Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Frame / older bike suggestions

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 02:08 PM
ecidream

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a 2019 Diverge and love everything about it. It's perfect for everything I do except bumming around the neighborhood with my kids or on vacation with the family. I have an older 2007 Cross bike that I put flats on for this purpose, but it's still pretty aggressive geometry and not very comfortable. I was thinking about taking the parts off the cross bike and putting them on another frame with more relaxed geometry. I'm trying not to spend a lot of money to do this.

New bikes are set up for disk breaks and my cross bike has canti's, so finding an older used frame or bike would probably work best to accept the parts I have, while still having a more relaxed geometry similar to the Diverge or just more modern gravel bikes in general. Maybe a ten year old entry level endurance bike would work? But not sure what brands / models to start my search. Open to other suggestions, short of buying a new bike, lol.
Old 03-29-21, 02:54 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Your cheapest option would be to just suck it up and ride what ya got.
Likes For tdilf:
Old 03-30-21, 05:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
If you want a bike for "bumming around the neighborhood" with the kids, a cruiser is pretty fun. I'm totally serious.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-30-21, 07:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
If you want more relaxed geometry, just buy a short effective reach stem with a lot of rise angle. Itll change your positioning and you will ride more upright.

Or sure- buy an older frame. A 10 year old endurance road frame may have a slightly higher stack height, but tire size will be limited.
Something like a Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross frame will give you a ton of tire clearance, canti brakes, and geometry that is on the relaxed/endurance end of things.
Old 03-30-21, 07:41 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 249 Posts
https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/b...297354190.html
- what about a 3-speed? prices are up right now, because it's spring time. or like the link above, you could go to your local bike-charity deal and get something like an old MTB with canti brakes, now your getting a bike with parts that work on your old cross bike. AND you support a local charity.

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/bop/...287681372.html
- low ball somebody who has a frameset for sale and then you get to build it up how you like with used parts. then you get the fun of a bike build and a cruiser bike.
Old 03-30-21, 08:39 AM
ecidream

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrv
https://annarbor.craigslist.org/bop/...287681372.html
- low ball somebody who has a frameset for sale and then you get to build it up how you like with used parts. then you get the fun of a bike build and a cruiser bike.
Thanks, this is what I was thinking, partly to mess around with a build without having to buy everything. just buy what I need to make it all work. I don't have any good thrift shops near me. I've been searching Craigslist and Facebook market place, but it would be easier to find if I knew a certain brand or model to look for. Just don't want to be looking for something that doesn't exist.
Likes For ecidream:
Old 03-30-21, 08:42 AM
ecidream

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If you want a bike for "bumming around the neighborhood" with the kids, a cruiser is pretty fun. I'm totally serious.
I agree, and have been looking. If I could only figure out a way to pick one up and somehow convince my wife it's not new and we had this bike all along........
Old 03-30-21, 08:47 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
If you are looking to minimize part sourcing, make sure to pay attention to BB type, and also the same size steerer tube and seat post.

This, in addition to a cantilever brake setup may be tricky to find right now. If you are willing to swap to more traditional caliper brakes, you'll have lots of other options, but older rim brake road bikes are going to severely limit tire clearance. In 2010, even "endurance" oriented road bikes were running 25's and may struggle to fit anything larger than 28mm.
Old 03-30-21, 08:52 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by ecidream
Thanks, this is what I was thinking, partly to mess around with a build without having to buy everything. just buy what I need to make it all work. I don't have any good thrift shops near me. I've been searching Craigslist and Facebook market place, but it would be easier to find if I knew a certain brand or model to look for. Just don't want to be looking for something that doesn't exist.
Searching for a specific brand or model thats used is a tough path to success since who knows if one is in your size. Frames arent something that were produced in really high volumes.
If you just want a frame- search ebay in your frame size(s) and see whats around. A bike co-op is another great option since they often strip frames for parts. One may not be near you, but maybe a day trip could net you an inexpensive frame.
Old 03-30-21, 08:59 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6939 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I agree, and have been looking. If I could only figure out a way to pick one up and somehow convince my wife it's not new and we had this bike all along........
Buy one for your wife, too.

When my daughter was about eight yrs old, that was our Christmas gift: single-speed cruisers for everyone. Though it was pretty tough to fit all three of them under the tree in our little living room.

We had a lot of fun on those bikes.
Old 03-30-21, 09:18 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 249 Posts
.....but it would be easier to find if I knew a certain brand or model to look for. Just don't want to be looking for something that doesn't exist.
I’ll vote for an old Schwinn light weight.
The lugged, made in Japan sport tourers.
The canti versions are hard to find and pricey.
I got the Frameset for $50. But occasionally see similar complete bikes go for less than $200.
Swap out drop bars for something swept back - it’s a relaxed ride with plush-ish tires.

Likes For mrv:
Old 03-30-21, 10:30 AM
ecidream

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
In 2010, even "endurance" oriented road bikes were running 25's and may struggle to fit anything larger than 28mm.
I was thinking the same thing which is what prompted this thread. Thanks!
Old 03-30-21, 10:32 AM
ecidream

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the responses! I think the best thing to do is to sell the old cross bike and use the cash to buy a cruiser / older bike and swap the bars and or stem. Wife can't complain if it's a swap, not a +1. lol.
Likes For ecidream: