Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Dress pants for commuting

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Dress pants for commuting

Old 07-09-19, 07:17 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I sometimes just wear regular dress pants while commuting, in nice weather anyway, and change to shorts for the home leg. While it's not strictly on topic, just saying that the alternative is not that bad.
Old 07-09-19, 10:12 AM
Second Mouse
....gets the cheese

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale Caad 8, Wilier Triestina Jareen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Roundtree & Yorke at Dillard's. They've got several different styles - pleated, non-pleated, cuffed, no cuffs - as well as all cotton and cotton blends, and the linked ones are polyester. The ones I buy are all cotton, washable, they keep a crease pretty well, they're 2 pairs for $78 and they hold up pretty well. My commute is 8 miles each way, but pretty flat and dress code here is more casual than the OP's.
Old 07-10-19, 08:45 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
With a Dutch style bicycle (City Bikes | LocalMile) there is no worry of chains or grease or having to clip pants. A leather Brooks B67 allows the fabric to slide easier and so not wear out as fast as on other saddles. I've a B67 on my Workcycles Opafiets and do a lot of riding in dress pants (mostly wool, some cotton) and it works well.
Likes For CrankyOne:
Old 07-11-19, 07:58 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
Get a Dutch style bike (full chain case) and either:
  1. Get multiple dress pants to spread wear.
  2. Get synthetic dress pants
I ride to work, between 5-40 km (3-25 miles) a day depending on if I commute in part by train, in regular (slightly stretchy) denim jeans and those last about 1-2 years before they wear through.

Old 07-11-19, 12:03 PM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If "dress" doesn't have to be really dressy, https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-m...efault&start=2 I haven't used their pants that much, but I've been commuting for several years with their shirts (I change at the office in the morning; but wear the shirts back). Indeed, most of my Duluth shirts are 6++ years old, I bought them for trips to India and have used them as office attire since. Really hold up well.
Old 07-12-19, 02:49 PM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by zenolee
Uniqlo EZY Pants. They're stretchy and sporty, but at the office they look like wool slacks.
This!

However I will say from experience that depending on your circumstances - weather, temperature, distance, sweat rate, etc. - this may not be as great a solution as intended.
Old 07-13-19, 01:44 PM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Pants for cycling

https://www.gq.com/story/outlier-pan...d-of-the-world

Shop at

https://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail...dungarees.html

Expensive!
Old 07-15-19, 06:41 AM
Aletifer

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Track, 2017 Fuji Cross 1.5, 2019 Cannondale Quick NEO

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear scrubs. Yes, that's probably a little bizarre.

Mind you, not the typical blue, straight-legged type. There's actually a retail store around here that sells various types with pockets, belt loops, etc. They basically look a lot like outdoor pants you'd find at REI—very lightweight, stretchy enough, they dry almost immediately, but they're about half as much. Basically they work for me.
Old 07-22-19, 10:19 PM
chstan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yeah_oui
Lululemon makes pants just for this either the ABC or Commission. The ABC pant is a little more casual than the commission pant. I have a pair of the ABC pants. Stretchy and breathable but look good with a dress shirt (seattle business casual here). I ride 2 miles to work, but its mostly down hill.
Second on these Lululemon pants. Just about the most comfortable things I have ever worn
Old 01-25-20, 03:49 PM
osric

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, Cetma Cargo, Argo Cargo, Electra Loft 3i, Raleigh Sports, Detroit Bikes B-Type

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GQ did a good roundup on this very topic: https://www.gq.com/story/best-pants-to-bike-to-work

My favorites are a pair of Outlier OG's - they don't make that particular design anymore, since it was their very first model (I've had them for 11 years, so they were definitely worth spending $150 on back then). I don't have to dress up often these days, so my daily pants are Swrve's cordura jeans.
Old 01-26-20, 01:50 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I wear prAna pants. They move freely. You could do splits in them. Easy to ride a bike in them. I can't go back to uncomfortable jeans ever again.
Old 01-30-20, 03:26 PM
Smitty2k1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
I've been wearing Banana Republic non iron trousers for about 3 years commuting 2 miles each way with zero issues. I have a Brooks smooth saddle, which I think helps keep the crotch from rubbing too much. I use an ankle band to prevent the pant leg from hitting the chain.

Most of my BR pants are not of the stretch variety, but it seems all the sell these days.
Old 01-31-20, 04:30 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I tend to ruin nice clothes, so I dress casual for work, and commute in my work clothes, so that's not particularly helpful.

But I actually prefer cheap dress pants for riding. I have black uniform pants for that purpose-- uniform pants for restaurant and hotel work, that is; permanent press, pleated front, machine watchable. I wear those for brevets (200 km rides) in fall-winter-spring. They are comfortable and hold up well. I prefer them over any cycling clothes I've tried.
Old 05-26-20, 05:13 PM
Pugs2xLove

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
I've ruined several pairs of khaki pants by putting holes in the back. Nowadays, I wear bike pants and shorts to/from and then change out in the restroom. It's a hassle to carry everything back and forth but it's worth it. No pain, no gain!
Old 05-28-20, 05:59 AM
ypspidsi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My wife has long wanted the dress-pants and we didn't know where can we find it, thank you for your recommendations. Helen loves to wear dresses, she even watched different life hacks like "riding a bike in a dress". These life hacks were useless, so she had to ride a bike in sports clothes. Here is a link to her favorite online store https://seven.deals/deals/apparel/wo...skirts/dresses and you can see that these dresses are definitely not suitable for riding a bike. By the way, I hope this dress-pants is made of durable materials because other clothing doesn't stand the test of cycling.

Last edited by ypspidsi; 06-09-20 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-28-20, 07:43 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Lululemon’s mens ABC Pants could work. They’re expensive, but you get what you pay for.

But for 2 miles, I would honestly just walk. The time difference between walking and pulling out the bike, riding the 2 miles, and then parking it and securing it is probably less than 15minutes?
Old 06-05-20, 05:20 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
I've been commuting to work for 18 years in "office-casual" type slacks such as Dockers. I've learned to *always* use good cuff restraint, especially on the right leg. I usually get 2 to 3 days out of a pair of pants except in the hottest weather (I'm in Chicago).
The longest part of my commute is between 3 and 5 miles, depending on circumstances. The total distance is about 50 miles each way, so obviously it's "multi-modal", with the biggest part on heavy rail. I have done the entire round-trip a few times on my folding bike, but a "bike-to-work Century" is not sustainable.
The latest wrinkle (no pun intended!) is that because of the coronavirus, I will be wearing scrubs at work (I'm a dentist), so I will have a little more flexibility in choosing comfortable biking clothes.
My goal is to complete 20 years of bike commuting before I retire.