy nipples to move them into position? Suppose you break a spoke. Can you repair it yourself? A no answer to any of the above questions disqualifies that wheel for my purchase and use.
You certainly have a valid point there and that's most of the reason why not all wheel manufacturers have taken the leap of faith like Shimao, Easton, and Campy/Fulcrum did with their certified road tubeless rim designs. My Easton's actually have Sapim CX-RAY straight pull spokes and the nipples are serviceable from the outside of the rim thanks to Easton placing eyelets on the rim for the nipples to thread into so yes its serviceable. I'm not a wheel builder nor plan to be one anytime soon so the ability to "build up a wheel" or "know the technique" doesn't apply to me. I understand that that option does appeal to some and it certainly interests me but I'd rather not have to deal with it at this point in my life.

Here's a picture of the nipple/eyelet setup on the Easton Carbon Wheels.
Old 07-20-16, 12:23 PM
dvdslw

You know I respect you, but that's some misleading commentary. The OP's problems started when he decided to ignore advice and make uninformed decisions on his own, for example in using Kapton tape, which isn't even available in the size spec'd on Velocity's website for the A23. And why didn't he select the Velocity Velotape in the appropriate width and length to start with?

You're correct that a solid rim bed removes issues related to taping, but taping does not need to be the scourage that it apparently is for some. Follow the manufacturers recommendations, people, and if you're going to "lone wolf" it, educate yourself first, understand what you're doing and why you're doing it. In that way, you'd never try installing a tire if the tape was rolling at the edges, because it doesn't comport with the tape's mission; it doesn't make sense.

Let's also remember that taped rims far and away outnumber solid bed rims (hereafter, SBR), and have been used successfully in multiple cycling disciplines, including road, for many years. There is simply no practical reason tape should not work. Similarly, there is no reason to damage tape on installation aside from bad choices, nor does tape need changed every tire removal if properly installed. I'm in year three on one wheelset, 4 tire changes and I-don't-know-how-many tire removals and reinstalls later, all on the same tape. If that's due to better American Classic tape, then fine, it's a better product, so use that; if it's due to better American Classic rim and system design, fine, it's superior so use them; if it's due simply to a well-done job with proper materials, fine, know what you're doing and use the right equipment and spec for the job.

Ultimately, nearly all of the frustrations which some-- not all-- have with tubeless is due to the absence of a system standard. There are no uniform design specifications which rim and tire manufacturers work to, so it's a bit of a crap shoot as to whether a given tire's bead will mount easily on a given rim, for example, or whether another tire will stay locked in. Tire bead shape and height, rim wall height, barb angle and distance from both top and bottom of rim wall...tons of small details which determine how the system works are simply not prescribed.

Therefore, as end users, we have to realize that choosing tubeless means accepting some uncertainty and variance, but also that altering the system (as by tape choice, or tire choice) will likely result in a different outcome and experience. If you aren't ready to take the steps to understand that, and aren't ready to deal with that, abstaining from tubeless for now is a smart decision. In time, the manufacturers will work out something, similar to UST, but for road.

If one chooses tubeless now, expecting a "no-brainer" experience, they're a fool.
I agree with you and well said. Maybe I went a bit overboard on the whole tape issue, maybe, I just like to jump at every opportunity to educate anyone even thinking about road tubeless that there's better options out there and would assume that any person looking to try it would read a thread like this and be a bit more informed about potential issues that may arise from the use of tape if looking to convert a wheel. Especially if that person has no clue what they're doing.
Old 07-20-16, 12:25 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I feel like Road Tubeless is still in it's infancy whereas MTB Tubeless is a bit more advanced.

MTBikers accepted tubeless a bit faster and it caught on to the point that it's hard to find bikes with tubes these days. I also feel it's far easier to get a mtb tire to stick on the rim than a road tire, however, I feel the lower pressure used in MTB tires might allow them to burp air a bit more, especially due to the constant abuse MTB wheels see vs road wheels.

I feel Road Tubeless still has a lot of hit and miss, and if you want to try it, you either need Tubeless Ready rims/tires or expect to spend some time messing with your setup. I completely realize the way my wheels are taped currently are done so in a matter that shouldn't work, but so far so good. I fussed with my rims for almost a month, then I stopped caring and just slapped some cheap tape on them and it worked. *shrug*

Old 07-20-16, 12:27 PM
dvdslw

Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Not available where I live, and importing costs a fortune.
Enlighten me, what can't you buy where you live?
Old 07-20-16, 12:40 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
You certainly have a valid point there and that's most of the reason why not all wheel manufacturers have taken the leap of faith like Shimao, Easton, and Campy/Fulcrum did with their certified road tubeless rim designs. My Easton's actually have Sapim CX-RAY straight pull spokes and the nipples are serviceable from the outside of the rim thanks to Easton placing eyelets on the rim for the nipples to thread into so yes its serviceable. I'm not a wheel builder nor plan to be one anytime soon so the ability to "build up a wheel" or "know the technique" doesn't apply to me. I understand that that option does appeal to some and it certainly interests me but I'd rather not have to deal with it at this point in my life.
Just bought the Easton EA90 SLs which work the same way. Double threaded nipple. Thread onto the spoke, then thread into the rim. Hopefully won't have to be replacing spokes anytime soon, but looks pretty painless if the need arises.

Can't wait to get them and go tubeless for my race wheels.
Old 07-20-16, 01:07 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3143 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 1,032 Posts
I agree with you and well said. Maybe I went a bit overboard on the whole tape issue, maybe, I just like to jump at every opportunity to educate anyone even thinking about road tubeless that there's better options out there and would assume that any person looking to try it would read a thread like this and be a bit more informed about potential issues that may arise from the use of tape if looking to convert a wheel. Especially if that person has no clue what they're doing.
Totally understand, and I agree that, all else being equal, an SBR is preferable to taping.
Old 07-20-16, 02:18 PM
dvdslw

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Just bought the Easton EA90 SLs which work the same way. Double threaded nipple. Thread onto the spoke, then thread into the rim. Hopefully won't have to be replacing spokes anytime soon, but looks pretty painless if the need arises.

Did you happen to get the newly revised EA90's? They got a bit deeper, wider, and lighter. Either way, they should ride nice.
Old 07-20-16, 06:54 PM
deepakvrao

Enlighten me, what can't you buy where you live?
Those rims.

Actually almost everything. Cycling is rather in its infancy in India. LBSs carry very little, and that too at very high prices. Anything beyond the very basic has to be imported. Things like wheels, rims etc have very high shipping to India, if at all they ship to India. More than half the online stores don't even ship to India.

Oh, I forgot to add, the icing on the cake, is the 50% [yes, you read right] duty that is added on invoice cost + shipping cost when the items land in India. Not to mention, if the idiot at customs feels like harassing you, he just does not release the items. Enough loopholes there. The biggest loophole is that he is entitled to charge duty on MSRP plus shipping, and can totally ignore what you actually paid.

Things like Gorilla tape - not even seen one in India.

So, small items, we order and bite the bullet with the duties. Most of the stuff, I pick up when I travel, and I like to reserve that for bigger items. Airlines have their own issues with baggage, so it's not easy to get in a bunch of wheels either, especially as we almost always travel with our bikes in the first place.

These Velocity a23s I got locally. They are the only road rims available easily locally, so not like I had a choice. Simple things like the tape and sealant, I had to ask a friend to get as I forgot to add them to my order when I was last in Europe and got a load of groupsets and parts to upgrade our bikes.

A few years ago there was nothing available locally, but duty was 16-20%. Now things are becoming available, but much more expensive with the current rate of duties.

Just as an example the Schwalbe Pro Ones are now available in India at 98 dollars each. I paid 35 at bike24.com

End of rant.

You know I respect you, but that's some misleading commentary. The OP's problems started when he decided to ignore advice and make uninformed decisions on his own, for example in using Kapton tape, which isn't even available in the size spec'd on Velocity's website for the A23. And why didn't he select the Velocity Velotape in the appropriate width and length to start with?

Oh and Chaadster, one of the reasons I started with Kapton, was that it was available locally, and like I said, I had forgotten to add tape and sealant to my order when I had placed my last order. Got Stans tape only now when a friend brought it for me from London.
Old 07-21-16, 04:38 AM
dvdslw

Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Those rims.

Actually almost everything. Cycling is rather in its infancy in India. LBSs carry very little, and that too at very high prices. Anything beyond the very basic has to be imported. Things like wheels, rims etc have very high shipping to India, if at all they ship to India. More than half the online stores don't even ship to India.

Oh, I forgot to add, the icing on the cake, is the 50% [yes, you read right] duty that is added on invoice cost + shipping cost when the items land in India. Not to mention, if the idiot at customs feels like harassing you, he just does not release the items. Enough loopholes there. The biggest loophole is that he is entitled to charge duty on MSRP plus shipping, and can totally ignore what you actually paid.

Things like Gorilla tape - not even seen one in India.

So, small items, we order and bite the bullet with the duties. Most of the stuff, I pick up when I travel, and I like to reserve that for bigger items. Airlines have their own issues with baggage, so it's not easy to get in a bunch of wheels either, especially as we almost always travel with our bikes in the first place.

These Velocity a23s I got locally. They are the only road rims available easily locally, so not like I had a choice. Simple things like the tape and sealant, I had to ask a friend to get as I forgot to add them to my order when I was last in Europe and got a load of groupsets and parts to upgrade our bikes.

A few years ago there was nothing available locally, but duty was 16-20%. Now things are becoming available, but much more expensive with the current rate of duties.

Just as an example the Schwalbe Pro Ones are now available in India at 98 dollars each. I paid 35 at bike24.com

End of rant.
Wow, I guess we here in the US take it for granted how readily available everything is to us here. I wasn't exactly saying get the wheels I have but maybe something like a set of Ultegra's which here can be found for around $400.00, but where you live they might cost $1,000 all said and done? That's crazy!
Old 07-21-16, 06:51 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow, I guess we here in the US take it for granted how readily available everything is to us here. I wasn't exactly saying get the wheels I have but maybe something like a set of Ultegra's which here can be found for around $400.00, but where you live they might cost $1,000 all said and done? That's crazy!
and this is just for bicycle parts.

now imagine trying to buy a car in Singapore or Malaysia or brazil or etc
Old 07-21-16, 07:04 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
How in the dickens you'd trim tape width is a mystery to me, let alone why, rather than just buying the proper width.
I go the Gorilla Tape method on my MTB. Trimming is easy. Measure the width, notch it on the tape, peel. It peels where you notched it.

As for why not buy the proper width? A roll of Gorilla Tape is $5, and there's enough to do each wheel twice.

Old 07-21-16, 07:04 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

I would have thought there was some preferential business arrangement for Commonwealth countries, no? I figured it conveniently explained the availability of Velocity rims there, too.
Old 07-21-16, 07:17 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
I go the Gorilla Tape method on my MTB. Trimming is easy. Measure the width, notch it on the tape, peel. It peels where you notched it.

As for why not buy the proper width? A roll of Gorilla Tape is $5, and there's enough to do each wheel twice.
Thanks for the explanation. I wonder if the ripping frays and opens the edge, explaning the sealant soaking action of the tape, and perhaps causes adhesion problems at the edge?

If people want to trade off increased hassle to save $20, that's fine, but my beef is with then jumping on the internet to kvetch and crab about how tubeless sucks and how complicated it is without accounting for how they half-assed it.
Old 07-21-16, 07:37 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Maybe not so crazy; the $98 for locally available P1s he cites is the same as we'd pay at our LBS, too, and $400 for Ultegra seems to be fairly market-wide here, so maybe that's an accurate reflection of what Shimano puts them in the pipeline worldwide for, rather than the price of some large volume discounter, perhaps web-only, taking advantage of preferential national pricing, such as that silly-low price from bike.de. I mean, I don't know that's how bike.de does it, but I'm sure they're not selling them for no profit.
Old 07-21-16, 07:37 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I've never experienced the tape becoming soaked with sealant. The stuff just sticks like hell to whatever you press it against. Zero adhesion issues. They've been doing this in the MTB world for a long time.

I wouldn't do it on a road bike due to the pressures involved, but on a MTB there doesn't seem to be any issue.

Old 07-21-16, 07:54 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts

Here's a picture of the nipple/eyelet setup on the Easton Carbon Wheels.
Originally Posted by rubiksoval

That design is a great advancement. Bravo!

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 07-21-16, 08:21 AM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
If people want to trade off increased hassle to save $20, that's fine, but my beef is with then jumping on the internet to kvetch and crab about how tubeless sucks and how complicated it is without accounting for how they half-assed it.
I agree with this. But I will say, I tried everything the correct way first. Orange seal tape the proper width for my rims. Orange Seal valves with the o-ring on the inside and outside. I even went around each rim twice with the tape. Everything held the first night and when I rode into work in the morning, things were fine until around mile 15 where both wheels went flat, leaving me stranded on the side of the road. After that, I couldn't get them to hold air at all. I even took sealant and went all the way around the outside of the rim. They'd hold air for about an hour and then go flat.

I gave up on tubeless and went back to my old tire/tubes. Only they were pretty worn and I ended up getting two flats that week. So I figured I'd give it one last shot. Took the Gorilla tape, wrapped the rim, didn't trim, threw the tire on and we're almost at a week of holding air. I top off a few psi in the morning and I'm good to go.

*shrug*

I guess we'll see how it goes. It could result in a horrible failure, or it might be fine. I will admit, I have been taking corners a bit slower this week but each day my confidence grows. I'm also getting used to the feel of the tires at lower psi. Right now it still feels really weird to have anything less than 90psi in the back tire. I'm around 75 up front. I tried 70/80 and I felt like I was riding through mud.

Old 07-21-16, 08:23 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
I've never experienced the tape becoming soaked with sealant. The stuff just sticks like hell to whatever you press it against. Zero adhesion issues. They've been doing this in the MTB world for a long time.

I wouldn't do it on a road bike due to the pressures involved, but on a MTB there doesn't seem to be any issue.
Gotchya. I thought a couple of people had said upthread soaking was a Gorilla tape issue, and I was speculating on the reason and related possible issues. I've never used or seen it, so I'll defer to your experience.
Old 07-21-16, 08:33 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
and this is just for bicycle parts.

now imagine trying to buy a car in Singapore or Malaysia or brazil or etc
My sister in law lived in Singapore for several years. When we went and visited, we met a friend of hers who owned a top end 7 series BMW. She told me that the excise taxes + related duties on the BMW totaled about 250%. So, the car we were sitting in cost her the equivalent of about half a million US dollars. On top of that, each mile was metered at a high rate and there were annual taxes levied. ****ing insane.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.