Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike manufacturers forcing us/riders to 1x drive trains

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-22-20, 10:57 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

Mrs. NoWhammies is starting to think about a new bike. The bike that has caught her eye is the Specialized SL7 Pro (here's a link).

Only here's the deal. The bike comes with a SRAM 1x front crank. Mrs. NoWhammies is not interested in a 1x front crank, but that's all that's being offered in that colour pallet. So basically if she wants the bike, she's forced to move to a 1x crank. Damn you Specialized and your pricing deals with SRAM!!!

One of coaches was/is riding a 1x crank and I commented about the crnak to him. He isn't impressed that he was forced to buy the bike with the 1x and is now waiting on a 2x crank (which of course is back ordered). Another friend of mine just bought a gravel bike (Specialized) for his wife. He managed to negotiate the removal of the 1x crank although the bike shop was not happy about it. I think he still had to pay for the 1x crank, although the shop is installing the 2x.

So. My rant is this. I think we're being forced to accept 1x cranks because that's what the bike manufacturers are pushing on us. I don't see a demand for this, but we have no choice in the matter. Colour me not impressed. End of rant. Thanks for reading.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 08-22-20, 11:06 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
This was all part of their plan when they took away out right to have triples.

I got Mrs Z and little Z IGHs specifically because the derailleur overlords were becoming too powerful (also because: That thing at the front? What does that do?).
Old 08-22-20, 11:11 PM
mattscq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I see that 1x is invading the road bike space—and here I was thinking it was still mostly a gravel trend. Also (though someone may correct me), I thought SRAM cranks were all one piece so you kind of have to replace the entire thing to change chainrings or go 2x?

I do kind of admire the simplicity of 1x though. Why do you want 2x? with a 2x11, you effectively only get about 2 more speeds and maybe 1 more than that with a 2x12?

Though at $9500, one would understandably upset for not getting what one wanted. But $9500 for Force? Eep. Guess you could splurge more on the Sworks to get 2x Red.
Old 08-22-20, 11:35 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The biz is under the impression that all customers that matters wants to ride what the pro racers ride.
And of course, ”new=better” is another widespread opinion.
So anyone having another set of priorities than accessorising like the pros is immediately facing a challenge.
I was entirely happy with my 3x7 commuter, tight ratio cassette, 26” wheels. Sure, it span out at 25 mph, which was a non-issue entirely for the suburb/city route. And it got amazing drivetrain mileage and upkeep costs.

The only time I can think of when equipment preferences have moved in the other direction is disc brakes on road bikes. While discs are in no way required, they’re nice. Less hand force needed, less influenced by weather. Plenty of everyday riders wanted them. And of course some want Ultegra or Dura-Ace as well. And suddenly there they were, despite organizers, teams and riders being far from convinced about their usefulness.
Old 08-23-20, 12:41 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
We have also been getting 2x set ups forced on us for years as well.
I have 2 bikes that I have had to get new rear mechs, cassettes, and 1x chainrings to convert them.
What problem does she have with the 1x configuration?
Has she ridden them before?
Old 08-23-20, 12:55 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
I wouldn't buy a 1x bike. Guess I would accept one for free, but I wouldn't spend money on it.
Old 08-23-20, 01:20 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq
Why do you want 2x?
To get tighter spacing over a given gearing range, and/or to facilitate a wider range.

with a 2x11, you effectively only get about 2 more speeds and maybe 1 more than that with a 2x12?
Depends on the particular drivetrain configuration and the rider's shifting patterns. A 2x11 being worth only 13 unique useful gear ratios is on the extreme low end.

For example, here's a bog-standard Shimano 50-34 11-28:

Even if you're just treating that drivetrain as a 1x-plus-bailout, there are four ratios in the small ring that are a solid step below anything in the big ring. So it makes no sense to describe this as providing any less than 15 ratios. (And depending on your shifting tendencies, 16 could be reasonably argued, and maybe even 17 if you're picky and get creative.)

Claims that 2x drivetrains only provide such-and-such many gears over 1x are generally made by people trying to sell 1x drivetrains, and any claim that it's a single number is inherently reductive.
Old 08-23-20, 02:11 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Forget 1x are disc brakes being forced on us?
Old 08-23-20, 02:13 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Im fairly certain a $9500,- budget will get you almost any bike youd like. Possibly even one of the 16 other 2x Tarmacs. Why fixate on the -one- bike that isnt to your liking? :-)

(Please dont answer :-)
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 08-23-20, 04:36 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by mattscq
I do kind of admire the simplicity of 1x though. Why do you want 2x? with a 2x11, you effectively only get about 2 more speeds and maybe 1 more than that with a 2x12?
Range. Chain line. Gear jumps. Drivetrain efficiency. Performance.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 08-23-20, 05:31 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Funny you mention this because in my rides I have gotten a lot stronger in my ability and find I hardly to never use my small chain ring anymore. If they could get to a 1x14 one day with some range I might would be game for the simplicity.
Old 08-23-20, 05:39 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Range. Chain line. Gear jumps. Drivetrain efficiency. Performance.
With the setup like a 1X maybe since a FD is not needed have a designed chain guide that could effectively keep cross chaining more manageable. I agree though the line is affected. The only viable way I see is possibly a narrower chain width and tighter cassette spacing as well to accommodate this.

Give the manufacturers time and they will figure it out. Quite honestly, I have wondered why they have not come out with sealed internal drive trains (transmissions) so to speak for bikes that are obviously extremely lightweight. Same principle as when shaft draft was introduced to motorcycles. The weight is the issue here and probably will never happen on a day to day rider.
Old 08-23-20, 05:55 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Certain colors have certain equipment - it's always been that way. She's "forced" into a single the same way she's "forced" into SRAM. She can go with another color or see if she can have the shop switch it.
Old 08-23-20, 06:53 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Topic makes no sense. There IS a 2x SL7 pro in the catalog. It is Di2 and not SRAM. That’s a choice.

The model being complained about here is specifically listed as being the 1x option. So, you chose the 1x option out of a massive list of 2x options and complain about it being 1x?

If a LBS only offers that, that’s on them. Not Specialized. Specialized has a ton of 2x Roubaix, Tarmac, etc.....

Most all the rest in that lineup are also 2x.

So, what are we mad about here?
Old 08-23-20, 07:01 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Wait... 1x is the only option IN THAT COLOR? Seriously? This is your complaint?

Here is a wild idea... get a different color.
Old 08-23-20, 07:18 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
Or by the 2x and have it painted the color you want. If I'm buying a $9500 bike I'm pretty sure I can afford changing the color.
Old 08-23-20, 07:44 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 262 Posts
Wait until next year. There will be different colors.
Old 08-23-20, 07:51 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Forced, you say? Sounds a bit strong. Am I to understand that a Specialized dealer came to your house, thrust the bike at you, and took your money? Because that's how force works.

I was not forced to buy a bike that has a matte paint job, even though up near the top of my "do not wants" was a matte paint job. I wanted a bike. I didn't want to wait. There was no force.

I won't even lean into the near-10k pricepoint thing.
Old 08-23-20, 08:00 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Is Mrs. NoWhammies fixed on SRAM? The Tarmac SL7 Expert w/ Ultegra Di2 is obviously 2x and a considerably smaller price. That would give Mrs. NoWhammies some cash left over to buy a lighter carbon wheelset and have the frame painted or vinyl wrapped... and still come out a few dollars ahead!

GlennR ... I'll get you this for Christmas

Old 08-23-20, 08:14 AM
Jack Tone 

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
With the setup like a 1X maybe since a FD is not needed have a designed chain guide that could effectively keep cross chaining more manageable. I agree though the line is affected. The only viable way I see is possibly a narrower chain width and tighter cassette spacing as well to accommodate this.

Give the manufacturers time and they will figure it out. Quite honestly, I have wondered why they have not come out with sealed internal drive trains (transmissions) so to speak for bikes that are obviously extremely lightweight. Same principle as when shaft draft was introduced to motorcycles. The weight is the issue here and probably will never happen on a day to day rider.
I believe GCN had a video coming out soon that tests such a bike. (1x crank with 2 speed internal rear hub?)
Old 08-23-20, 08:19 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
1x is fine if it has a low enough gear. But the SL7 on the link doesn't, so it wouldn't even make my shortlist.

Giant's comparable bike, the Propel Advanced offers a 2x Crankset. And Giant, The largest manufacturer of bicycles in the world builds high quality, performance, and value thats 2'nd to none. You really should check them out.

On 2nd thought by replacing the 46t chainring on the SL7 with a 42t, She might get low enough for climbing and still have a tall enough gear for the downside. I do prefer a 1x chainring myself if it meets my needs.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 08-23-20 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-23-20, 08:49 AM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
3 x 9 is optimal. 1 x 13 rear wheel will probably collapse if you weight more than 135 lbs and turn hard left. Chains will have to be built to SR-71 specs and cost $100. Arrgh
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 08-23-20, 12:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10897 Post(s)
Liked 7,384 Times in 4,144 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
So. My rant is this. I think we're being forced to accept 1x cranks because that's what the bike manufacturers are pushing on us. I don't see a demand for this, but we have no choice in the matter. Colour me not impressed. End of rant. Thanks for reading.
She is forced to use 1x if she CHOOSES to buy that specific color bike.
That is a bad example to support your rant. It isnt applicable, really.
I agree that 1x is being pushed for drop bar bikes, mainly its in the gravel category, but sure- its being pushed for drop bar bikes.
It isnt being forced on consumers though. There are tons of 2x drivetrains to choose from on new bikes.

I build up all my frames and spec my bikes how I like. I have no interest in buying a bike from a store and then immediately changing the tape, bars, saddle, stem, and tires. So I for sure have no interest in changing the entire drivetrain. That clearly isn't the right bike for your wife.

You can...
- buy it and ride a drivetrain that isnt ideal.
- buy it and spend money to change the drivetrain then sell the takeoffs on eBay to recoup some of the cost.
- don't buy it and buy any number of bikes that have the correct drivetrain.

Look, more options to choose from since nobody is forced into anything in this scenario, despite your claim.
Old 08-23-20, 01:06 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
3 x 9 is optimal. 1 x 13 rear wheel will probably collapse if you weight more than 135 lbs and turn hard left. Chains will have to be built to SR-71 specs and cost $100. Arrgh
There's already a 1x13 group which disproves your theory. It's also what I heard about 10-speed when I started riding.
Old 08-23-20, 01:38 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
The biz is under the impression that all customers that matters wants to ride what the pro racers ride.
And of course, ”new=better” is another widespread opinion.
So anyone having another set of priorities than accessorising like the pros is immediately facing a challenge.
I was entirely happy with my 3x7 commuter, tight ratio cassette, 26” wheels. Sure, it span out at 25 mph, which was a non-issue entirely for the suburb/city route. And it got amazing drivetrain mileage and upkeep costs.

The only time I can think of when equipment preferences have moved in the other direction is disc brakes on road bikes. While discs are in no way required, they’re nice. Less hand force needed, less influenced by weather. Plenty of everyday riders wanted them. And of course some want Ultegra or Dura-Ace as well. And suddenly there they were, despite organizers, teams and riders being far from convinced about their usefulness.
The problem with this theory is that pros have been offered 1x, and have given it a resounding thumbs down. But the manufacturers are continuing with it anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.