Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Adding sealant to tubeless road tires

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-11, 07:03 AM
yannisg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 22 Posts

I have been using a Dura-Ace tubeless wheel set with Hutchinson fusion 3 tubeless tires.
so far, the ride is smoother, no flats or nicks on the tires after 600 klm.
I initially added the recommended amount of Stan's sealant. Being in a hot climate I would like to added some more sealant.

Can you use the Stan's injector to add sealant through the Presta valve? Taking a section of the tire bead off the rim to top up the sealant seems to be impractical.

How often does someone add sealant?

Any feedback is appreciated.

YannisG
Old 05-08-11, 11:10 AM
mechBgon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If you want to visually check on your sealant to see if it's still liquid, you'll need to remove a section of the tire from the rim anyway, so at that point you might as well just pour the fresh sealant in and be done with it.
Old 05-08-11, 12:12 PM
pmt
Experienced

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been covered if you Search the Forums, but all you have to do is deflate the tire and push the bead aside. Then you can put more in. A little might drip out the sides or bottom, but not much. No need to unmount the tire or take out the valve; I have many sets of Road Tubeless wheels and thousands of kilometers on it, and have always just put the sealant in by pushing the bead aside.
Old 05-09-11, 01:58 AM
yannisg

pmt, thanks for yr response.
Pls clarify. When I deflate the tire the bead is still stuck to the rim. I can push it away slightly, but how do I get the sealant in without taking part of the bead off from the inside of the rim and pouring in the sealant?

YannisG
Old 05-09-11, 06:52 AM
yannisg

mechBgon, thanks.
Today when riding up hill I got a flat on my tubeless rear tire. I checked the tire, but couldn't see any damage or that anything was embedded in the tire.
Tried inflating with a CO2 cartridge, but heard air leaking. I ended up installing an inner tube. when i removed the tire bead I notice the sealant was gummy and not liquid so I assume I must add sealant, and maybe I just lost the seal and it was not a flat.

Any ideas, thanks
YannisG
Old 05-09-11, 04:03 PM
pmt
Experienced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yannisg
pmt, thanks for yr response.
Pls clarify. When I deflate the tire the bead is still stuck to the rim. I can push it away slightly, but how do I get the sealant in without taking part of the bead off from the inside of the rim and pouring in the sealant?
You just squeeze the beads together away from the rim. Put sealant in, let go, inflate.
Old 05-09-11, 04:09 PM
slims_s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mechBgon, thanks.
Today when riding up hill I got a flat on my tubeless rear tire. I checked the tire, but couldn't see any damage or that anything was embedded in the tire.
Tried inflating with a CO2 cartridge, but heard air leaking. I ended up installing an inner tube. when i removed the tire bead I notice the sealant was gummy and not liquid so I assume I must add sealant, and maybe I just lost the seal and it was not a flat.

Any ideas, thanks
YannisG
The sealant being gummy was a consequence of using CO2 (see: https://messageboard.notubes.com/viewtopic.php?t=66). As the first answer on the linked thread says, i stick to a pump for training rides, CO2 only for racing.
Old 05-09-11, 07:53 PM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
You might also be interested in carrying a Hutchinson Fast'air inflator, which inflates and adds sealant in one step: https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...ajor=3&minor=9 There are a couple other brands with that sort of product as well.
Old 05-12-11, 11:06 AM
yannisg

pmt,
Thanks for yr response.
I added sealant as you mentioned by squeezing the tire beads together and lifting the bead in the centre with a level just enough to pour additional Stan's sealant in. I notice that the existing sealant was gummy. When I tried to re-inflate the tire it just wouldn't seal. I couldn't get the bead of the tire to butt against the rim in the areas that it had moved to the centre. After a good arm workout I ended up going to a garage and using a compressor to get the tire to seat. Once it seated it was ok.

Is this normal? I was actually thinking if I didn't have access to a compressor I would have to take the tire off the rim and clean both and start at square one.

Stan sells presta valves that unscrew so you can added the sealant without braking the seal of the bead to the rim. Would that be a better method?

Appreciate the help.

YannisG
Old 05-12-11, 06:42 PM
pmt
Experienced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this normal? I was actually thinking if I didn't have access to a compressor I would have to take the tire off the rim and clean both and start at square one.
Sure, it can be normal. Once it's inflated and well seated, and has been on there a while, it should inflate easily with a good floor pump or a CO2.

Stan sells presta valves that unscrew so you can added the sealant without braking the seal of the bead to the rim. Would that be a better method?
Eh, I've never added it via the valve.
Old 05-15-11, 03:46 PM
yannisg

pmt,
Thanks for the response.

YannisG