Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Quickstep Rode Tubeless And Won

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-05-21, 03:10 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts

So I was listening to a recap of the race the announcer said the whole team was on clinchers. I assume he was referring to tubeless given the race was a spring classic and there cobbled sections. Pretty significant that they also won in that setup.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 03-05-21, 05:27 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
The team had committed to tubed clinchers for the ‘21 season, but there was some uncertainty around the classics, so yeah, you could be right about tubeless.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bor...yres-entirely/
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-05-21, 05:41 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
"Rode" and "Road" - gotta love English

It was my understanding that quickstep was running tubeless clinchers but they were still using inner tubes instead of full tubeless. Education First was also running tubeless last year with prototype foam inserts.
Old 03-05-21, 06:07 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Remember as a Pro, the best product you ride is the one the Sponser tells you to ride
Likes For Dirk de Chablis:
Old 03-05-21, 09:20 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
If they're riding clinchers anyway, what would be the disadvantage of setting them up tubeless? Isn't the rolling resistance on tubeless generally better than tubed?
Old 03-05-21, 09:24 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
If they're riding clinchers anyway, what would be the disadvantage of setting them up tubeless? Isn't the rolling resistance on tubeless generally better than tubed?
Generally, but with the right combination of tire and latex tube, the clincher could eek ahead. Specialized thinks that their Turbo Cottons are the fastest things around and they're so confident in them that their new high-end wheels don't support tubeless and opt for lighter weight, instead IIRC.
Old 03-05-21, 09:36 AM
msu2001la

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Generally, but with the right combination of tire and latex tube, the clincher could eek ahead. Specialized thinks that their Turbo Cottons are the fastest things around and they're so confident in them that their new high-end wheels don't support tubeless and opt for lighter weight, instead IIRC.
OK, that makes sense and I read the article above after posting my question. I guess I didn't realize that the Turbo Cotton is not tubeless compatible (that's what the RapidAir is), so if Specialized wants to feature the Turbo Cotton in races, they need to run it with tubes.

I assume for races where they run the Rapid Air instead, they use a different wheelset that's tubeless, or are they running those tires with tubes on the same wheels?
Old 03-05-21, 09:49 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
The main benefit to Tubs are if you puncture you can still ride on a flat till you can get service, with a clincher the tyre comes off and you're on the rim. All the test will come out in favour of the manufacturer as to who has the fastest tyre, whether it's Conti, Michelin, Pirrelli, Spesh, Schwable and all the tests ore done on a nice indoor rig. In the real world and the road there's too many variables with surface, air pressure, humidity, wind direction and rim profile for a difinitive answer. Anyway Tubs feel better than clinchers and sound better
Old 03-05-21, 09:53 AM
WhyFi

I assume for races where they run the Rapid Air instead, they use a different wheelset that's tubeless, or are they running those tires with tubes on the same wheels?
Pfft - I don't know. Honestly, I really don't understand why they say that their Rapide CLX aren't tubeless compatible. I mean, they say that tubeless exerts more pressure and that the Rapide aren't built to withstand that pressure, but I'm not following how they can handle 120psi if it's in a tube but not when it's tubeless.
Old 03-05-21, 10:58 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,563 Times in 3,763 Posts
Fixed thread title typo

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 03-05-21, 11:00 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
You wouldn’t think there would be any disadvantage to running tubeless, would you? Besides having the resources of a pro team, including dedicated techs to manage maintenance and readiness, Specialized say they developed the RapidAir in conjunction with Deceunink-Quickstep, so you’d assume the team had their basic concerns met in the final design.

That said, there’s a lot of unclear messaging going on just in the article I posted upthread alone, so it’s not at all clear to me that we know what the situation actually is. I can easily imagine that the RapidAir tubeless might be constructed to be more of a poor conditions or perhaps wet weather performer, and the Turbo Cotton clincher the max performance dry tire. However, the article made it seem that the team may not have use RapidAir on the race cobbles, so does that mean they ran tubulars despite the assertions they’re all clincher this season? Or that they ran the Turbo Cotton for that section but will use RapidAir tubeless generally? Or that they ran the RapidAir tubed for the cobbles, perhaps because the new Specialized wheels aren’t tubeless compatible?
Old 03-05-21, 11:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6176 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Tubeless are clinchers too right? I suppose tubular tires might could be tubeless if someone makes them. Never looked, are there tubeless tubulars?
Old 03-05-21, 11:16 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Iride01
I suppose tubular tires might could be tubeless if someone makes them. Never looked, are there tubeless tubulars?
I believe that there are some out there, but not at all common.
Old 03-05-21, 11:37 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Tubeless are clinchers too right? I suppose tubular tires might could be tubeless if someone makes them. Never looked, are there tubeless tubulars?
No... although Tufo's innertubes aren't exactly "tubes".
Old 03-05-21, 12:16 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Never looked, are there tubeless tubulars?
Yes. Dugast makes some, for instance.
Old 03-05-21, 12:17 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Tufo tubular tires are tubeless
Old 03-05-21, 12:44 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirk de Chablis
The main benefit to Tubs are if you puncture you can still ride on a flat till you can get service, with a clincher the tyre comes off and you're on the rim. All the test will come out in favour of the manufacturer as to who has the fastest tyre, whether it's Conti, Michelin, Pirrelli, Spesh, Schwable and all the tests ore done on a nice indoor rig. In the real world and the road there's too many variables with surface, air pressure, humidity, wind direction and rim profile for a difinitive answer. Anyway Tubs feel better than clinchers and sound better
Modern tubeless rims don't let go of tires, ask anyone who's tried to change a tire on a newer rim lately. Especially for the one-day races, tubeless vs latex makes very little difference. With a latex innertube your day is over. If tubeless punctures and doesn't seal quickly your day is still done because the rolling resistance will be high.
Old 03-08-21, 01:44 PM
msu2001la

I have a set of Donnelly's CX tubulars that are tubeless. Donnelly PDX
They are supposedly less prone to pinch flatting, and sealant can help seal up small cuts/holes like a standard tubeless tire, but they don't need sealant. I've never added sealant to mine, which are now 2 years old, and they hold air fine.
Old 03-08-21, 02:03 PM
msu2001la

Also aren't tubular wheelsets lighter than clinchers?

I have a feeling if it weren't for sponsor input, pro teams would be on tubulars 100% of the time. The downsides to tubulars (cost, setup hassle, more complicated/impossible roadside fixes) are all negated by having huge budgets, pro mechanics and team cars.

I'd be curious to know if any pro riders actually prefer the Turbo Cotton (with tubes) over a tubular setup. Pro riders probably all hate tubeless because the casings are a little stiffer.
Old 03-08-21, 02:17 PM
WhyFi

Yes, but with UCI regs on minimum weight, I don't think it's uncommon to have to ballast the bikes, anyway.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-08-21, 03:08 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts

I have a feeling if it weren't for sponsor input, pro teams would be on tubulars 100% of the time. The downsides to tubulars (cost, setup hassle, more complicated/impossible roadside fixes) are all negated by having huge budgets, pro mechanics and team cars.

I'd be curious to know if any pro riders actually prefer the Turbo Cotton (with tubes) over a tubular setup. Pro riders probably all hate tubeless because the casings are a little stiffer.
It was my understanding that clinchers are faster during say a TT but tubulars are safer on a decent and you could continue to run on a flat tubular.
Old 03-08-21, 03:27 PM
awaumans

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Israel Startup Nation apparently rode tubeless all year last season, Dowsett said and had the least flats of the whole peloton throughout the year.
Old 03-08-21, 04:37 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Generally the same with latex tubes.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 03-08-21, 04:39 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Not really. Lots of good info about the fastest setups out there. There are a couple of leading sources on this info that are very well regarded.
Old 03-09-21, 12:10 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Yes, but with UCI regs on minimum weight, I don't think it's uncommon to have to ballast the bikes, anyway.
Or just ride disc brakes 😁
​​​​​​