Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New Bike Day: Huffy Parkview

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

New Bike Day: Huffy Parkview

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-20, 07:17 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
To the OP, BlindGuyRides , chill, it’s something many of us have gone through; here you will get unvarnished opinions and advice. Lots of us have spent time changing, cobbling together, “upgrading” things only to find that it wasn’t worth doing. They’re telling you the “smart play”!

There CAN be educational value in swapping stuff, though it’s generally better to spend time & money changing things on something that is “worth it”... but nobody here is saying a bike is not worth it cause they’re trying to give you a hard time. We’re just saying “keep your powder dry”- save your money for when it’s a good idea to use it & DON’T try to make a bike something it’s not.

****SO: 1. is there something about the fit of this bike for you, or about how it functions (or doesn’t) that you specifically want to change?? Then describe that feeling.

****2. Because if NOT, then probably better to focus on only upgrading consumables [brake pads, tires] for better ones when it needs it, and not structural stuff. Save that for the next bike & ride this one since it’s fine as-is.
Old 12-17-20, 07:49 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by BlindGuyRides
So help me figure out 'now what.'
Now what, is i wonder why You are so negative. I gave you my best, you chose to crap on me. That's okay .... that's who the world is sometimes. Not everyone tells you what you want to hear.

I won't bother telling you anything. I wish you will on your farm and with your bike.

Last edited by cb400bill; 12-17-20 at 08:51 PM.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 12-17-20, 08:02 PM
BlindGuyRides

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I bought a Huffy mountain bike for $160 when I first started riding. I did 10 miles then 10 turned to 60 within 3 or 4 months. That is when I knew it was time to get a more efficient bike. Efficient meaning better flat repair equipment such as quick release seeing back then the hubs were all bolted.

Ride it then decide later if you want to spend more money. If so, get a better quality bike or you will continue spending money on low end fragile parts repairs.
Good general plan. I had hoped to find any 'OK what could I do with replacing 'now' to better fit where I am riding' but this at least is trying to be helpful.

Originally Posted by dedhed
threaded (quill) to threadless isn't a real option as you'd have to change the fork and find one with the proper steer length, rake, brake mounting, and wheel size - if a 1 1/8" would even fit your headtube, not to mention a headset as well. One option would be an adaptor.

Plan on trueing and tensioning spokes as the wheels loosen up as most lower end wheels do.

I'd think about replacing the low end rear derailleur and twist shifters if they give you any trouble in the future, upgrading to trigger shifters and a better RD like Altus. I'd wait until they fail and run what's on there now. Figure on Kool stop pads on the brakes when they need replacing. Same with tires, if they are working for you now run, them until they need replacement and then upgrade to something else.
In general, ride it as it came except for dialing in fit (which may change as you get your fitness up) save your money for either replacing low end parts when they fail, or upgrading to a better bike in the future.
I'd been nosing around to try getitng more helpful and specific information on HOW what i have sucks beyond 'LOL WALMART BIKE SHAPED OBJECT SCRUB GIT GUD SPEND FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS OR GO HOME'

Because until I get those specifics I neither know HOW the bike i have is defeciant, what I should be looking for instead because unlike seemingly everyone here I am not made out of money. As stated earlier, this is what I have. Options and times where i feel like I can afford to spend a little here and a little there ome maybe a couple times a year. So while you and everyone else here can just go 'lol your bukke sucks go buy something five times as expensive THEN come back here after taking your bike shaped object to the garbage' IS NOT HELPFUL.

Give me specifics. Give me WHY a shemano flat face is garbage. Give me WHY the bike's geomatry is wrong. Otherwise i will go under the notion you are some hipster douchnozzle that wants to stroke their own ego.

Originally Posted by Charliekeet
To the OP, BlindGuyRides , chill, it’s something many of us have gone through; here you will get unvarnished opinions and advice. Lots of us have spent time changing, cobbling together, “upgrading” things only to find that it wasn’t worth doing. They’re telling you the “smart play”!

There CAN be educational value in swapping stuff, though it’s generally better to spend time & money changing things on something that is “worth it”... but nobody here is saying a bike is not worth it cause they’re trying to give you a hard time. We’re just saying “keep your powder dry”- save your money for when it’s a good idea to use it & DON’T try to make a bike something it’s not.

****SO: 1. is there something about the fit of this bike for you, or about how it functions (or doesn’t) that you specifically want to change?? Then describe that feeling.

****2. Because if NOT, then probably better to focus on only upgrading consumables [brake pads, tires] for better ones when it needs it, and not structural stuff. Save that for the next bike & ride this one since it’s fine as-is.
Originally Posted by veganbikes
You should be here to learn and comment and be a part of this community and also get inspired to ride your bike or learn something new. I know you feel like everyone is pilling on but we are trying to be honest with you sure maybe some folks were perceived as a little more negative out of the gate but it is the internet and emotion doesn't ever come through in pure text.
Except from the word Go I have bene piled on by people going 'oh that's a bike shaped object' 'throw it in the garbage and buy a 'real' bike' and variations of the above. How is that warm and welcoming to a newbie looking to try getting into a hobby? How does that tell me that this is somewhereI can feel welcome at? It doesn't. My above comment goes triple for you. Til you start being helpful.

Either start helping by BEING helpful and eduating without any of the backhanded 'Unlike YOUR piece of junk a REWAL bike' lip...

Or.

Shut your mouth. Put your hand back in the cheeto bag. And go back to being a pretentious hipster that likes to think everyone can just **** out money to throw at the problem. As I have stated. THIS IS WHAT I HAVE TO WORK WITH AND I AM STARTING OUT AFTER A TWENTY YEAR NOTHING.

And this is how you lot Greet me? Then start wagging your finger going on at how intolerable /I/ am acting.

Bet your'e one of those airheads that goes screaming at retail people at how horrible they ar for not immediately giving them what you want.

I came here knowing 'ok what i have is low end.' and get dogged the whole way through.

A few helpful comments have started trickling in, which... OK it's thin on a few things but given the generalities of my initial post that's understandable. You sir? You can shut your mouth. i don't care who you are, or friends you have. Do not come here lecturing me on behavior when your community has decided to circle around taking turns at dunking on the newbie trying to wallet shame me because this is what i have, which does not meet your goddamned standards.

I have lain out your options. Pick One.
Old 12-17-20, 08:51 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Lol, another one of these whiny, butthurt self-martyring threads. You came here knowing exactly what kind of response you would get and you got it. Get down off that cross, there are better uses for the lumber.

Last edited by mack_turtle; 12-17-20 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-17-20, 08:55 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,594 Times in 3,781 Posts
Blindguyrides, your thread has gone off the rails. We are now going to close this thread before it goes any further.

If you would like to continue talking about your bike, we suggest starting a new thread.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 12-18-20, 09:00 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11968 Post(s)
Liked 6,641 Times in 3,481 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
If you would like to continue talking about your bike, we suggest starting a new thread.
. . . and improving your attitude. PM me if you wish to discuss.
Likes For BillyD: