Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Left crank coming loose

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Left crank coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-20, 02:18 PM
fcoy2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Left crank coming loose

I have a Fuji Saratoga road bike from around 1990, and my left crank is starting to come loose. I tightened up the nut and added some threadlock about 3 months ago and it has just come loose again. Would replacing the crankset with something like a Shimano M361 Hybrid Crankset be the solution or would this require replacing the bottom bracket as well? Thanks!
Old 10-04-20, 03:19 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If you have ridden the bike with the arm loose, there is a good chance that the tapered eye of the arm has gotten deformed (assuming you have the common square taper system). It is possible to replace just the arm; you need to match the length (generally cast into the inside of the arm) and the orientation of the taper, so-called diamond or square.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 10-04-20, 03:26 PM
fcoy2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
If you have ridden the bike with the arm loose, there is a good chance that the tapered eye of the arm has gotten deformed (assuming you have the common square taper system). It is possible to replace just the arm; you need to match the length (generally cast into the inside of the arm) and the orientation of the taper, so-called diamond or square.
I have stopped my ride (on a cycling trainer) each time it has come loose, so unless it causes damage before you can feel the "wobble" I wouldn't say I've ridden on it loose. It doesn't seem right that it has come loose twice in the past 3-4 months, which is why I am considering replacing the crankset. Thanks for your reply!
Old 10-04-20, 04:17 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Is it a square taper crank ?
There could be a crack in the crank arm.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 10-04-20, 05:12 PM
fcoy2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Is it a square taper crank ?
There could be a crack in the crank arm.
I believe it is (I'm not the most knowledgable about the specifics of the bike hardware). I didn't notice a crack, but I wasn't looking for one either. I'll check it out. Thx!
Old 10-04-20, 05:35 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I would start looking for a replacement crank arm ! If you're just using the bike on a trainer, I wouldn't be terribly concerned about a "brand" match, as long as the arm length and the mode of fit to the bottom bracket spindle are the same. I'd pay attention to the torque specifications when mounting the replacement crank arm. I can't recall them at the moment but just ask the "Google"! Too loose is obviously an issue but too tight can deform the square taper on the crank arm and cause continued issues.
Old 10-05-20, 08:56 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Keeps coming loose. Time for a new one. Comes loose one time and it's toast.
Old 10-05-20, 09:23 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
One other thing to look at: mount the crank, tighten the fixing bolt/nut to 'prescribed' torque if known, remove the
bolt/nut and see if the end of the sq taper spindle is at least 1/16" inside the crank. If the spindle end is flush
with the bearing surface of the crank which is the part the bolt/nut push on then loosening of the crank will occur.
Some have shimmed the sq taper on the spindle to push the crank out eg small squares of soda can metal in
this scenario.
Old 10-05-20, 04:56 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by sch
One other thing to look at: mount the crank, tighten the fixing bolt/nut to 'prescribed' torque if known, remove the
bolt/nut and see if the end of the sq taper spindle is at least 1/16" inside the crank. If the spindle end is flush
with the bearing surface of the crank which is the part the bolt/nut push on then loosening of the crank will occur.
Some have shimmed the sq taper on the spindle to push the crank out eg small squares of soda can metal in
this scenario.
I have shimmed many a square taper crank by gluing soda can shims to each flat of the spindle. That has given the crank years more use. Be aware that it might move the crank outboard a bit.

Cheers
Old 11-30-20, 11:26 AM
Matthew913

Bikes: Lectric XP (Black)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I have an ebike with the same issue, only it's almost brand new - only 125 miles so far. I hand tightened it and it still comes loose. Should I try threadlock or something similar first? I reported it to the mfg to see what they say.
Old 11-30-20, 11:40 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I have shimmed many a square taper crank by gluing soda can shims to each flat of the spindle. That has given the crank years more use. Be aware that it might move the crank outboard a bit.

Cheers
Thanks for this. I have wondered for a long time if wrapping aluminum foil around the male part would work.
Old 11-30-20, 12:09 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
You can typically buy just a left crank arm to replace it.
Old 11-30-20, 12:14 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew913
I have an ebike with the same issue, only it's almost brand new - only 125 miles so far. I hand tightened it and it still comes loose. Should I try threadlock or something similar first? I reported it to the mfg to see what they say.
depends on the type of crank arm/ spindle interface. this is common with conventional square taper cranksets. most likely, the fixing bolt was never properly torqued in the first place (should be in the neighborhood of 30 foot-pounds). if it came loose and was ridden like that at all, the alumuminum crank arm will wallow out on the harder steel spindle. replace the crank arm only for the easiest fix, and use a torque wrench to ensure that the fixing bolt is done up right the first time.
Old 11-30-20, 03:51 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by mdarnton
Thanks for this. I have wondered for a long time if wrapping aluminum foil around the male part would work.
NO! It won't work as the aluminium foil is far to delicate. I use a gel cyanoacrylic glue to hold each of 4 soda can shims on each of the 4 spindle flats. I make each shim JUST big enough to cover the spindle flat. I let the glue cure well before putting on the crankarm.

Which crankset do you have and how long is the crankarm?

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 11-30-20, 04:09 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Normally when a square taper crank arm is damaged like this from riding it while loose the tapers in the arm get damaged 2 ways. Straight up enlarged, and also they get a bit twisted. I've been doing this for a living (being a mechanic, not killing crank arms) for a long time, over 25 years, and I've never once heard anyone talk about aluminum can shims or claim they work well/for a long time. That's one of the lamest fixes I've ever heard.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 12-02-20, 07:04 PM
Matthew913

Bikes: Lectric XP (Black)

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Everyone here was right, the nut coming loose indicated that the threads inside the crank were stripped. Lectric gave me a new one right away and the problem is solved. Thanks to everyone's input on this thread
Likes For Matthew913:
Old 12-03-20, 07:33 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
...over 25 years, and I've never once heard anyone talk about aluminum can shims or claim they work well/for a long time.
Logically at least one of those statements cannot be true -> if the second is true it nullifies the first

As an R&D engineer I would say that most of my work has involved things no one ever talk about before, and I have seen crazy sounding things work. I now rather hope I will one day get to test the idea.
Old 12-05-20, 09:21 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
My solution when it happened to my bike at burning man - have an itinerant welder (there were a couple there) - tack weld the nut to the bottom bracket spindle. It worked till I got home then I replaced the spindle and left crank arm