Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Do you know about your phone's mobile hotspot?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 05-17-20, 11:57 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts

There have been a few posts in various threads here that I read and thought "mobile hotspot would make this work." I'm guessing a lot of people haven't used it. Rather than derail other threads, here's a new one about this specifically.

If you have reception, your phone can create a wifi network. You can turn it on and off at will. If you have a decent phone and plan, it can be pretty fast. (Mine is fast enough to do video meetings and remote desktop.) It's not a solution, it's more like a workaround. It drains your phone's battery when in use, and your carrier only gives you so much data this way. But routes and activity recordings are small. It's the same as any other wifi network, your head unit should have no trouble with it.

I've seen posts about some head units will only do some things over wifi (update maps, download routes, update firmware, etc). I've read criticism of one head unit, saying it's bad for touring because WiFi is seldom available and BT is always there.

So, I want to make sure everybody knows this is probably already in your tool bag.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-17-20, 12:35 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Mine claims to support up to ten devices. Never tried more than two, where we had cell service but no internet. Just check your data plan before using.
Old 05-17-20, 01:30 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
My network provider somehow disabled ability to use Hot Spot option.
Old 05-17-20, 01:33 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
"Even though I'm on a limited data plan, I'm gonna set up my phone's mobile hot spot."

Reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live commercial spoof called "Bad Idea Jeans"

Old 05-17-20, 05:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Disabling the hot spot is something that some companies do because they charge extra for it. I have used it on my ATT phone when I used to drive a lot and my kids needed to do homework in the car.
Old 05-17-20, 06:34 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
I use my phone's hotspot very regularly (Canada). No need to pay extra for it.
Likes For WorldIRC:
Old 05-17-20, 07:16 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
That’s a good reminder! I never remember that I can do that with my phone.
Old 05-17-20, 11:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Again, it's not the best way to move data around, but if you drive somewhere for a ride and realize you forgot to load the route onto your Garmin or Wahoo, the mobile hotspot feature can save your bacon.
Old 05-18-20, 08:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Monthly fee on my plan to use a mobile hotspot, plus the chance of a data overage.

I'm old, set in my ways, and cheap, and I've never really needed to use the hotspot. YMMV.
Old 05-18-20, 09:03 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
It's a good idea if it's free on your plan. I think it's just enough of a hassle I won't do it unless on a tour.
Old 05-18-20, 09:16 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I think the points here are:
  1. It's good to know that this is possible.
  2. It's good to know what your mobile plan includes.
  3. Even a cheap mobile plan will cover a few gigabytes of data. The route file for the complete Trans Am route, with cues, clocks in at about 3 megabytes, or 0.3% of a gigabyte. Downloading a route file isn't going to put you into overages (or if it does, something else would anyhow).
Old 05-18-20, 12:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

@adamrice summarized my intentions with this thread perfectly. I'm not telling anybody to go out and start using this, I just want to make sure people know it's an arrow in the quiver.

There was a comment in the Karoo Hammerhead thread about how the unit is wifi only, which is a deal breaker for touring - ironic because it's probably got the best map display. I wouldn't buy a head unit knowing I had to rely on mobile hotspot for it to be useful, but reading that comment made me think I should get around to starting a thread about this capability because there are other situations where you can be in a pinch and it can help you out.

I changed phone carriers because of hotspot. I use Sprint (yeah, I know) because they give me 100 GB a month of hotspot. Previous carrier gave me 20 GB a month, and that wasn't enough for work. Cycling routes are much less data than meetings, so you probably don't need much. And you probably won't need it often.
Old 05-18-20, 12:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by Koyote
That’s a good reminder! I never remember that I can do that with my phone.
Here's one more. My Garmin can use wifi, yours probably can too. I think wifi is required to update the maps, that's a lot of data, and I wouldn't want to do it using my hotspot.

My Garmin won't connect to the kind of wifi at coffee shops and libraries, where you have to click a button that says "I accept the terms." It only works with the kind that requires a key to connect.

If you have a Samsung phone, it has a "wifi sharing" feature. Again you use the mobile hotspot, but your phone will use the wifi network and not cellular data to feed your Garmin.
Old 05-18-20, 02:03 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
As you mentioned, none of the head units (that I know of) will work with a WiFi connection that requires you to accept carrier terms and conditions of use. So a hot spot will be what you will need in order to upload your ride to Strava or other sites when away from your home network. But there's a big problem with this if you want to upload rides directly from the device. If you have your phone with you, downloading routes or upgrading the firmware isn't an issue and there is no need to use your phone's hot spot network, at least not with a Wahoo product.

The problem: when you set up your device for WiFi, you need a companion app in order to select the network's SSID (Network Name) and to enter the passphrase (password) to gain access to the network. This information is stored within the device and allows you to perform route downloads and firmware upgrades without the need for the companion app to be connected. So, unless the SSID and passphrase on your phone's hot spot network match that of your home network, your device has no way of connecting to the phone via WiFi. Since a phone can't connect to it's own hot spot, you can't use the companion app to change the SSID and passphrase within the device.

I found this out the hard way when a friend and I did a charity ride together, a year to two ago. We went to the ride in his truck and in haste, I left my phone in my van at his house. I thought I had downloaded the route for the charity ride but when I got to the ride, I found out that I didn't. I tried downloading the ride using his hot spot but the connection failed on each attempt. It took me a while before it hit me and as soon as I changed the SSID and passphrase on his phone, I was able to connect with no problem.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 05-18-20 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-18-20, 02:10 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Another option is to use a SIM enabled bike computer and use a freedompop SIM which gives you 200mb of LTE a month for free.
Likes For Elvo:
Old 05-18-20, 02:53 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Another option is to use a SIM enabled bike computer and use a freedompop SIM which gives you 200mb of LTE a month for free.
How many SIM enabled bike computers are there?

There is the Karoo.

​​​​​​
Old 05-18-20, 03:15 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Curious about this. I’ve an iPhone and iPad. When I want to use the phones cell data connection in lieu of non existent WiFi, Apple lets my iPhone become a hotspot. There’s an On/Off switch in Settings. I have to have BlueTooth On for both the phone and tablet, the tablet then seemingly uses BT as the connection to the phone.

This is not the phone functioning as a WiFi hotspot - I.E. my laptop which is WiFi only, so no BT, cannot connect, as far as I’m aware.

Any thoughts on how this is different ?
Old 05-18-20, 04:42 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Any thoughts on how this is different ?
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204023

The phone acts as a bridge between the device and the cellular network.

You can connect to the phone using BT, WiFi, or USB. BT is should be slower.

With WiFi, the phone looks like a router. You can add the phone as a network, which makes it easy to use again.
Old 05-18-20, 04:58 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by njkayaker

With WiFi, the phone looks like a router. You can add the phone as a network, which makes it easy to use again.
Thx, never seen WiFi as option, will go looking
Old 05-18-20, 05:33 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by njkayaker

Well that was easy, thanks for the link NJ.
Old 05-18-20, 08:47 PM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Thx, never seen WiFi as option, will go looking
It sort of just happens. Look for it in the wifi list. It's useful in the way Forrest said but for more things too.

I usually have it off but, if I've connected the device, it's easy to start using it by enabling it on the phone.

​​
Old 05-18-20, 10:00 PM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I am amazed everyone doesn't know about this and use it. I have been using it for a number of years. You get one bill for your phone and internet. It works out cheaper than having phone and internet separately. You can even make phone calls while on the internet. Just get a plan where you get enough data.

Australians can look at the deals on Amaysim. No lock in contract.
Old 05-19-20, 01:18 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
In the US practices for using cell phones as wifi hotspots vary tremendously between carriers and MVNOs. Generally it's far more expensive here than most home wifi.

A couple of years ago I was so fed up with the poor DSL speed in my neighborhood I considered switching completely to cell, using it as a hotspot for my PCs when needed. Verizon worked fine for that but was incredibly expensive -- and PCs burn through data much quicker than cell phones, even just with ordinary web browsing rather than streaming movies.

I tried an MVNO for T-Mobile that promised unlimited high speed data, including with hotspots. I think it cost $80/mo which seemed reasonable. But it was a bad joke. T-Mobile is notorious for throttling data and the CEO was quoted complaining about customers who actually had the audacity to expect the service they paid for. The only time I got high speed data was between midnight and 5 am, and that was only when using the phone. It was always throttled in hotspot mode.

So I switched to a cheap MVNO for just basic cell phone service (Mint Mobile for the past year -- it's not perfect but not bad). And I badgered AT&T about the terrible internet service in our neighborhood. We're in an old neighborhood with a declining business base, so there's no motivation for AT&T to upgrade to fiber optic. They've been promising for more than a decade. But after complaining my internet speed improved a little. On good days it'll get 10 mbps down/1 mbps up, but usually slower. I think it's $35 for 1 TB per month, which I've never come close to using.

So it just wasn't worth the expense of using any cell carrier hotspot here. It would cost me hundreds of dollars a month for comparable service.

But eventually I suspect AT&T home wifi will be completely obsolete and every one will use high speed cell data for everything. It just isn't cost effective to upgrade. Too labor intensive (lots of digging), the materials are expensive, and the community isn't growing economically so it's hard to make a case for investing in infrastructure in hopes of attracting more businesses and residents with good incomes.

I have used Mint Mobile (another MVNO of T-Mobile) for hotspot when my home wifi went out -- which included most of March this year. Fortunately due to the pandemic Mint Mobile had extended pretty much unlimited data, and it didn't appear to be throttled. So I used it a few days in March. Our wifi has been pretty much normal (normally slow) since April.
Old 05-19-20, 01:52 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I had tried a 3rd party hot-spot on my old phone. It kept knocking it off. I'd get about 30 seconds of hot spot use, then it would konk out, and I'd have to reboot the phone. But, it was just enough to download something like a Strava Route.

On the new phone, however, the hot spot seems to be stable. Unfortunately, I think I allowed the phone company to change my unlimited networking to something like 2 GB a month, so I have to play the hotspot data pretty tight.

Nonetheless, it was handy last weekend, and I'll probably make more use of it in the future.

I'm still one of the holdouts of actually having a telephone.

If I ever got my cell phone stable enough, I'd be quick to shut down the phone. Perhaps I should evaluate that again.
Old 05-19-20, 02:55 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by canklecat
... PCs burn through data much quicker than cell phones, even just with ordinary web browsing rather than streaming movies.
​​​​​​Yeah. It's surprising by how much.

PC operating systems are huge, there are desktop applications that are larger than all of Android. If it's a modern computer and hasn't been online recently, there are probably several updates that will download in the background. That still chew up a lot of data. So this won't replace the ISP for most people.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.