Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is it worth putting $200 into my old Trek bicycle?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Is it worth putting $200 into my old Trek bicycle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-20, 08:55 AM
Eggman84

Bikes: 2014 Bruce Gordon Rock&Road, 1995 Santana Visa Tandem, 1990 Trek 520, 2012 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts
I would say no, its not worth it. Why? Well the OP says "I have a Trex bicycle that I purchased around 1994. I always loved that bike. It has about 24 gears, if I recall correctly." Its Trek and how does a bike have about ?# of gears. Sounds nostalgic but suspect the bike hasn't been ridden (let alone seen the light of day) in years. Now with the pandemic the owner wants to pull it out of storage and ride it again. But I question whether after getting the work done, the urge to ride will have passed, and it will go back into its dark hole again. I also understand the supply of new bikes is constrained right now and repairs are taking weeks. Hate to rain on someones parade but!
Old 08-19-20, 09:05 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
There isn’t any parade.

While we’re at it, maybe suggest new derailleurs and a crank for another $100.

Since the shop owner will probably be dumpster diving for cans between jobs to feed his family.

John
Old 08-19-20, 09:17 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
Originally Posted by headwind15
As A bicycle store owner/ mechanic for over 12 years, I find the term "a different rear sprocket to move the gears more correctly" disturbing. The mechanic is making up this terminology up. NEWSFLASH: there are no sprockets that will make your gears move more correctly. This is very similar to a car mechanic saying that your muffler bearings are shot! (in case you didn't know it, mufflers do not have bearings).
not correct. freehwheels and cassettes have shaped and "ramped" teeth that help with shifting. These started about the same time indexing started. So the OP could certainly have a freewheel or cassette that is just straight teeth or an early version of shaped and ramped teeth and moving to newer, more evolved design can certainly improve shiffting

Old 08-19-20, 10:15 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Originally Posted by squirtdad
not correct. freehwheels and cassettes have shaped and "ramped" teeth that help with shifting. These started about the same time indexing started. So the OP could certainly have a freewheel or cassette that is just straight teeth or an early version of shaped and ramped teeth and moving to newer, more evolved design can certainly improve shiffting
In 1994 8 speed would be a cassette. Not a chance Trek sold a bike with an 8 speed freewheel. Go take a look at a 1994 Trek catalog and see what bikes Trek offered with 8 speed and what 8 speed groups existed in 1994.

But since the OP’s bike doesn’t exist, we can pretend. Sure it’s an 8 speed Sachs Aris freewheel. It has gummed up shifters, probably brifters, or triggers. Or we can pretend they are 8 speed downtube shifters, bar ends, or thumbies.

It probably doesn’t matter since the OP might be tempted to spend $6000 on a new bike.

Should I buy a new tube for my bike or buy a new bike that already has a tube?

John

And a new wheel, all for $200.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 08-19-20 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-19-20, 10:42 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Several people have asked for the specific make and model of the bike. Is this just a hypothetical question, or are you asking about an actual bike that you own? If it's the latter, tell everyone what it is so they can respond knowledgeably. Otherwise you're just trolling.
Old 08-19-20, 11:02 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by RideBike2020
He said the repair of $200 is really not worthy it, since I could not sell it for $200 after the repair.
Were you thinking about selling it in the near future? If not, the fact that it's not worth $200 doesn't really matter.
Old 08-19-20, 11:30 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
As A bicycle store owner/ mechanic for over 12 years, I find the term "a different rear sprocket to move the gears more correctly" disturbing. The mechanic is making up this terminology up. NEWSFLASH: there are no sprockets that will make your gears move more correctly. This is very similar to a car mechanic saying that your muffler bearings are shot! (in case you didn't know it, mufflers do not have bearings).
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
In 1994 8 speed would be a cassette. Not a chance Trek sold a bike with an 8 speed freewheel. Go take a look at a 1994 Trek catalog and see what bikes Trek offered with 8 speed and what 8 speed groups existed in 1994.

But since the OP’s bike doesn’t exist, we can pretend. Sure it’s an 8 speed Sachs Aris freewheel. It has gummed up shifters, probably brifters, or triggers. Or we can pretend they are 8 speed downtube shifters, bar ends, or thumbies.

It probably doesn’t matter since the OP might be tempted to spend $6000 on a new bike.

Should I buy a new tube for my bike or buy a new bike that already has a tube?

John

And a new wheel, all for $200.
not sure what you are going on about. I made a general statement noting that there is such a thing as a cassette or freewheel that makes shifting better (due to tooth designs, ramps, pins,etc) compared to those with straight teeth.

not sure how this got conflated to 8 speed sachs, etc. and agree 1984 was probably cassette....but wasn't talking about OP's bike

now back to OP

Is your bike rideable now? Assume no, so if you want a bike to ride it seems like the options are
  • Spend $200 with LBS and ride
  • Find a bike for $200 and ride......but will it be a better bike your bike will be with spending the $200?
  • Fix it up yourself for under $200

Old 08-19-20, 11:48 AM
70sSanO

So the OP could certainly have a freewheel or cassette
This is why I brought up Sachs Aris, although I think IRD makes some 8 speed freewheels, and possibly others.

You were the one who said the OP could have an 8 speed freewheel.

It really doesn’t matter.

John
Old 08-19-20, 01:22 PM
markjenn

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
As A bicycle store owner/ mechanic for over 12 years, I find the term "a different rear sprocket to move the gears more correctly" disturbing.
We hearing things 2nd-hand from someone who is obviously not a bike mechanic.

- Mark
Old 08-19-20, 01:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
In 1994 8 speed would be a cassette. Not a chance Trek sold a bike with an 8 speed freewheel. Go take a look at a 1994 Trek catalog and see what bikes Trek offered with 8 speed and what 8 speed groups existed in 1994..

They still sell bikes with freewheels.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey
Old 08-19-20, 02:40 PM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by dedhed
They still sell bikes with freewheels.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...colorCode=grey
Just about everyone sells lower end bikes with 7 speed freewheels. That isn’t in question.

The OP stated 24 speed which is a 3x8. That would mean the freewheel would be 8 speed. I imagine there were a few mfg’s that used 8 speed freewheels, but I’m pretty sure Trek wasn’t one of them.

That is not an issue with the thread. The issue I have is an LBS quoting only $200 to replace a wheel, cassette, and brifters/triggers (gummed). I don’t think a shop can do the components, labor and any incidental parts for that.

In 1994, not all Shimano groups were 8 speed, most road were, but only XT and XTR were.

As a 24 speed bike, it could be touring or mountain with a 3x8, but not necessarily limited to those. But probably not a hybrid.

So my issue is that it seems fishy.

John
Old 08-19-20, 03:05 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
12/2013 to present.
Still riding my '95 800 Sport daily.
Nearly every penny I put into it increased the value of "worthless" another fold....
I love the bike and will continue to do so into the rideable future!
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 08-19-20, 10:07 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
I have a Trex bicycle that I purchased around 1994. I always loved that bike. It has about 24 gears, if I recall correctly.
I local bicycle repair shop said he would have to put a new rear wheel on, which includes sprockets to make the gears move correctly, and I also wanted new gear shifters, since the old one's are sticky and deteriorated. He said the repair of $200 is really not worthy it, since I could not sell it for $200 after the repair. I appreciate his honestly.

Do you think it's worth it?
It depends on how and where you're going to ride the bike. If it's something you're looking to ride multi use bike paths, dirt and gravel roads, or just cruising around the neighborhood, $200 is totally worth it! I've worked in the bicycle industry as a mechanic for the last 38 years. The last several months, I pretty much do this exact repair multiple times daily. The biggest issue is getting parts at the moment.
Although these bikes are pretty simple to work on, a lot of shops and mechanics simply don't have a lot of experience on bikes that are pre 2000, so they don't like to work on them.I know that sounds strange, but it's true! Lots of other mechanics love working on this type project. Personally, I'd look more into that kind of shop.
Compared to a new bike, a nicer Trek Marlin or Roscoe, which is the modern day equivalent of your bike, are going to set you back $800-$1200. If you're looking for something to ride on more rugged off road trails, a new bike would be a better option, but the price just goes up from there.
Old 08-20-20, 11:21 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
I have a Trex bicycle that I purchased around 1994. I always loved that bike. It has about 24 gears, if I recall correctly.
I local bicycle repair shop said he would have to put a new rear wheel on, which includes sprockets to make the gears move correctly, and I also wanted new gear shifters, since the old one's are sticky and deteriorated. He said the repair of $200 is really not worthy it, since I could not sell it for $200 after the repair. I appreciate his honestly.

Do you think it's worth it?
Probably.

Compare the price to what you'd spend on a new in-stock bicycle of similar or better quality.

For any bicycle from a bike shop, you'd probably spend much more to replace it without COVID-19 depleting inventory.

When I broke a discontinued spring in my Campagnolo 9 speed rear lever, it cost me $700 for mostly New Old Stock components to upgrade to 10 or 11 cogs not $4,500 for a new bicycle.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-23-20 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-22-20, 12:30 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
I'd save up some cash for a new bike and donate the old one (or sell it maybe). Even "special" bikes that we are nostalgic about we quickly forget once we have a new, better, lighter model. And new bikes are better and lighter.
Old 08-22-20, 06:26 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
You love the frame and fork, why not do it? Last year I put Campy 11 speed on my good ol' steel steed. Yep, could have purchased a new bike with Shimano tiagra and fancy frame, but that ol' frame and fork fit me so perfectly it wasn't even considered. The upgrade of drive train and wheels turned the bike into a modern machine and I love it all the more!

JUST DO IT
Old 08-23-20, 08:44 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I have an old Miele Uno LS frameset that I really like. I like it so much that I took it to a custom frame/bike builder and had braze-ons for cantilever brakes, brake brake housing stop, rear rack mounts on the seatstays, and a third pair of bottle mounts (under the downtube) added to the bike for only $65.00 Canadian including the parts. Then I put on some other components I had. The cost would have been in the $200.00 or so range BUT... I now have a road touring bike that fits me perfectly. I consider it money well spent.

This is the result.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man: