Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for handlebar bag to hold binocs and DSLR

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-11, 10:41 PM
kiltedcelt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I commute to work along a path where I can see some interesting wildlife sometimes. I've carried my binoculars with me before, in a pannier. My binocs are Nikon Action EX roof prism models, so they're kinda large and heavy. My DSLR is a Nikon D50 which I would probably be carrying with my 70-300mm lens. I don't want to carry this stuff in a pannier because I already carry too much junk back there on the back of the bike, also I'd like to get some of that weight up front. So, what is a good, large, waterproof handlebar bag that can support these two items? Also, I'd like something that could disconnect easily and that won't interfere with lights and such on my bar. I have the ability to add a second stem and short bar below my main bar, for accessories which I plan on doing sometime in the near future if that helps any with suggestions. I also have bar end shifters on my drop bar and I wonder if the low-running cables will interfere as well.

Last edited by kiltedcelt; 11-19-11 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-20-11, 12:01 AM
GaryinLA

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive been shopping for a handlebar bag and looking online and so far the best i have found available for sale (other than the very expensive ones from Rivendell are from Arkel. If you google "arkel handlebar bag" you can see.
Old 11-20-11, 12:05 AM
GaryinLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a very large handlebar bag from Walmart made by Schwinn (in China) for $10. Its not well constructed-- the material is flimsy but it is large and will do the job until it breaks/tears. You might be able to find it on walmart.com. I have seen it for sale in various Wal Mart stores, sometimes it is out of stock. I got it because i needed a handlebar bag on a trip and i happened to be in a walmart and it meets my immediate needs, knowing it wont last so long. One option is to just get new ones of these each time it breaks. WalMart also sells a much smaller handlebar bag made by Bell for $10 that i use also, i have used about 4 of those on vairous bikes so far, and have worn out 2 of them. They dont hold up so long to heavy use but they are very cheap.
Old 11-20-11, 12:09 AM
GaryinLA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 2 bags i mention from Wal Mart do not have have quick disconnects. The Arkel bags do. What i do is use a few zip ties so that the cheap handlebar bags are not easy stolen (they would have to be cut off.) Also i dont leave anything of value in them. (I may leave extra tubes, a $10 compact air pump, sunscreen, cliff bar etc,, but certainly nothing like a camera.
Old 11-20-11, 06:20 AM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Arkel large bag would work well for your purpose.
Old 11-20-11, 07:14 AM
rjl33

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the large Arkel handlebar bag. I use the small one to carry a GF1 and some accessories. It is built well and I like the quick release mount system. The unfortunate part is that you have to buy the waterproof cover separately for about $20.
Old 11-20-11, 10:37 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
You also may want to look at the Ortlieb bar bags. They ARE waterproof.
Old 11-20-11, 07:56 PM
Aushiker

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Salsa Mukluk, Riese & Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff (Forthcoming)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Hi

I would suggest checking out an Ortlieb Ultimate5 Plus handlebar bag but using a Rixen and Kaul Klickfix mount.

Andrew
Old 11-20-11, 11:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Brevet riders have a front rack over the wheel, to support 1 big bag,
mounted on a stem mounted sub frame
Berthoud is very Un Wally world in quality and price, Hand made in France..
see via Wall bike,and peter white cycles. or buy and import direct.

Velo Orange tries to get similar stuff made at a bit less prestige price.

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-21-11 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-20-11, 11:18 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
If you do travel with your camera, I would suggest putting in some close-cell foam or something, vibrations are not good for cameras in general, any sort of foam will help immensely. Ive seen screws come loose on all sorts of cameras from commercial use from car vibrations etc, a bit of foam is an easy way to reduce vibrations a lot.
Old 11-20-11, 11:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

There is also a Chest mounted bag and harness from Ortlieb,
put the camera in one bag the binocs in the other
they make a tapered bag for zooms and SLR cameras,
4 D rings the snap hooks engage keeps it in front of you.
Old 11-21-11, 11:24 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I second the Ortlieb recommendation, but with a caveat. It'll interfere with bar-mounted lights. If you can get a second stem (see, for instance, https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-acc...deg-prod11041/) and hang the Ortlieb on that, you'll be set. Works well with bar-ends, BTW.
Old 11-21-11, 11:57 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rixen and Kaul (and Ortleib) mounts are best because they support the weight using a plastic wrapped steel cable wrapped around the stem. The small bar clamp is there to prevent rotation but does little else. Most other mounts have to use massive clamps to support the weight.
I have used R&K on a Carradice bar bag, fully loaded, down mountain trails and they are totally reliable but have instant quick release.
You can get spare mounts for other bikes and extended length mounts.
I mount my light on the fork crown.
Old 11-21-11, 11:58 AM
kiltedcelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
There is also a Chest mounted bag and harness from Ortlieb,
put the camera in one bag the binocs in the other
they make a tapered bag for zooms and SLR cameras,
4 D rings the snap hooks engage keeps it in front of you.
Ugh... I appreciate the alternative suggestion, but I use bags on the bike to keep from carrying things on my body when riding. I hate having anything strapped on like a backpack when I'm riding. I rode enough like that in college to know that I don't like it. Heck, I don't even think I could wear a Camelback anymore if it came to that.
Old 11-21-11, 12:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I have a Monocular, that takes up little space. new post film era cameras
compete with each other, over most features in the smallest space,
so consider: get a reasonable volume bag, shrink the size of the contents.
Old 11-21-11, 01:05 PM
kiltedcelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still looking around, but I'm not finding anything that appears like it would hold the weight of the camera and binoculars let alone accommodate the size of both items. I need something that measures roughly 9"Wx8"Dx8"H and there are very few bags that fit those measurements. I'm kinda surprised but the only bag that appears to be even remotely aerodynamic is the Topeak Handlebar Dry Bag https://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/HandleBar_DryBag I haven't found any reliable reviews on this bag though. Only a couple reviews from people claiming it instantly fell apart on them. I've always gotten the impression that Topeak made some pretty decent stuff so I have to wonder about those reviews - just a couple faulty bags maybe? The other bags that have been suggested - Arkel and Ortlieb, well, bloody expensive but I guess that's what you get for quality. Still, I guess the majority of bags are not aerodynamic in any way. I guess if you're hanging bags all over your bike, you're going to catch so much wind anyway I guess it doesn't matter.
Old 11-21-11, 01:39 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by kiltedcelt
I need something that measures roughly 9"Wx8"Dx8"H and there are very few bags that fit those measurements.
The Nashbar Elite measures 9.5 x 10 x 8", but will sag under the weight of a DSLR and binoculars. One option is to carry it on a rack like the Nashbar Front Rack. I found the combination to work well. I didn't use the bracket and wrapped the shoulder strap around the stem clipping the ends to the bag to keep it on the rack. I have done a few longish tours that way and it has worked out well.

When using the bracket rather than the rack I completed the TA (73 days) with a DSLR and a couple lenses, but it was sagging pretty well by the end. At first I added a metal plate to stiffen the back of the bag, but later decided I liked the little rack better.

Last edited by staehpj1; 11-21-11 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-21-11, 03:02 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I've used an Ortlieb Ultimate handlebar bag with the padded camera insert to carry my Nikon D70 and 70-300 lens. If I'm doing photography on the trip, I'll pack an extra lens or two in a padded rack trunk. I wouldn't suggest carrying a DSLR + longer lens + a big set of binocs in a handlebar bag, even if you can find a bag big enough to fit them all. That's a lot of weight hanging off the front up high. Maybe consider getting a smaller set of compact binocs for bike travel? They make some really nice ones now that almost rival full-size ones.
Old 11-21-11, 03:26 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
A local blogger did a nice writeup about using military surplus bags for bicycle use. There are lots of different sizes to look at.

I've used such a bag both as a saddle bag and a handlebar bag.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-21-11, 03:50 PM
kiltedcelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by briwasson
I've used an Ortlieb Ultimate handlebar bag with the padded camera insert to carry my Nikon D70 and 70-300 lens. If I'm doing photography on the trip, I'll pack an extra lens or two in a padded rack trunk. I wouldn't suggest carrying a DSLR + longer lens + a big set of binocs in a handlebar bag, even if you can find a bag big enough to fit them all. That's a lot of weight hanging off the front up high. Maybe consider getting a smaller set of compact binocs for bike travel? They make some really nice ones now that almost rival full-size ones.
I'm thinking with what I've been reading here in terms of the recommendations, and what I've researched away from BF, that I'll be better off carrying these items in a bag attached to an actual front rack. I agree that this is probably enough weight hanging from up higher on the bars to be a bit more than what is intended for most handlebar bags. When you read about handlebar bags for the most part they're mentioned for carrying small things like phones, snacks, or a small point-and-shoot type camera - not heavy birding binoculars and a DSLR with a long lens. Sure I could probably find some smaller binocs but I got my big clunky Nikons because they're waterproof and rubber armored and they have great eye relief (glasses wearer). So anyway, now to start researching front racks and some kind of waterproof trunk bag kind 0f thing for carrying my camera and binocs. I've got the Jandd Expedition rear rack which is really nice - plus I bought it on sale for only $50! I could get the Jandd front rack since I know they make good heavy duty stuff. Only thing is I'll need to watch for a sale on it too.
Old 11-21-11, 04:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

As in #9, ... 3 parts for a premier kit.

https://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/han...rontbags-basic
https://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/rac...hreadless-stem https://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/rac...oud-front-rack

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-21-11 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-21-11, 07:41 PM
kiltedcelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice looking stuff but WAY too rich for my blood.
Old 11-21-11, 09:27 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by kiltedcelt
Nice looking stuff but WAY too rich for my blood.
That's why I suggested military surplus: It's dirt cheap, comparatively speaking. The black bag pictured above was about $20.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-21-11, 09:58 PM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Erick L, a member of BikeForums who has great photos ( https://www.borealphoto.com ) has this page showing how he transports photo equipment:

https://blog-en.borealphoto.com/2008/...ike.html#links
Old 11-22-11, 05:06 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The construction of Carradice bag is a correx box with a canvas outer covering. The box can be constructed using nylon bolts or rivets. You can buy the R&K handlebar mount and a retro fit plate for a basket.
Given the low cost and easy assembly, why not build you own barbag to your own design. You can test it to destruction for ease of mind.