Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Desmarais how to determine its value

Old 01-16-21, 03:28 PM
TomPogson116

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Traveler'sXCheck, Midnight Special, Troll, Big Fat Dummy, Demarais road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Desmarais how to determine its value

I tried posting images but were not allowed. Any help appreciated.
Old 01-17-21, 04:55 PM
TomPogson116

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Traveler'sXCheck, Midnight Special, Troll, Big Fat Dummy, Demarais road bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm hoping to post images of this lovely bike, albeit in slightly rough shape, but riedable, ASAP.
Old 01-17-21, 05:11 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I have to shrink photos to around 800x800 pixels and around 50% resolution at times to post them.
Old 01-17-21, 05:34 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 207 Posts
link to pics
Old 01-17-21, 07:39 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 2,230 Times in 1,303 Posts
Pic assist

Old 01-19-21, 02:29 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Value is defined by marketing skills, the bicycle itself, its condition, its size and, believe it or not, its location. In this case we have a relatively unknown brand, in poor cosmetic condition. It may or may not be in sound mechanical condition. It will need lubrication, tires, probably brake pads and such. If you can do the work yourself, figure on a hundred dollars for a basic rebuilt. If you have to have the work done by someone else, add at least another hundred dollars.

Personally, were the bike offered to me, I would go $50 to $100 and no more. I determine value by doing this for a long long time and after finding, building, riding and parting with hundreds of vintage road bicycles. I also go to completed auctions on Ebay to see what bikes are/have sold for. In this case, you might not find many bikes to compare due to the obscure nature of the make.

So, best of luck with the bike and one more thing - are vintage road bikes popular in Alaska? My guess would be not so much - another value impactor.
Old 01-19-21, 05:31 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts
If this bike showed up on my local marketplace, I'd probably offer a bit more than what Randyjawa would. From what I know, Desmarais bikes were build in Trois-Rivières, Québec (I wonder how yours got to Alaska!) and are somehow related to Limongi bikes. I've never seen a low-end Desmarais, most of them are either mid-range or hi-end stuff (at least from what I've seen). What is the groupset on yours? Looks like 105? I really love the color combo of the frame btw. Would love to see the bike in person. I'd love to own a DMS.