Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

US Sec. of Transportation Buttigieg

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

US Sec. of Transportation Buttigieg

Old 04-11-21, 05:08 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Okay, we can go with your interpretation. He said, "The roads aren't only for vehicles." Hopefully someone will tell our new Sec. of Transportation that all those cars and trucks aren't out there on their own, they have people inside operating them.
He knows that. " We’ve got to make sure that pedestrians and individuals and bicyclists and businesses can all coexist on the same roadway.”

​​​​​Like Koyote says, he's signalling he's listening to us, why waste that by playing stupid semantics games?
Old 04-11-21, 10:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
He knows that. " We’ve got to make sure that pedestrians and individuals and bicyclists and businesses can all coexist on the same roadway.”

​​​​​Like Koyote says, he's signalling he's listening to us, why waste that by playing stupid semantics games?
As far as I can see is he is just another opportunist b'crat trying to get his name in the paper!!!

Last edited by rydabent; 04-13-21 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-11-21, 11:05 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
As far as I can see is he is just another oppertunist b'crat trying to get his name in the paper!!!
Which therefore justifies any accusation, however demonstrably false.

What if he had been riding a recumbent?
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 04-11-21, 01:28 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

As far as I can see is he is just another oppertunist b'crat trying to get his name in the paper!!!

Get an eye test then. No one's trusting how far you can see.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-11-21, 06:42 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Get an eye test then. No one's trusting how far you can see.
Personal attacks are rather dumb!!!! They general mean you have NOTHING to add to the thread.
Old 04-11-21, 07:18 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Personal attacks are rather dumb!!!! They general mean you have NOTHING to add to the thread.

Why not take your political stuff to the political forum? You are vastly more fun when you are telling everyone they should get bent.
Old 04-11-21, 11:16 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Humor ... sense of ... get one.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-12-21, 05:15 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
FYI
His comments at the bike summit were just as hollow as his fake bike commute.
Good stuff
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 04-12-21, 06:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
FYI
His comments at the bike summit were just as hollow as his fake bike commute.
Good stuff
Can you name another US Secretary of Transportation who has ever addressed an organization that represents cyclists and advocates for safer cycling infrastructure?

Can you name another US Secretary of Transportation who has even mentioned cyclist safety?

This seems to be where we've landed as a country: an entire group of people will hate everything that the other side does, even if it's something that they would absolutely love if their own guys did it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-12-21, 07:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The ironic part of this is I was responding to your personal attack of Secy. Buttigieg. It contained absolutely nothing of substance, so obviously YOU had nothing to add to the thread.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-12-21, 09:06 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by wgscott
Why not take your political stuff to the political forum? You are vastly more fun when you are telling everyone they should get bent.
This thread IS political.
Old 04-12-21, 09:17 AM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by Koyote
Can you name another US Secretary of Transportation who has ever addressed an organization that represents cyclists and advocates for safer cycling infrastructure?

Can you name another US Secretary of Transportation who has even mentioned cyclist safety?

This seems to be where we've landed as a country: an entire group of people will hate everything that the other side does, even if it's something that they would absolutely love if their own guys did it.
You really just don’t do any research before you post, do you?
Right off the top of my head I can name two.
Anthony Foxx a few years ago attended the Bike Summit, and prior to him Ray Lahood attended the Bike Summit.
He even made a point of climbing up onto a table to address the attendees.

Good job following up your astounding lack of knowledge though with a nonsensical rant about hate and partisan politics.

You win BF this week
Old 04-12-21, 10:05 AM
Koyote

You really just don’t do any research before you post, do you?
Right off the top of my head I can name two.
Anthony Foxx a few years ago attended the Bike Summit, and prior to him Ray Lahood attended the Bike Summit.
He even made a point of climbing up onto a table to address the attendees.

Good job following up your astounding lack of knowledge though with a nonsensical rant about hate and partisan politics.

You win BF this week
You can save the faux outrage, as I am well aware of LaHood and Foxx. If you read my post, I was asking if you knew. (Fun fact to ponder: what do all three of them have in common? That's the point.)

I'd still like you and rydabent to address the other issue, though: why are you so offended by Buttigieg's actions and statements, which seem very cyclist-friendly? I mean, sure, I would've preferred Earl Blumenauer, but am pretty happy that Buttigieg is speaking about cyclists' safety. What's the problem?
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-12-21, 10:08 AM
downhillmaster

You can save the faux outrage, as I am well aware of LaHood and Foxx. If you read my post, I was asking if you knew. (Fun fact to ponder: what do all three of them have in common? That's the point.)

I'd still like you and rydabent to address the other issue, though: why are you so offended by Buttigieg's actions and statements, which seem very cyclist-friendly? I mean, sure, I would've preferred Earl Blumenauer, but am pretty happy that Buttigieg is speaking about cyclists' safety. What's the problem?
Too funny.
Old 04-12-21, 10:13 AM
Koyote

Too funny.
Still wondering.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-12-21, 10:33 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
"He will bring experience taking on the car-centric street designs that have dominated the American landscape, but which many urban leaders are striving to undo in the face of rising pedestrian fatalities and a reckoning with transportation policies that bored highways through neighborhoods home to Black residents."

But yeah, he's just an empty suit, unlike self-deluded "experts" on the internut.

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 04-12-21, 10:33 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Despite the fact that I truly believe Buttigieg staged a photo op despite Snopes's claim (Grouch Marx's 'Who you gonna believe, me or your lying eyes" works here), I am interested in what he has planned and what he will try to make roads safer for bikes and wheelchairs.
Detroit's done a incredible job of making their streets more bike friendly, but this was easy as the 6 lane street have barely any usage as many residents keep leaving the city.
But I'm also interested in the arteries of our transportation system, the highways, busy streets, etc. I keep going back to that S Korea video of cyclists riding in the center of the freeway on a protected path. I doubt we'll see that heere. Any progression to that is certainly welcomed, as long as it doesn't fall short, and only barely enough to put a politicians name on it, soon to be abandoned to tree roots, gravel, mud, etc, as I've seen with so many projects in Michigan.
Any papers released on his ideas?
Likes For friday1970:
Old 04-12-21, 05:04 PM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
Divide and rule. Business as usual.
Old 04-12-21, 08:53 PM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12171 Post(s)
Liked 1,479 Times in 1,092 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike

I'm very happy with all the changes in roadways here in Jax, Fl. Luckily we don't waste our money on separated bike lanes or MUPs. Give me the simple bike lanes and I'm happy, especially the ones over major waterways.
That reminds of a news item I saw a while back. A cyclist in Florida got bumped by a car on a bridge. It went over a freeway, and so did he. A family going to Disney World found his hand in the grill of their rented car.

Separate lanes for cyclists means more cyclists, and fewer cars. Win/win.
Old 04-13-21, 05:48 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Facebook has now publish a picture of him unloading his bike from a huge SUV a short distance from the Capitol. All is not what it seems.
Why would one have a bike share bike loaded in their SUV?

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 04-13-21, 08:24 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Why would one have a bike share bike loaded in their SUV?

Dan
Don't try using logic on rydabent . It won't get you anywhere. After all, according to him, a bike ride isn't genuine if you first remove your bike from a vehicle. Umm, which means that double-century I once rode, and every single race in which I have competed, were all phony.
Old 04-13-21, 09:46 AM
rydabent
Banned

Don't try using logic on rydabent . It won't get you anywhere. After all, according to him, a bike ride isn't genuine if you first remove your bike from a vehicle. Umm, which means that double-century I once rode, and every single race in which I have competed, were all phony.
Therein you are totally wrong. I am one of the most logical people you know about. Your driving a long distance to participate in a race is logical. The Sec driving to a political photo op 2 or 3 blocks from the meeting that he is trying to impress the uninformed is political showmanship.
Old 04-13-21, 10:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Therein you are totally wrong. I am one of the most logical people you know about. Your driving a long distance to participate in a race is logical. The Sec driving to a political photo op 2 or 3 blocks from the meeting that he is trying to impress the uninformed is political showmanship.

I love how you just refuse to believe that he was actually at the beginning of a 6 mile ride back to his office rather than the short hop to the White House that the lying people who posted this video claimed. There's nothing logical about that--anything that doesn't fit your narrative is fake news, we get it.

And yes, we know it's a photo op. Due to the crazy people, he and the entire cabinet need to be followed around by Secret Service so he really isn't saving energy, etc. when he rides through DC. I like the photo op, it's not like he's trying to fake heroism or something, just sending out a message this is a good thing to do.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-13-21, 10:56 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

The logic is very simple: Buttigieg is a Democrat and is gay. Therefore any accusation must be true, ipso facto. Mere facts, including those presented by Snopes, are therefore completely superfluous.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 04-13-21, 01:35 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
I am one of the most logical people you know about.
And we thought you didn't have a sense of humor!
Likes For tomato coupe:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.