Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just bought a real Cherry.....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 12:31 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 608 Posts

Seriously, it's a "Cherry" manufactured by Nissan Cycles. It was $45 and had 2 brand new Kenda gumwall K35's on it, I couldn't pass it up at that price. Plus it's my size and is in pretty decent shape over all. Mid-70's maybe? I'm going to clean it up, replace the bar tape and cables and keep it the way it is, poofy saddle and all. It really isn't all that heavy either.

And check out that awesome pillow where the saddle should be LOL, the tool bag is sewn to the saddle.

There was at least one other out there:

Old 10-18-20, 01:17 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Like the proto Medici bands and stars seat tube graphics.
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-18-20, 01:34 PM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
I've never seen a saddle like that before?
Old 10-18-20, 01:35 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Nice, that is going to clean up beautifully!
Old 10-18-20, 01:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Not a bad bike, but that saddle wouldn't last a minute under my butt.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 10-18-20, 02:05 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Looks like a fun project!
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 10-18-20, 02:34 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by gthomson
I've never seen a saddle like that before?
Originally Posted by noglider
Not a bad bike, but that saddle wouldn't last a minute under my butt.
It's a first for me too, as is the "Cherry" brand. The saddle has about an inch of soft padding, I can't imagine it being very comfortable for more than a couple miles, if that LOL but it's so different I'll probably keep it on the bike. I won't ride it much anyway but it was so obscure I couldn't resist and it really is in pretty decent shape. I wish I knew the year it was built. I tried the Asian SN guide but it's not making sense for me.I can't reconcile the "R" when "C" is supposed to correlate with 1980. The V - T luxe rear derailleur was made from '73 - '76 and the Compe-V front from '74 - '78 so I'm going to venture a guess at '74 to maybe a '77. When it quits raining I'll look for date codes on them.
Old 10-18-20, 03:29 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
My first 10 speed was a Montgomery Wards model that was equipped with Cherry centerpull brakes. They were pretty poor... a long way below proper brakes such as Weinmann. I wonder is this is the same Cherry??

There is (was?) an American framebuilder that used the Cherry brand. I clipped a magazine article about him. Not sure if this is from Bicycle Guide or Bicycling....

I've seen a frame from Cherry Bicycles on the "Hilly Hundred" bike ride in Bloomington, Indiana. Wonderful "bi-laminate" head lugs.

Steve in Peoria
Old 10-18-20, 03:44 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
My first 10 speed was a Montgomery Wards model that was equipped with Cherry centerpull brakes. They were pretty poor... a long way below proper brakes such as Weinmann. I wonder is this is the same Cherry??

Steve in Peoria
If it was they must have felt the same way LOL, this has Dia-Compe center pulls.
Old 10-18-20, 07:35 PM
jethin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 160 Posts
That "saddle" is freakin' hilarious.
Likes For jethin:
Old 10-18-20, 07:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
I got a used bike that came with a gel-padded saddle. It didn't look as ridiculous as this one, but it was pretty cushy. I tried it without prejudice. It didn't cause any problems while riding. Then I had achy balls the following day. I didn't put the two together for weeks or months. I had to report it to my doctor, and he suggested a saddle with a cutout. I decided any change might do the trick. It turns out I need a hard saddle.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-19-20, 05:30 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by noglider
I got a used bike that came with a gel-padded saddle. It didn't look as ridiculous as this one, but it was pretty cushy. I tried it without prejudice. It didn't cause any problems while riding. Then I had achy balls the following day. I didn't put the two together for weeks or months. I had to report it to my doctor, and he suggested a saddle with a cutout. I decided any change might do the trick. It turns out I need a hard saddle.
While not "correct"on a C&V bike I have become a big fan of the ISM Adamo saddles. I have 6 of them, 2 MTB and 4 road.
Old 10-19-20, 06:36 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy

There is (was?) an American framebuilder that used the Cherry brand. I clipped a magazine article about him. Not sure if this is from Bicycle Guide or Bicycling....

I've seen a frame from Cherry Bicycles on the "Hilly Hundred" bike ride in Bloomington, Indiana. Wonderful "bi-laminate" head lugs.

Steve in Peoria
John Cherry used to have Project Bike shop in Lafayette, IN.
I was on a very small team out of Louisville, KY and he built 4 Cherry Bomb race bikes for us (early 1990s). We had them all painted the same. - actually powder coated, 2 colors.
If I scrounge real hard I might have a picture of it somewhere. I had to retire the frame. I was going to have it re-painted about 6 years ago. After the coating was removed there were a number of holes in the frame from rust - chainstays, downtube, maybe the seattube.
I used the frame and fork for powder coating practice at a local "tech shop", repurposed the fork to a single speed frame that I picked up cheap for powder coating practice (and sold....).
And the original frame is sitting in my basement, sans fork. My wife won't let me hang it on the living room wall. Which I find weird.... that she would object! of course.....

cheers.
Likes For mrv: