Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dura ace BR-7400 rear brake installation

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-21, 10:25 AM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts

Hello all, I'm having a small issue trying to reinstall the rear brake on one of my CV bikes.

I removed and disassembled the brake to work a bit on the return spring, which I felt had lost its shape. Now I can't manage to install it back on the frame. When I screw the nut in, I reach a point where it wont screw in anymore and where applying excess force only results in rotating the pivot bolt and forcing the return spring exactly how I'd like to avoid to force it. I don't know if this make sense. Bottom line is: I'm not able to fully screw the brake in. There's a gap I can't get rid of and I'm wondering if I a dumbly missing something here. I'm pretty sure I am not missing a spacer, although this could seem like a possible solution.

Old 03-07-21, 11:21 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
What I don't see is the toothed spacer/washer that usually is located between the caliper and the brake bridge face. The amount of nut that is not seating against the bridge is about the thickness of the toothed spacer. BTW my understanding is that the toothed spacer is to better keep the caliper from rotating on it's mounting bolt and thus become "un centered". Andy

I'll also add that the spring's coils are now hindering the access to the (13mm?) flats that are used to help center the caliper. I don't have a photographic memory so don't remember which way the spring should be installed, coils towards the caliper arms or towards the frame. If the ft brake is still unmolested that one might give more insight about the spring's arrangement.

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 03-07-21 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-07-21, 02:01 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Thanks for the reply! I was wondering about whether or not I was missing this kind of spacer, since there is one on the front brake.

but I’ve zoomed in a old picture of the bike and it seems like there wasn’t two spacers, just the one I have currently. Rather odd, maybe the zoom technique is not to be trusted

Old 03-07-21, 02:32 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
Could it be you have the front brake on the rear? I'm seeing the brake shoes mounted backwards. That would explain the extra space.
Old 03-07-21, 02:38 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
If you disassembled the caliper down to the central bolt, you likely backed it out of the nut on the front more thanit was originally. Thus, more exposed bolt on the back side.
Old 03-07-21, 03:19 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Could it be you have the front brake on the rear? I'm seeing the brake shoes mounted backwards. That would explain the extra space.
Regardless of whether this is the front or rear caliper, those brake shoes are reversed. Swap them before riding and the pads come shooting off the front of the holders. Check the fronts, too. The closed end of the holder always goes to the front, the open end to the rear.

Besides notched brake bolt washers, shorter Allen nuts are available, too.
Old 03-07-21, 04:38 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
If you disassembled the caliper down to the central bolt, you likely backed it out of the nut on the front more thanit was originally. Thus, more exposed bolt on the back side.

Not able to do this with this design. This caliper has the "traditional" center bolt and spring holder style where the spring carrier is "one" with the center bolt. On one side of the spring holder the arms are adjusted for free movement via the two nuts on the outward end (much like Campy NR and millions of other calipers). The amount of center bolt on both ends, beyond the spring carrier, are fixed and not changeable.

More recent Shimano calipers are of a different design with the center bolt's outward end a fixed item and the spring carrier and a knurled lock nut are the adjusting elements. IMO a more hassle prone design but not rocket stuff either.

One other possibility is that the recessed nut for the back got somehow swapped with that of the front. These nuts are available in varying lengths too. But my first thought of the missing toothed spacer is the route I would first check into as it gets you two bennies. One in that the brake fits the frame properly and the other is that the caliper is now better held from rotating off center. Andy
Old 03-07-21, 05:10 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’ve have BR-7400 brakes on my bike for over 30 years; bought new. The rear only has a spacer, which I believe is slightly knurled.

My guess is you might be using the attach nut from the front brake which might be longer and you are running out of threads to be able to tighten it.

John
Old 03-07-21, 06:03 PM
jonny7

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
My guess is you might be using the attach nut from the front brake which might be longer and you are running out of threads to be able to tighten it.
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
One other possibility is that the recessed nut for the back got somehow swapped with that of the front. These nuts are available in varying lengths too. But my first thought of the missing toothed spacer is the route I would first check into as it gets you two bennies. One in that the brake fits the frame properly and the other is that the caliper is now better held from rotating off center. Andy
Yes !! This was it. I had already checked this and the while the nuts are the same lenght, I had failed to notice that the rear one (which I had put in front) has no "bottom". It can be tighten as much as you want. I have no idea whether or not these are the original nuts but it does make a difference! Thanks a lot, I'm always amazed by the amount of insight concealed in these forums.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Regardless of whether this is the front or rear caliper, those brake shoes are reversed. Swap them before riding and the pads come shooting off the front of the holders. Check the fronts, too. The closed end of the holder always goes to the front, the open end to the rear.
Doh! Fixed this.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
I'll also add that the spring's coils are now hindering the access to the (13mm?) flats that are used to help center the caliper. I don't have a photographic memory so don't remember which way the spring should be installed, coils towards the caliper arms or towards the frame. If the ft brake is still unmolested that one might give more insight about the spring's arrangement.
I am not sure to understand what you mean. After verification, the spring is installed in the correct way. The coils are a bit asymetrical/uneven, yes, this is what caught my attention at first. Is this what you are pointing at?

Last edited by jonny7; 03-07-21 at 06:07 PM.
Likes For jonny7: