Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is anyone using Absolute Black oval outer rings?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-21, 09:49 PM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts

I’ve been toying with the idea of swapping out a 50T R7000 ring and trying an Absolute Black. Anyone use them? I like the idea of smoother climbing on lighter climbs in the big ring. And they look really cool.
Old 04-07-21, 12:24 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
I've got a 34t inner and 50t outer. You can run either one separately or both together

They look cool. I wanted to change from 52/36 to 50/34 anyways.

I didn't notice any difference 🤔
Old 04-07-21, 12:08 PM
Plainsman

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
I've got a 34t inner and 50t outer. You can run either one separately or both together

They look cool, but not upgrade price cool for me without accompanying performance or weight drop ;-)
Old 04-09-21, 04:51 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Plainsman
I’ve been toying with the idea of swapping out a 50T R7000 ring and trying an Absolute Black. Anyone use them? I like the idea of smoother climbing on lighter climbs in the big ring. And they look really cool.
i have oval outer ring love it.....not sure if there is any real improvement but i like it no down side for me. been a few years now. i think i felt a change initially but now it is all i know so.....no down side.
Old 04-09-21, 11:25 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood

Same here!

Running 50/34 as well for the last few weeks. Comparing round to oval, no noticeable difference other than feeling a bit smoother in the pedal stroke.
Old 04-09-21, 02:30 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I run their oval 46/30 setup, gravel/road bike, and have no complaints other than the cost of buying them. I've also ran an oval ring on one of my mtn bikes in the past. I'm one of those people that can't tell any difference between oval and round, I just did it because it was on the only way to get a 46/30 on my 5800 road cranks. Both my current mtn bikes are round so I swap back and forth regularly.
Old 06-04-21, 07:04 PM
N2deep

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
I use the sub compact 48/32 on my road bike as it provides a true bailout gear for me when the hills get steep. Absolute black provides quality products and they work flawlessly with the shimano groupset. The only issue is the alignment of the derailuer is a little tricky.