Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pake Track Cranks on an SE Draft Lite

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 04:32 PM
jackster57

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Okay, about a year ago I bought an SE Draft Lite. I know that everyone around here hates these bikes and everything, but it has served me fairly well and I would like to upgrade it. I have come apon Pake Cranks, and they seem to be a cheap and decent upgrade to the stock cranks. However I have two questions about them:

1. Will these cranks fit on the SE draft Lite's bottom bracket? I have heard from some places that the draft has a strange BB, but other sources seem to say it works. Note: I have the 2009 draft lite, it comes with 3 piece cranks, and what the manufacturer calls a "Euro BB" If these cranks will not fit alone, what parts to I have to buy to make them work, or are there any other cheap and good cranks for a fixed gear that you would reccomend?

2. I assume that the pake cranks that sell for $69.99 come with a left and right crank? This may seem like a dumb question, but in all of the pictures of them I can only find a picture of the geared crank.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-09-10, 04:54 PM
cnnrmccloskey

Bikes: '82 Giante super challange, 70 Gitane Tour de France, GT Gutterball

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jackster57
Okay, about a year ago I bought an SE Draft Lite. I know that everyone around here hates these bikes and everything, but it has served me fairly well and I would like to upgrade it. I have come apon Pake Cranks, and they seem to be a cheap and decent upgrade to the stock cranks. However I have two questions about them:

1. Will these cranks fit on the SE draft Lite's bottom bracket? I have heard from some places that the draft has a strange BB, but other sources seem to say it works. Note: I have the 2009 draft lite, it comes with 3 piece cranks, and what the manufacturer calls a "Euro BB" If these cranks will not fit alone, what parts to I have to buy to make them work, or are there any other cheap and good cranks for a fixed gear that you would reccomend?

2. I assume that the pake cranks that sell for $69.99 come with a left and right crank? This may seem like a dumb question, but in all of the pictures of them I can only find a picture of the geared crank.

Thanks for your help!
Can't answer your first question but they defiantly come with both crank arms, I've been using some pake cranks for a while now, I'm relatively happy with them, although aesthetically I think they are pretty ugly.
Old 04-09-10, 04:57 PM
jackster57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help. You think there ugly? I really thought that the looked rather nice. Have you seen the stock SE cranks? Nothing could get uglier.
Old 04-09-10, 07:00 PM
cnnrmccloskey

Bikes: '82 Giante super challange, 70 Gitane Tour de France, GT Gutterball

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jackster57
Thanks for the help. You think there ugly? I really thought that the looked rather nice. Have you seen the stock SE cranks? Nothing could get uglier.
My problem with them is that they look like triples, but with the inner ring undrilled and with only one ring, I have no idea what the protusions are supposed to do, seems all they do is serve to trap your chain... I dunno, they perform, thats all they really need to do
Old 04-09-10, 07:39 PM
jackster57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cnnrmccloskey
My problem with them is that they look like triples, but with the inner ring undrilled and with only one ring, I have no idea what the protusions are supposed to do, seems all they do is serve to trap your chain... I dunno, they perform, thats all they really need to do
I see. I don't really mind it that much. I like the colors and it is cheap.

Anyone else have any other suggestions for cranks that might be a better value than these? Anyone know how the $79 Alien Bikes cranks stack up to these?
Old 04-09-10, 08:20 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
You can get the Pake cranks for $56 here >>> https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=16823

Also they work with a 107mm or 110mm JIS square taper BB, so if that's what you've got you're in business. Also, you can choose crank length and chainring thickness (1/8 or 3/32).

I've done a lot of business with Universal Cycles. They carry a lot of good stuff at good prices.
Old 04-10-10, 06:03 AM
jackster57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
You can get the Pake cranks for $56 here >>> https://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...s.php?id=16823

Also they work with a 107mm or 110mm JIS square taper BB, so if that's what you've got you're in business. Also, you can choose crank length and chainring thickness (1/8 or 3/32).

I've done a lot of business with Universal Cycles. They carry a lot of good stuff at good prices.
Would you say that they are a better crank for the money than the pakes?
Old 04-10-10, 06:31 AM
jackster57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie

Would you say that they are a better crank for the money than the pakes?