Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I'm I Becoming Paranoid??

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I'm I Becoming Paranoid??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-21, 11:58 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Just because you happen to be paranoid doesn't mean that you are wrong about everybody being out to get you.
Old 04-01-21, 09:39 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4418 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
Angry uneducated I mean 8th grade maximum white males 18-24 age group are the most likely to harass someone on a bike just an observation I have over the years. Is it correct? Maybe or maybe not. Just my biased view from experiences riding in rural Texas.
Old 04-02-21, 07:19 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
When approaching parked cars and the lane is clear, I first stick out my left hand horizontally in case I missed something or a vehicle like a Prius is coming fast. Then I look again to double check before taking the lane. Some drivers will try to squeeze you otherwise and that is where the accidents occur.

Heck, some drivers will intentionally squeeze you anyway against the curb so you cannot pass on the right at a stop light. People can be so petty towards cyclists. I trust no one and assume the worse. 99% of my rides are solo.
Old 04-02-21, 07:38 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
As a recreational cyclist I put safety above speed and time. So I choose the safest option. Sometimes that means riding on the sidewalk slowly where pedestrians always have the right of way, On narrow roads with little traffic I might get on the shoulder when both lanes have traffic. Which is one reason I bought a hybrid bike with 50mm wide tires. Having the right to be on the road doesn't change the fact the when cars and bikes collide, The outcome is never good for the cyclist.

A rear view mirror is absolutely essential so we always know what's going on around us. Even then before making any unexpected moves always look first and be prepared to stop.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 04-02-21 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-02-21, 09:21 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
I stopped being a volunteer ski patroller about 5 years ago @65.
I stopped being a Forest Service Wilderness Ranger a year later.
Personal safety was a factor in each choice.

I refuse to stop riding my bicycles or my long solo hikes, but I understand the feeling of Vulnerable Situations.
Make your choices, evaluate the results, adjust as necessary.

Don't regret what I've left behind, the only worthwhile view is looking forward.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-02-21 at 09:26 AM.
Likes For Wildwood: