Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I was today years old when I learned…

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-20, 04:51 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts

I love learning about little hidden features in my gear. For instance, I had no idea when I was a kid that the notch on the bottle opener/flat head screwdriver on my Swiss Army knife is a wire stripper, and it has a little hole for a pin or needle behind the corkscrew.

Today, I noticed for the first time in 20 years that the grips on my pump were removable. I pushed one off and found the accessories, which I’d never really missed before now. The other grip slides off too but is empty. I was kind of hoping it would have tire levers, or that the grips themselves would be tire levers.

Do you have any stories of things you had all along but never figured out until much later?

Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 12-08-20, 08:55 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've had this thing in a tool drawer for years, maybe decades, and could never figure out what it was for.

It's a common brand of kitchen ware. I could never bring myself to get rid of it as I figured I might modify it into something useful.

At some point earlier this year, I realized that it is a paint can opener, & it works quite well for that.

Old 12-08-20, 09:01 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
I've been discovering little things in my computer for the last 20 years!
Old 12-08-20, 09:07 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
II had no idea when I was a kid that the notch on the bottle opener/flat head screwdriver on my Swiss Army knife is a wire stripper,
Thanks for sharing, didn't know that.
Old 12-08-20, 09:13 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,740 Times in 1,013 Posts
All the things you can do with a 14-1 painters tool is mind blowing....my Mom was a single parent of 3 and learned and taught the 3 kids many skills when we were young and one of the things she passed along was make sure you have this tool in your box.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 12-08-20, 11:53 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by Reynolds
We have some computers at work that are not on the internet. In a small final cruelty they also don’t have minesweeper, free cell, or pinball
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-09-20, 06:48 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
We have some computers at work that are not on the internet. In a small final cruelty they also don’t have minesweeper, free cell, or pinball
But do they have Colossal Cave? That's all you really need.
Old 12-09-20, 06:59 AM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
isn’t there an OSHA rule or something against that?
Old 12-09-20, 08:26 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
All the things you can do with a 14-1 painters tool is mind blowing....my Mom was a single parent of 3 and learned and taught the 3 kids many skills when we were young and one of the things she passed along was make sure you have this tool in your box.
I've used mine to remove paint and decals from bike frames that I'm stripping, especially the concave stripper portions. Super useful for bikes, too!
Old 12-09-20, 04:32 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

LOL....so a paper weight... Although I just recently had to say my final goodbyes to a 1998 IBM ThinkPad 560E I picked up off Ebay in 2000 for like 350 for my wife to use for her sewing\embroidery machine. I think new they were close to 4100 or something like that. Very stupid money when you think about how cheap they are today and for what you can do with them now. I loved IBM laptops, their parts channel was the best in the business and I think pc and laptop sales kept ebay afloat for many years as they sold the corporate returns. I replaced everything in that PC at least twice, so parts more than other,....case cooling fans a lot....... , I got very good at know what had to come out. The problem now is that they are getting harder to find old units still with working parts and then when you do....they prices are very steep. The hard drive died and I had run out of spare 40 pin drives from old systems I had or had worked on for people that were upgrading or whatever and since this machine was still running Windows 95, its not worth stuffing a drive in there it wont be able to read anyway. Plus, the real reason is I really was tire of maintaining it and she had really not used that sewing machine for the embroidery work anyway....so I told her it was time, she was old and tired and it was the time to put her down, sort of pull the plug if you will . We said our goodbyes and shed a tear as I left it at Staples to be recycled along with all the other crap I had in that closet I was never going to need anyway since I got out of the family\friend tech support business.

So all in all, it was a good day.

Old 12-09-20, 04:34 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I've used mine to remove paint and decals from bike frames that I'm stripping, especially the concave stripper portions. Super useful for bikes, too!
yea I found they remove shoe molding like a champ and will cut through brad nails like a hot knife through butter.

Old 12-09-20, 04:39 PM
jaxgtr

If you have a caulk gun with a little hole in the handle like this one, you can use that to cut the tube of caulk, thus you dont need a knife to open the caulk....

Old 12-09-20, 05:01 PM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I accidentally reduced the size of my viewing font on my desktop while using an Alt key code to make ½. I didn't know what I did as I was typing fast (for me) and wasn't paying attention. I found the fix today - hold the control key down and spin the mouse wheel and you can set the viewing font as big or small as you want it.

If you have a caulk gun with a little hole in the handle like this one, you can use that to cut the tube of caulk, thus you dont need a knife to open the caulk....

It's also easy to overlook the seal penetrating pin that's on the bottom of the front of the caulk gun you have pictured. Not all guns have them.
Likes For Deal4Fuji:
Old 12-09-20, 05:04 PM
jaxgtr

Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
I accidentally reduced the size of my viewing font on my desktop while using an Alt key code to make ½. I didn't know what I did as I was typing fast (for me) and wasn't paying attention. I found the fix today - hold the control key down and spin the mouse wheel and you can set the viewing font as big or small as you want it.

It's also easy to overlook the seal penetrating pin that's on the bottom of the front of the caulk gun you have pictured. Not all guns have them.
Yep, forgot about that...my gun has that and it is very handy

Old 12-10-20, 08:40 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
I love learning about little hidden features in my gear. For instance, I had no idea when I was a kid that the notch on the bottle opener/flat head screwdriver on my Swiss Army knife is a wire stripper, and it has a little hole for a pin or needle behind the corkscrew.
The things you can do with a Swiss Army knife never ceases to amaze me! There are a ton of YT videos with creative uses that show what these iconic and reasonably priced tools can do.

I can be entertained with my modest collection for hours and I always take one on my rides.....
Old 12-10-20, 10:28 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Then there's this thing- I got it out of a dumpster years ago, and finally figured out that it is a ...

oh wait, I still don't know what it is.

Old 12-10-20, 10:36 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,929 Times in 2,554 Posts
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji
My mouse doesn't have a wheel. It's not even a unicycle. Pretty useless. I thought I was on my way to learning great things but stymied.
Old 12-10-20, 11:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Then there's this thing- I got it out of a dumpster years ago, and finally figured out that it is a ...

It might be a Turboencabulator, but it’s probably just a Thing.

Old 12-11-20, 01:13 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,081 Posts
I guess I was 40 years old, mindlessly pumping gas in my car at a Shell station, when I realized their logo is actually a shell. Not really a useful thing, other than to confirm my wife is correct in that I'm clueless.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 12-11-20, 09:03 AM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
My mouse doesn't have a wheel. It's not even a unicycle. Pretty useless. I thought I was on my way to learning great things but stymied.
Ctrl+ to increase. Ctrl- (that's a minus sign) to decrease. Ctrl0 (zero) to reset to 100%
Old 12-11-20, 09:32 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
25 yrs ago before we were on the internet at work part of the SOP for installing workstations was removing minesweeper, free cell and other games. Can't have people goofing off on the job! Of course people just brought their own from home and installed them.
Likes For locolobo13:
Old 12-11-20, 09:42 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
A spring on my garage door snapped last week and we had to get it replaced. I learned that a) while I love DIY home repairs, this one was beyond my skills and safety comfort level, and b) the spring on a garage door does most of the work to lift the door. if the door didn't have that spring, the automatic opener would not be powerful enough to lift it alone.

Originally Posted by woodcraft

I looked up that company and it appears they made film projectors and related equipment. My grandfather worked on stuff like that can could probably tell you what it is if he was alive. The Smithsonian Museum of American History apparently has an archive of that company's products, so maybe they can tell you.
Old 12-11-20, 10:25 AM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts

I remember being shown that, and feeling so unobservant for not noticing.
that was about the time I realized my saw handle was a built in square for marking cuts. When that saw disappeared my new one did not have the 90 degree angle.
mold tools rarely did only one thing.
Old 12-11-20, 10:31 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

I recalled I also posted this some years ago. It's a spoke wrench, but I've no explanation for the rest of it. Found in my Dad's tools after he passed, so can't ask him

Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-11-20, 11:04 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
TTHP!

I'm actually learning things, thanks guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.