Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever been booked for speeding?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 08:40 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts

It's never fun paying a fine, but after the pain subsides, I'm sure it'd feel like a feather in your cap!

Although in my jurisdiction, getting done like this counts for the demerit system on our driver's licence, which totally blows. Imagine losing your licence over it!
Old 03-09-21, 09:05 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
A couple friends did. Contested it in court. Judge didn't want to embarrass the park ranger in public (in my perception) so he "took it under advisement" and said "if you don't hear back from me then it's dismissed".

Nothing you do on a bicycle can affect your driving record here in California.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 03-09-21, 10:20 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,723 Times in 1,005 Posts
I got pulled over by a cop once in an area where they have 5 cops for a 2 mile stretch along a road over looking the beach. I was drafting behind a mini van in front of me doing about 28 in a 20. The cop told me to pull over, but not the van that was obviously going faster. I know one of he cops that patrols this little area. Anyway, I generally carry id and a credit\debit card, but when he asked me for my license, I told him I did not have any id on me and I asked if if was seriously thinking of writing a ticket. This guy is not well liked in this group of cops. When I asked why he did not also pull over the van, he sort of looked at me and did not answer. At the time, I had a camera on my bike and told him that I would introduce this as evidence that he let the van go and pulled me over. He told me that I should always have ID on me and told to watch the speed and walked off. When I called my friend, he just laughed and told me that he would let the other cops know that he was pulling over cyclist and letting a van go. Said it would not go over well with the Sgt. In the end, he ended up pulling over another cyclist, wrote her a ticket, the woman contested it, it was tossed. He is no longer at that precinct.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-10-21, 01:34 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Nothing you do on a bicycle can affect your driving record here in California.
I don't think that's correct. You get a citation on a bike, it shows up on your MVR and your insurance carrier finds out. A vehicle code violation is a vehicle code violation.
Old 03-10-21, 01:48 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
I don't think that's correct. You get a citation on a bike, it shows up on your MVR and your insurance carrier finds out. A vehicle code violation is a vehicle code violation.
Yep, a couple of friends were cited for having their dogs off-leash. They made the mistake of offering their drivers license as ID, then discovered from their insurance company that it went on their record as some type of miscellaneous infraction.
Old 03-10-21, 08:16 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked 3,619 Times in 1,240 Posts
Not for speeding, but I did get pulled over for blowing through a stop sign.

In my defense, it was a 4 way stop that had clear sight lines for several hundred yards in all directions and there was no other traffic around, plus there was a hill coming up and I didn't want to lose my momentum.

In the cop's defense, I absolutely, unquestionably, flagrantly disregarded the traffic rules that I am supposed to follow.

Got a ticket, went to court, and got it reduced under the terms of not committing a moving violation for the next 90 days.
Old 03-10-21, 09:38 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
In Washington State, I don't believe bicycle infractions go on your DMV record. My friend got a ticket on his bike for speeding (it was a downhill in a residential area). He paid it and mounted the ticket on his wall. It is legal in Washington State to roll stops signs as long as you yield to traffic that is already stopped or has the right of way.
Old 03-10-21, 10:19 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert A
I think you're right and I rescind my earlier comment. I heard a judge say that these "specific" speeding tickets wouldn't go on MVR and I extrapolated that too much.
Old 03-10-21, 04:14 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
I got pulled over once for speeding but did not get a ticket. On a semi long descent into the village of Altamont in upstate NY the speed limit changes rather abruptly from 45 to 30 - there was an officer sitting at a convenience store that gave me a stern warning.
Old 03-10-21, 04:17 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I got pulled over once for speeding but did not get a ticket. On a semi long descent into the village of Altamont in upstate NY the speed limit changes rather abruptly from 45 to 30 - there was an officer sitting at a convenience store that gave me a stern warning.
The next time you tell that story, leave out the bit about the descent.

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-10-21, 04:19 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3257 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 978 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The next time you tell that story, leave out the bit about the descent.

Hah! Fair enough.
Old 03-10-21, 04:21 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22579 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
There is a MUP near me that has a 15MPH speed limit. I avoid it because there are too many pedestrians and wobbly cyclists. One of my friends got pulled over recently for going 18MPH and got yelled at by the LEO but somehow was able to weasel out of getting a ticket. I think even a casual cyclist could break the speed limit there.
Old 03-10-21, 04:31 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yep, a couple of friends were cited for having their dogs off-leash. They made the mistake of offering their drivers license as ID, then discovered from their insurance company that it went on their record as some type of miscellaneous infraction.
Wow, this is precisely the sort of Kafkaesque irony sandwich I like to hand to rabid capitalists who insist collectivists like myself want to bring on an Orwellian nightmare.

The argument is always over how centralised or privatised our systems of control should be, but the real question is whether they work better hierarchical or flat.

Me, I'm pretty sick of constraints obviously designed by people not subject to them; if you want to live in an actual meritocracy, you have to give everyone a chance.

Whoops, carry on
Old 03-10-21, 04:36 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by colnago62
My friend got a ticket on his bike for speeding (it was a downhill in a residential area). He paid it and mounted the ticket on his wall.
Bingpot.
t is legal in Washington State to roll stops signs as long as you yield to traffic that is already stopped or has the right of way.
OMG, you live in a paradise where some reasonable laws apply to cycling.

I've had to flout this dumbarse helmet law since 1990.
Old 03-10-21, 04:55 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Over 40 years ago I got a written warning for 31 in a 20 mph . I few years back I saw a deputy sheriff turn on the Little Miami river trail and pull over 3 road bikers judging from how fast they passed me (I was running ~15mph) they were probably going over to 20 mph limit plus they blew threw a stop sign . It was also the Memorial day weekend and the trail was crowded with casual riders
Old 03-10-21, 05:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
In Washington State, I don't believe bicycle infractions go on your DMV record.
​​​​​​I hiked with a lady who got stopped in Florida, she was bar hopping on a beach cruiser. DUI. She can't afford to drive because of what it did to her insurance. Drunk cycling is explicitly allowed here.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-10-21, 05:34 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​I hiked with a lady who got stopped in Florida, she was bar hopping on a beach cruiser. DUI. She can't afford to drive because of what it did to her insurance. Drunk cycling is explicitly allowed here.
Damned happy I did get stopped ... few years back, I was at a sales meeting on Long Boat Key, a couple co-worker bike buddies grabbed resort beach cruises and headed to town for "a beer". The expat from Germany really enjoyed ordering "one more last" pitcher for the table. That was one slow and unsteady ride back to the resort and so happy we didn't have another meeting that day!

Back when I was a dumb college kid, I got a warning for rolling a stop sign at speed, like other posters in this thread have said - I had clear sight lines and no other cars near the stop.
Old 03-10-21, 05:40 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Drunk cycling is explicitly allowed here.
Words fail me, so much envy of your legislators.

Not that I particularly want to ride blotto, but just the sheer amount of evidence-based sense in that is a middle finger to the sort of cynical button-pushing which generally prevails. Mostly it's never about the actual outcome, but just how it advances the interests of the powerful in some incidental way.

Pretty sick of being a pawn in a culture war. We've got rabble-rousers on talkback radio making us scapegoats just for being on a bike, it's obscene in its perversity.
Old 03-10-21, 06:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Probably not a meaningful distinction but for what it's worth, a cyclist got arrested, took it to the state supreme court, and they decided that the legislature had meant the DUI laws for vehicles not bikes.

I don't remember all the details of how it came to be, but police are allowed to offer drunk cyclists a ride home, which is the extent of what they can do about it.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-10-21, 06:29 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Bingpot.

OMG, you live in a paradise where some reasonable laws apply to cycling.

I've had to flout this dumbarse helmet law since 1990.
This will really get you then; The county is looking at rescinding the helmet law because statistics show that the police are only ticketing minorities. Even the largest bike club in the state is backing getting rid of it due to it being ineffective.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 03-10-21, 06:55 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Tell you what, the way things are going, I might prefer to live in the US one day...
Old 03-10-21, 06:56 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
During an organized cycling event, there was a mobile speed limit sign that was flashing 35 mph. There was a cop right after the sign. I got his attention and yelled at him, "That sign says 35 mph... challenge accepted!" We both enjoyed a chuckle.
Old 03-10-21, 07:10 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Slightly off point, I got pulled over once for speeding in my 1959 Bug. I was so excited for having gone over 55 MPH limit that I asked the cop to follow me and flash his lights when I reached 55. (The Speedometer didn’t work.) He laughed and didn’t give me a ticket.
Likes For BEC111:
Old 03-10-21, 07:38 PM
btographer

Bikes: Madone 5.2 Trek Pilot 2.1 Trek 7300 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's never fun paying a fine, but after the pain subsides, I'm sure it'd feel like a feather in your cap!

Although in my jurisdiction, getting done like this counts for the demerit system on our driver's licence, which totally blows. Imagine losing your licence over it!
I got booked for going too slow.
Old 03-10-21, 07:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Tell you what, the way things are going, I might prefer to live in the US one day...
I'll post some photos of the cycling around here when I get home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.