Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

First SS, freewheel/chain issues

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-20, 11:46 AM
hhk222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a single speed that's in decent shape but neglected. The freewheel, chainring and chain were rusty. I oiled and cleaned the drivetrain and tested the bike but it rode rough and grindy. I bought it because it was cheap enough and I don't mind a project. After thorough cleaning, I got all the corrosion off the freewheel and chainring and replaced the chain. I bought a new KMC S1 chain, 1/2"x1/8" but it's considerably wider than the chain that was on the bike. I measured the old chain and it's almost certainly a 5-8 speed chain. The freewheel spins like new.

With the new chain and clean chainring and freewheel, tt rides smooth but it occasionally slips a bit under load and, when I first start pedalling, it takes about a 1/4 revolution of the pedal before it engages. I suspect a bad freewheel but I'm wondering if the fact that the previous owner rode with a too-narrow chain has worn the teeth on the chainring and freewheel to the point where it doesn't fit properly with the 1/8" chain. Would that cause the slipping? I'm just not sure. Opinions?
Old 05-07-20, 12:47 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
If the old chain was "too narrow" it never would have even worked, so I doubt that was an issue. I'd put a new freewheel on it.
Old 05-07-20, 01:35 PM
hhk222

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
If the old chain was "too narrow" it never would have even worked, so I doubt that was an issue. I'd put a new freewheel on it.
It was definitely too narrow. I measured the rivet at 2.3-2.4mm with a caliper. That's consistent with a 5-8 speed chain.
Old 05-07-20, 01:47 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
I would try getting some oil inside the Freewheel. It could just be a little gummed up and the pawls not catching instantly. I recently had this condition on a bike that hadn't been written very much. After a couple rides the Freewheel started catching quickly.
Old 05-07-20, 01:53 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by hhk222
It was definitely too narrow. I measured the rivet at 2.3-2.4mm with a caliper. That's consistent with a 5-8 speed chain.
Right, so it was a 3/32 chain which will not properly fit on 1/8" chainrings or freewheels. In my experience not even enough to try to run. Some single speed rings / rear cogs and freewheels are 3/32 which is what yours must be. The 1/8" chain will fit on either.
Old 05-08-20, 10:12 AM
Mikefule

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
Freewheels are surprisingly simple and crude mechanisms considering what they have to do. A period of disuse or abuse, some dirt or corrosion, or just a lack of lubrication, and the pawls can fail to engage properly.

The chain thickness is a red herring. A 1/8 chain will work perfectly OK on a narrower chainring and sprocket. A 3/32 chain will not fit onto a 1/8 pair of cogs.

Ideally, on a single speed, you need 1/8 all the way through (chain ring, chain, sprocket) for minimum wear.

In your position, I'd use a thin lubricant and try to get as much into the free wheel as possible, and spin the freewheel backwards, then engage it, and repeat. You may or may not be able to get it to free up.

Failing that, you can pick up new one off Amazon for less than a tenner (UK prices) or under US$20.