Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New To Me 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-20, 10:45 AM
Der_Kruscher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts

I've hardly posted around here but this seems like the right place . A few weeks ago I picked up this 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur off Nextdoor for free. I didn't really know much about these but it was obvious that it was worth snapping up (i.e. not a Varsity - apologies to those who appreciate them) even though the picture was bad. It was dirty but not awful, in good overall condition, and all original minus tires, chain, bar tape, saddle, and probably cables.

The only issues were/are that the non-driveside cone and lockout are missing from the rear wheel (I need to dig into finding out about replacements) and the NDS crank arm's taper got munged up, I'm guessing from coming loose. I picked up some nice wheels from a 1983 Voyageur SP that will fill in for now and there's enough good taper left in the crank arm that it should pose any issues.

I completely disassembled, cleaned, polished, and re-greased/lubed everything, put on a new chain/cables/pads, new Soma Oxford bars, Tektro levers, grips and a Brooks C-17 (brown B-17 Special is on its way). Any original parts that I didn't use are stored together so as not to lose them. I have some Berthoud fenders that I'll also probably install.

The few short rides I've done on this have been really fun since it's such a departure from my modern road and cyclocross bikes and I absolutely love just looking at this one...the Kool Orange paint and all the shiny metal are such a nice combo.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be any shortage of '73 World Voyageurs around here but I thought that you all would appreciate this anyway.

Likes For Der_Kruscher:
Old 10-28-20, 10:50 AM
Der_Kruscher

And as a side note, the orange Sharpie paint marker is a pretty good match for Kool Orange, although I probably wouldn't use it directly next to the original paint. In the second pic, I used Sharpie's small sized marker to fill in the channels in the headset cup and cover.
Old 10-28-20, 01:53 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,335 Times in 2,175 Posts
Originally Posted by Der_Kruscher
And as a side note, the orange Sharpie paint marker is a pretty good match for Kool Orange, although I probably wouldn't use it directly next to the original paint. In the second pic, I used Sharpie's small sized marker to fill in the channels in the headset cup and cover.
-----

caught me eye straigtaway; very nice touch on the machine's Tange Falcon

looking good she is!

---

"Who would have thought there could be Matsu****a products manufactured without transistors?!?!"

-----

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-13-21 at 10:40 AM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela:
Old 04-13-21, 08:51 AM
Der_Kruscher

Small Update:

Put on a more suitable saddle and new tires. I still need to swap out the grips for some gum colored ones and fix the original 333 rear hub, but the placeholder wheels are nice in the meantime..

Likes For Der_Kruscher:
Old 04-13-21, 09:22 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Nice.

I had one about 20yrs ago (benefit of working at GW at the time, first dibs on all the bikes). I stripped the scratched up paint on mine to reveal the chrome frame.
Old 04-13-21, 10:16 AM
Der_Kruscher

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Nice.

I had one about 20yrs ago (benefit of working at GW at the time, first dibs on all the bikes). I stripped the scratched up paint on mine to reveal the chrome frame.
Goodwill, electronics recycling places, the dump...If money were no issue I'd work at one of those places in a heartbeat; I love cool, old stuff. Anyway, I like the all chrome look but I've never owned an orange bike and the chrome peeking through the chipped paint looks good to me - it's honest patina from being around for almost 50 years. That and I wanted to keep things as original as possible within reason (I have the original wheels, bars, brake levers, etc. all safely stashed away). Anyway, I get a kick out of how many nice comments I get on this on this bike when I ride it.
Old 04-13-21, 10:44 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
I passed on an orange 1973 World Voyageur to buy a 1986 Voyageur. Both were nice bikes. I kinda wished that I'd bought the WV instead.

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-13-21 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-13-21, 11:44 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'd have a hard time turning down of these as well. Nice job fixing it up.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-13-21, 03:38 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
GREAT SCORE !!!
Cannot believe it was FREE !!!!

I have 2 of these bikes, an Orange and Yellow !!!

You'd be hard pressed to find a smoother ride than these WV !!!!

Looks to be in VERY GOOD condition as well !!!!!!
Likes For bikemike73:
Old 04-13-21, 04:29 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I also had one. A 72, according to the SN. I gave it to a friend who really, really wanted it. It was a hair small for me. And rode really nice.
Nice score.

Likes For seedsbelize:
Old 04-14-21, 04:14 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
Jealous here. I missed out on one like that at a garage sale last summer. Congrats on that one. The chrome accents are so tasteful.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 04-14-21, 05:29 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
The new saddle looks great! I love the idea bar end shifters instead of thumb shifting. I’ve never tried that but it looks cool!
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 04-18-21, 11:18 PM
Der_Kruscher

Originally Posted by bikemike73
GREAT SCORE !!!
Cannot believe it was FREE !!!!

I have 2 of these bikes, an Orange and Yellow !!!

You'd be hard pressed to find a smoother ride than these WV !!!!

Looks to be in VERY GOOD condition as well !!!!!!
It's funny how fast a "free" bike can turn decidedly un so . Lets see...tires, tubes, chain, cables housing, bottom bracket, bars, grips, placeholder wheels (need to fix the original), and even at wholesale that Brooks saddle was $100! If the bike would have been advertised for the cost of what I put into it, I would have passed it up!

I appreciate vintage bikes but never seek them out as I prefer riding more modern road bikes: this one spoke to me though - it's pretty and I think the WV's history in the Schwinn line is interesting. I also really enjoy how the parts spec is from all over the world: Japan, Italy, Belgium, etc. - that's certainly not the case as much now.

And I think I mentioned this before, but I have all of the original parts that aren't currently on the bike: bars, brake levers, BB, wheels, etc.
Old 04-18-21, 11:22 PM
Der_Kruscher

Originally Posted by Pcampeau
The new saddle looks great! I love the idea bar end shifters instead of thumb shifting. I’ve never tried that but it looks cool!
Those bar end shifters were OEM. I didn't need another drop bar bike and the size would have been too large for me in that configuration anyway: the Soma "Oxford" bars are really cool as they have a vintage-stem-friendly 25.4 clamp diameter, fit MTB levers and grips, but are reamed out to accept bar end shifters. I haven't looked in awhile but they may be unique in their mix of features and if not, they must be one of very few options.