Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Shifters Hardtail

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Shifters Hardtail

Old 03-13-20, 08:12 PM
Plankedon

Bikes: Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shifters Hardtail

Please excuse my ignorance if I'm doing this wrong. I have a question regarding shifters and no one I know knows anything about mountain bikes, thus...

I collect and repair used mountain bikes, mostly on the cheap. I scored some Bontrager wheels which are sweet but have a 9 speed cassette on them. No probs only the Giant Escape I want to put them on has 8 speed shifters, Shimano stock. I can switch them out and have access to used Deore shifters or XT shifter/brake levers (dual, I believe they are dubbed). So...are the Deores enough or do I need the XT dual things for $20 more? The brake levers I have are Tektro and spongy, but I like them. I go as hard as my old body can handle but I'm not hardcore, the XT brakes I have on a Specialized threw me over the bars and I cracked a rib.

That's all, hope it wasn't too long winded, thanks.
Old 03-14-20, 01:35 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Doesn't matter, either will work. You can also just switch out the 9 speed cassette for the 8 and keep what you have.
Old 03-14-20, 09:53 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Plankedon
Please excuse my ignorance if I'm doing this wrong. I have a question regarding shifters and no one I know knows anything about mountain bikes, thus...

I collect and repair used mountain bikes, mostly on the cheap. I scored some Bontrager wheels which are sweet but have a 9 speed cassette on them. No probs only the Giant Escape I want to put them on has 8 speed shifters, Shimano stock. I can switch them out and have access to used Deore shifters or XT shifter/brake levers (dual, I believe they are dubbed). So...are the Deores enough or do I need the XT dual things for $20 more? The brake levers I have are Tektro and spongy, but I like them. I go as hard as my old body can handle but I'm not hardcore, the XT brakes I have on a Specialized threw me over the bars and I cracked a rib.

That's all, hope it wasn't too long winded, thanks.
where are you at in Japan? My brother is currently bouncing between Tokyo and Kyoto. He knows a lot about bikes and could help you out.
Btw, what type of brakes are you using? Low end canti's will be weak, consider getting v-brakes for stronger bite.
Old 03-23-20, 03:00 PM
LeoBoon

Bikes: RiH randonneur 1983 - RIH Sport 1977 - Marinoni 1986 - Rih special 1978 - Marin Verona carbon 2016 - Rocky Mountain Equippe - Trek 970 SingleTrack MTB - Kuwahara

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
As Canker suggested just switch out the 9 speed for an 8 speed. I still have a few mountain bikes that has 5 and 6 speeds on them and I manage to ride them on most terrain. Too old to go up the really steep stuff (20%)
Old 03-23-20, 03:22 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by canker
you can also just switch out the 9 speed cassette for the 8 and keep what you have.
+1