Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

(Quite) old aluminum bike - Has anybody seen this before?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 08:28 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts

Look at those lugs ! It's clearly French, and it's up for sale for a few $. Tell me why I shouldn't listen to reason and buy a 3rd bike this month.

Likes For jonny7:
Old 09-24-20, 08:37 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
WHOA that's super cool. Looks to be in the same vein as the venerable Caminade Caminargent. The French have a long history of screwing and/or gluing aluminum together to make bikes, starting with Caminargent and culminating with Vitus. They are also the home of the first welded aluminum bikes, autogenous aluminum welds being pioneered by Nicolas BARRA under the trademark "Barralumin".

I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it's not much to spend or much trouble.

The gold Simplex derailleur is easily worth $150 on the 'bay.
Old 09-24-20, 08:51 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
I’d buy it for the derailleur.
Likes For polymorphself:
Old 09-24-20, 08:54 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

I think I'd buy it for the whole thing - it would kinda be sad to part out a bike that has come here from France just to make a few bucks. I'll definitely ask for a test ride!
Old 09-25-20, 01:47 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 4,586 Times in 1,764 Posts
Very pretty! I have seen a Duravia bike before. In Belgium, IIRC.
I may even have posted a pic on this forum. I'll see if I can find it.
Meanwhile you go get the bike.

Old 09-25-20, 04:02 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Use Google translate and this page to find out everything you want to know https://bike-cafe.fr/2020/04/duravia...gn-intemporel/
Old 09-25-20, 05:15 AM
KenNC

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
That is the most unique and interesting thing I've seen in quite awhile. Really hope you get it, clean it up, and thoroughly document it here with photos.
Old 09-25-20, 07:19 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Do it.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 09-25-20, 07:21 AM
jonny7

Originally Posted by KenNC
That is the most unique and interesting thing I've seen in quite awhile. Really hope you get it, clean it up, and thoroughly document it here with photos.
someone jumped on it while I was gathering some info... arff
Old 09-25-20, 08:29 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
J-7,
I don't know what the ask was on this one. You seem to be missing out on a few nice bikes first the Colnago and now this one...I think that you are finding some nice rides and you have an eye for quality...trust your instincts a little more.
If you like a bike and it meets the criteria of fit, price etc., buy it, the worse that could happen is that you overpaid a bit, BUT you will have a bike that you LIKE...we've all overpaid at some time, buy it if you like it no biggie.
Buy the next time ask later, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 09-25-20, 09:07 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 311 Posts
If you have to ask about this one........................................C+V is not for you.
Old 09-25-20, 09:14 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by xiaoman1
J-7,
I don't know what the ask was on this one. You seem to be missing out on a few nice bikes first the Colnago and now this one...I think that you are finding some nice rides and you have an eye for quality...trust your instincts a little more.
If you like a bike and it meets the criteria of fit, price etc., buy it, the worse that could happen is that you overpaid a bit, BUT you will have a bike that you LIKE...we've all overpaid at some time, buy it if you like it no biggie.
Especially if it was for "a few dollars" wow.
Old 09-25-20, 09:18 AM
jonny7

J-7,
You are correct! Two losses in a few days is hard to accept. This one was sadly not even a matter of price, I just couldn't go see the bike immediately, and withheld my offer just a little too long. After the Colnago I wrote "lesson learned", I guess now I should write "lessonS learned"!
Old 09-25-20, 09:34 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Probably the single best, and most honest piece of advice ever given here.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 09-25-20, 09:35 AM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by jadocs
Especially if it was for "a few dollars" wow.
Originally Posted by jonny7
You are correct! Two losses in a few days is hard to accept. This one was sadly not even a matter of price, I just couldn't go see the bike immediately, and withheld my offer just a little too long. After the Colnago I wrote "lesson learned", I guess now I should write "lessonS learned"!
Yes, paying a little more for something will be long forgotten if you really enjoy it....losing to save a dollar...well, we've all done that.
Don't beat yourself up...there will be others, you are on the downhill side of the learning curve.
Best, Ben

Last edited by xiaoman1; 09-25-20 at 09:42 AM.
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 09-25-20, 10:34 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 278 Posts
It needed a longer chain anyway. Just as well someone else has to deal with that - right?
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 09-25-20, 11:44 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
Probably the single best, and most honest piece of advice ever given here.
Well... unless it is marked "Huffy", or "Dutchess", or "Murray", or ... (with a few exceptions).

But, I agree, once one sees the signs of the quality of bike one wants, jump on it quickly. I've kicked myself for getting up and getting a cup of hot chocolate while pondering a deal.

Unfortunately, I set my Craigslist drag net about 150 miles... and for some items up to about 500 miles, and the harder to get to, the more things that are missed.

As far as The Colnago, I've been avoiding the aluminum Colnago frames, although that bike does have some unique features that might make it worth following up on.

It is hard to say about the Duravia bike. It might have been fun, but not necessarily the choice for a regular rider. The bolt-on lugs are a unique feature, and certainly could help with maintenance, although finding spares might be impossible.
Old 09-26-20, 07:47 AM
xiaoman1 

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
It needed a longer chain anyway. Just as well someone else has to deal with that - right?
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Well... unless it is marked "Huffy", or "Dutchess", or "Murray", or ... (with a few exceptions).

But, I agree, once one sees the signs of the quality of bike one wants, jump on it quickly. I've kicked myself for getting up and getting a cup of hot chocolate while pondering a deal.

Unfortunately, I set my Craigslist drag net about 150 miles... and for some items up to about 500 miles, and the harder to get to, the more things that are missed.

As far as The Colnago, I've been avoiding the aluminum Colnago frames, although that bike does have some unique features that might make it worth following up on.

It is hard to say about the Duravia bike. It might have been fun, but not necessarily the choice for a regular rider. The bolt-on lugs are a unique feature, and certainly could help with maintenance, although finding spares might be impossible.
These are a great way to "rationalize" missing on something that I wanted to buy but missed out on.....I'm putting these quotes away for future reference....
I feel better already
Best, Ben
Old 09-26-20, 10:34 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
When deciding whether or not to buy a bike, and if you can afford it, it helps to heed the advice of 2 great thinkers:
"Follow your Bliss" - Joseph Campbell
"Let your Conscience be your Guide"- Jiminy Cricket