Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Tailgating bicyclist.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Tailgating bicyclist.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-21, 11:38 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
...There is a good bike lane on both sides of the road. But on this particular day, for some reason a fellow cyclist felt the need to tuck in behind our car (an SUV) and draft us in the middle of the car lane. And he was dangerously close. My wife driving couldn’t see him in either side view mirror. Only in the rear view mirror. It was understandably unnerving to her because if she would have had to abruptly stop for another car, or a pedestrian in the road...the cyclist would have smashed right into us.
I wasn't there so this is just guessing. But maybe he felt comfortable and safe if he had a bail-out to the side he could take if there was an abrupt change in your vehicle's speed. Also, maybe he felt comfortable in his ability to view and think ahead to reduce the chance of surprises. It might not have been as dangerous to the cyclist as you think.
Old 04-15-21, 03:51 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
The sooner you realize that you can't control what other humans do, the better off you'll be.
Old 04-15-21, 06:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
How old are you? So have you not seen cyclists, tear off mirrors, cyclists who hit parked cars, cause damage then take off. Really?
Stupid drivers outnumber stupid drivers? How old are you that you do not understand ratio and proportions? You're just another guy who does not accept responsibility for the cyclist misfortune. 99% of accidents can be avoided. Please tell me you are old enough to understand what that means.

Bicyclists hitting parked cars, tearing off mirrors? I'm 60 years old. Not only have I never seen this, I've never even heard of it. I'd say the chances of someone being able to "take off" after hitting a car hard enough to damage the car are pretty damn low. And where the hell do you ride/live/drive where bicyclists frequently hit parked cars? That takes some doing.

Bad drivers vs, bad cyclists: There's a whole hell of a lot more drivers on the road than there are bicyclists, so I can't figure out any way that there could possibly be as many bad cyclists as there are bad drivers without completely unrealistic estimates of disproportionality. In any event, what your extreme rhetoric misses is that the likely consequences to others from bad driving are far worse than those of bad cycling.

You seem hell-bent on refuting a "ride like a maniac" argument that no one is making.

Last edited by livedarklions; 04-15-21 at 06:53 AM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-15-21, 08:40 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Bicyclists hitting parked cars, tearing off mirrors? I'm 60 years old. Not only have I never seen this, I've never even heard of it.

Bad drivers vs, bad cyclists: There's a whole hell of a lot more drivers on the road than there are bicyclists, so I can't figure out any way that there could possibly be as many bad cyclists as there are bad drivers without completely unrealistic estimates of disproportionality. In any event, what your extreme rhetoric misses is that the likely consequences to others from bad driving are far worse than those of bad cycling.
Ditto, and ditto.

I've never heard of any of this happening. Utter nonsense.

I have, however, seen plenty of news items about motorists hitting cyclists, sometimes driving away without even stopping. You know, stuff that actually injures someone.
Likes For Koyote: