Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Fork

Old 11-16-17, 02:40 PM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 101 Posts
New Fork

Some days ago i bougt a fork on ebay ; a rock shox sid race model 2014 for almost 80$. Today the fork is arrived and seems working fine during some little tests. But this is my very first air fork ever. can you explain me how it works?
More in the details...

- Can i use a normal tire's pump with the pressure indicator? i ask because a friend sayd the air compressor (with the pressure ofc).

- is that normal that the lock will slow a liiiiiitle bit the fork compression but not totally block it?
(on my old RST the block was total , here seems almost useless).

- How i can cheeck the full fork integrity? The fork looks really good but i want to cheeck more in the details before leave the deedback on ebay.

- This (link image) blue cap hide the same valve as the other? or i must inflate from the bottom (on the negative air valve?)

- A pdf or any link with full instructions will be really appreciated.

I can't hold myself , here a photo (link) of my bike with some new parts.
You won't belive me how i was happy to win this auction
Old 11-16-17, 06:39 PM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You will need a shock pump (high pressure low volume) A regular tire pump will not work. An air compressor will blow up the fork.

It is normal for the lockout to not fully lock the fork. What it does is increase the platform (how much force it takes to start compressing the fork) The threshold is- may be adjustable with the gold knob on top of the blue cap.

The blue cap is not meant to be removed and doesn't have a valve. The spring goes in one leg only.

Other than looking for cracks, wear and check it holds air there isn't much you can do to check the fork.

And the SRAM website will probably be your best choice for finding a manual.