Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-21, 09:38 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I don't like not seeing my cadence, either. If I don't have it, I seem to settle in either too high (>105) or too low (<80). I mean, I don't need to stare at my computer 100% of the time like Froome, but I check occasionally and it serves as a reminder if I should slip in to a bad rhythm without noticing.
I prefer around 105 and without a computer I think mine slows to 85 ish. Not a big deal just end feeling it more in my legs.
Old 03-27-21, 09:46 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,754 Times in 2,766 Posts
I get to join Velo on the #dogdrugs.

A little over a month ago, I would do intervals, and have a dry cough later, or through the night. No other time. Breathing was a little tougher than normal, but I kept my numbers up with a lower cadence, because the strength work was helping with that. Rest week hit, and I was waking up at night more and more with a cough. I set an appointment a couple weeks ago for yesterday, and wasn't sure I was going to make it. Once the rest week was over, I tried some scheduled 2 minute 125% intervals, and could only make it a minute before giving up.. It continued to get worse, and sleeping was something I was beginning to dread, because every 1.5-2 hours, I was awake with a non productive coughing fit. Then, breathing became tougher.

Yesterday, Lotus had an appointment at the ophthalmologist to see if/when she needed entropion surgery, and I had to carry her up a flight of stairs. She's never seen a full flight of stairs, so she put the brakes on. At least she figured it out and was able to walk down them! At the top, I thought I was going to pass out. Breathing with a mask on became almost impossible, but I was able to catch my breath and continue on with the appt. Sucked! Either way, x-rays, ekg, all shows OK and no Covid, so I get some high zoop Wixela powdered inhaler, and some Prednisone. Getting old sucks.

Last night was the first time I got a good nights sleep in over two weeks.

#dogdrugs #winning
Old 03-27-21, 09:49 AM
LAJ
So it is

I don't like not seeing my cadence, either. If I don't have it, I seem to settle in either too high (>105) or too low (<80). I mean, I don't need to stare at my computer 100% of the time like Froome, but I check occasionally and it serves as a reminder if I should slip in to a bad rhythm without noticing.
Originally Posted by bampilot06
I prefer around 105 and without a computer I think mine slows to 85 ish. Not a big deal just end feeling it more in my legs.
I churn butter. In a race, I can maintain a a decent human average, but 105 is nonsense. That's my high cadence work, and 5 minutes at a time is just fine up there.
Old 03-27-21, 09:52 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8834 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,734 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ

A little over a month ago, I would do intervals, and have a dry cough later, or through the night. No other time. Breathing was a little tougher than normal, but I kept my numbers up with a lower cadence, because the strength work was helping with that. Rest week hit, and I was waking up at night more and more with a cough. I set an appointment a couple weeks ago for yesterday, and wasn't sure I was going to make it. Once the rest week was over, I tried some scheduled 2 minute 125% intervals, and could only make it a minute before giving up.. It continued to get worse, and sleeping was something I was beginning to dread, because every 1.5-2 hours, I was awake with a non productive coughing fit. Then, breathing became tougher.

Yesterday, Lotus had an appointment at the ophthalmologist to see if/when she needed entropion surgery, and I had to carry her up a flight of stairs. She's never seen a full flight of stairs, so she put the brakes on. At least she figured it out and was able to walk down them! At the top, I thought I was going to pass out. Breathing with a mask on became almost impossible, but I was able to catch my breath and continue on with the appt. Sucked! Either way, x-rays, ekg, all shows OK and no Covid, so I get some high zoop Wixela powdered inhaler, and some Prednisone. Getting old sucks.

#dogdrugs #winning
I feel you. Heal up soon so you can crush souls.
Old 03-27-21, 09:52 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,897 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
wind was pretty rough out there today. Almost got knocked off twice
Twice last week it was so windy when I finished up W'ing FH for the day and would have ridden that I decided discretion is the better part of valor and rode in the garage instead.

This week, I don't really have a choice, because I have space to work on a bike, and I have space to ride on Zwift, but not at the same time.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-27-21, 09:55 AM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8834 Post(s)
Liked 2,976 Times in 1,734 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ

#dogdrugs #winning
This seems spot on for your situation.

Old 03-27-21, 10:00 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ

#dogdrugs #winning

That blows. Fingers crossed that the improvements continue.
Old 03-27-21, 10:05 AM
LAJ
So it is

Thanks guys.

Heck, I've got a lot in the bank, and we went to weights since the bike was almost impossible. We're thinking the rest won't do me too badly, but with the season starting very soon, it was inopportune, to say the least.
Old 03-27-21, 10:07 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,897 Times in 6,094 Posts
Last Sunday I rode the Cannondale with my Garmin in my pocket, so I recorded the speed, cadence, and HR without seeing it live. I just compared it with previous rides on the Canyon and the Ritchey:

C'Dale: Average cadence 84, Max 114
Canyon: Average 88, max 106
Ritchey: Average 89, max 113.

I think the reason the C'dale has a lower average is because it's got higher low gears, but otherwise, I spin much the same cadence, which is good, because it means my legs know what they're doing.

The Circuit would be lower still, because the gearing is so high. I'm still thinking about whether I want to take it on tomorrow's ride, since my Sunday rides are usually about 3000 feet of climbing spread over 50 miles.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-27-21, 10:26 AM
bampilot06

Threw the spare bottle cage on today. It was orange, but sprayed it metallic. Doesn’t look too bad, will have to do until I can get new ones.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 03-27-21, 10:40 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by LAJ
I churn butter. In a race, I can maintain a a decent human average, but 105 is nonsense. That's my high cadence work, and 5 minutes at a time is just fine up there.
My main problem with absentmindedly spinning at 105 is that there's a disconnect between perceived effort and actual output. It feels like 85-90%, which is fine in and of itself, but output typically lands at ~70%, which is not fine given the effort.
Old 03-27-21, 10:50 AM
bampilot06

My main problem with absentmindedly spinning at 105 is that there's a disconnect between perceived effort and actual output. It feels like 85-90%, which is fine in and of itself, but output typically lands at ~70%, which is not fine given the effort.

For me, I seem to be able to hold a higher speed for longer when my cadence is 100 to 105. Any faster than 105 it immediately drops off. If I go below 95 I feel it in my hamstrings and my legs start talking a lot sooner. In my two years of short experience my preference has changed. On the CAAD once I discovered what cadence was 96 seemed to be my sweet spot. What’s crazy to me is when I strava stalk some of the locals, and their average cadence is like 77. Seems wicked slow to me, but to each their own.
Old 03-27-21, 11:01 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
I used to think it was important to see my cadence on all my rides. Until I realized that spinning, for me, was in the 80's. I don't think I've ever seen 100 on any ride. So I got rid of that field on my computer.
Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 03-27-21, 11:03 AM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by Jack Tone
I used to think it was important to see my cadence on all my rides. Until I realized that spinning, for me, was in the 80's. I don't think I've ever seen 100 on any ride. So I got rid of that field on my computer.

I have long skinny legs maybe that has something to do with it? I wonder what datlas spins at?
Old 03-27-21, 11:11 AM
WhyFi

For me, I seem to be able to hold a higher speed for longer when my cadence is 100 to 105. Any faster than 105 it immediately drops off. If I go below 95 I feel it in my hamstrings and my legs start talking a lot sooner. In my two years of short experience my preference has changed. On the CAAD once I discovered what cadence was 96 seemed to be my sweet spot. What’s crazy to me is when I strava stalk some of the locals, and their average cadence is like 77. Seems wicked slow to me, but to each their own.
Have I mentioned that you should get a power meter?

Yeah, I hear you - there's definitely a point, when spinning, at which I start putting more energy in to controlling my legs and less in to pushing the pedals. And, yes - spinning faster, with lower torque on the pedals, will offload some of the effort of the leg muscles on to your cardio, which can be easier to maintain over long durations. That's all well and good, but to get faster, you're eventually going to need to up the torque, too, which is why I want to feel it in my legs. While it's great to finish a century, metric or imperial, and feel like you can carry on with business as usual, I think it's also awesome when I can go out for an hour and feel like I need to take it gingerly down a flight of stairs.
Old 03-27-21, 11:31 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
If you lined up Miller, Bud, Michelob, etc in front of me, I don't know that I'd be able to taste a difference.

A funny "the grass is always greener," thing: when I was a bartender at a Mexican restaurant, we had a number of good Mexican beers on hand (Corona being the absolute worst of them), but *none* of the staff, that were actually from Mexico, would touch them - they only wanted Bud, nothing else. I never did figure that out.
Miller has always given me an instant headache. The rest I'm ok with.

Old 03-27-21, 11:34 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by big john
Lucky Lager had pictograms, I don't recall that on the Green Grenades.
We drank Lucky by the case. Always liked the riddles.

Old 03-27-21, 11:38 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Pfft. Everyone has done that.
Indeed. Countless times.

Old 03-27-21, 11:39 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Must've been 2007 or so when I last helped kill a couple cases of these. We were having band practice on an old farm down south of Portland and the guitarist and I drove into Multnomah Village for supplies when we spotted five 12-packs stacked in the cooler. We discussed how it had been a couple years since either of us have had Oly in bottles and decided we might as well grab all 5.

It's the water.

Old 03-27-21, 11:42 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22597 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Wow, what a gorgeous spring day for a ride! It was sunny and calm. Start temps were chilly at about 46F but it warmed into the 50's quickly and even into the mid 60's by the end of the ride.

The Lancaster County farms/landscape already has a green hue to it, and was spectacular. We had a small group of 6 riders and rode together quite well.

Tomorrow looks to be a rainout/washout but I am grateful for today.

Did I miss much while out riding??
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-27-21, 11:45 AM
bampilot06

Have I mentioned that you should get a power meter?

Yeah, I hear you - there's definitely a point, when spinning, at which I start putting more energy in to controlling my legs and less in to pushing the pedals. And, yes - spinning faster, with lower torque on the pedals, will offload some of the effort of the leg muscles on to your cardio, which can be easier to maintain over long durations. That's all well and good, but to get faster, you're eventually going to need to up the torque, too, which is why I want to feel it in my legs. While it's great to finish a century, metric or imperial, and feel like you can carry on with business as usual, I think it's also awesome when I can go out for an hour and feel like I need to take it gingerly down a flight of stairs.
whats a power meter?
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 03-27-21, 11:46 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm so close to 200# that riding an hour and a half, the sweating takes me down to 198.5#. But that doesn't count.

I took the Circuit for another evening ride. I was fast, for me. Right out of the box I scored a PR on a 5 mile segment I've ridden 298 times, including some heavily wind-aided rides. Strava on the iPhone works pretty well. No cadence or HR, though. I enjoy just riding the Cannondale and the Circuit with nothing on the bars but my hands, just riding by feel.

I also like riding with data. Variety, and all that.

Ya done good with that pick up.

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 03-27-21, 11:46 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Recall my father at 87 is a hoarder and depression baby. The following story will give some insight into his mind-set.

Let me say that I love my father and this is in no way a complaint, but I think a good observation into the mindset of a hoarder.

We are having a Passover Seder on Zoom this weekend. For those who don't know, it's a ceremony that is done at HOME (not temple/synagogue) with a mixture of prayers, symbolic foods, retelling the history of the Exodus, and songs/celebration. It can be quite a serious thing but in my family we skip some of the boring stuff and focus on the important stories and songs, a serious seder can take a couple hours but ours is only about 40 minutes. The seder stories/prayers/songs are in a book called a Haggadah.

That's the backstory.

I mentioned to my dad last week that it would be helpful if he could scan and email the relevant pages from the Haggadah to everyone on the Zoom meeting.

His response: I did that last year. Don't you still have it?? He was serious. He was shocked to hear that we would not have saved the printout and/or email files from 1 year ago.

#HappyPassover
Likes For datlas:
Old 03-27-21, 11:52 AM
WhyFi

whats a power meter?
It's a physical manifestation that shouts what your subconscious whispers.
Old 03-27-21, 11:53 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

I have long skinny legs maybe that has something to do with it? I wonder what datlas spins at?
I have long skinny legs and although I don't really track my cadence, my spin is typically around 85-95. Slower on hills/climbs. I believe most studies suggest the optimal cadence is the one you naturally ride, although I would aim for 70-100. Trying to change your usual cadence is likely more trouble than it's worth, kinda like getting a runner to change his/her stride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.