Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-21, 12:22 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2789 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,207 Posts
Tell me if this is a new thing in real-estate. My realtor came by yesterday, we were supposed to go look at a house but since I had no pre-approval we weren't going to be allowed to. I plan on paying cash after the sale of my home. Which is where things not only get weird but down right inconvenient. She suggested that I, after I finish with the fixing up of certain areas. That I basically move all of my things to a storage unit. So prospective buyers can imagine what their things will look like in my house. I am supposed to leave just the essentials. Bed, clothes, dresser etc.
are people really going this?
Old 02-21-21, 12:25 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by big john
Too windy for road riding near home yesterday so I drove to a mountain bike trail about 45 miles from home. It was nice there and I got really tired. I didn't take pictures but found some on the web. First, I rode to the beach from the trailhead. I didn't want to leave but climbing awaited.

First long climb has nice views. There's the beach where I was a little while ago.
This a beautiful view John. Just beautiful. I miss Ca. I have to come back somday.
Old 02-21-21, 12:34 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28596 Post(s)
Liked 1,855 Times in 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by ls01
Tell me if this is a new thing in real-estate. My realtor came by yesterday, we were supposed to go look at a house but since I had no pre-approval we weren't going to be allowed to. I plan on paying cash after the sale of my home. Which is where things not only get weird but down right inconvenient. She suggested that I, after I finish with the fixing up of certain areas. That I basically move all of my things to a storage unit. So prospective buyers can imagine what their things will look like in my house. I am supposed to leave just the essentials. Bed, clothes, dresser etc.
Are you a hoarder?
Old 02-21-21, 12:38 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
It’s warming up here, but risk of icy roads is still too high. Plan is more fake miles in the dungeon.
Eat your heart out... Seriously, after 18 straight days of indoor, it was weird having to steer and balance, again!

Old 02-21-21, 12:39 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12762 Post(s)
Liked 7,677 Times in 4,073 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
That looks heavy.
Guaranteed lighter than a certain forumite's light, aero seatpost.
Old 02-21-21, 12:49 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I always use a bubble level as a reference when I futz with my saddle. I sometimes mark the tube with a grease pencil.
Same. I lay something on top the saddle like a board or hard back book and then use a torpedo level. Luckily, I'm one of those fit-sensitive people who senses immediately when my fit is out of whack so I'll re-check and tweak if necessary but it rarely is if I'm careful. And for the record, I find a level spot of floor to start with or use shims to get the bike in perfect position before I start.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 02-21-21, 12:49 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
You need a new realtor. It does make sense to streamline the house for showing, but to remove everything but essentials, no. Houses present better when furnished as if real people live there.

As for not showing a cash buyer a listing, I've never heard of that.

Where are you located?
Old 02-21-21, 12:51 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

I am supposed to leave just the essentials. Bed, clothes, dresser etc.
Yes, we did that when we sold our house. Our house, garage, basement, etc. never looked better or cleaner.

Old 02-21-21, 12:52 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Eat your heart out... Seriously, after 18 straight days of indoor, it was weird having to steer and balance, again!
<--- Went almost six weeks without any pedaling at all
Old 02-21-21, 12:54 PM
Mojo31
-------

Plumber who is a friend of my wife's boss just left. He fixed the busted elbow to the water heater the other day, and after I got a replacement part for the heater, he fixed the broken internal part. He would not take money (and I was told he wouldn't) so $90 in parts, $150 for overnight shipping, and a $200 gift card to Wild Wings (his hangout), and we are back in business.

He also suggested that I watch this video ():

Likes For Mojo31:
Old 02-21-21, 01:28 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by Mojo31
You need a new realtor. It does make sense to streamline the house for showing, but to remove everything but essentials, no. Houses present better when furnished as if real people live there.

As for not showing a cash buyer a listing, I've never heard of that.

Where are you located?
MI. North of Detroit.
Old 02-21-21, 01:44 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

MI. North of Detroit.
Must not be a great seller's market for you to be getting this kind of advice.
Old 02-21-21, 01:47 PM
Mojo31
-------

MI. North of Detroit.
Gotcha. I was thinking if you were in the Maryland/DC area, I know a great realtor I could hook you up with.
Old 02-21-21, 01:48 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,745 Times in 2,763 Posts
Don't really know yet. The pipe from the pump separated, and I can't get it back together so the power is off and I can't run the system. I may have some leaks at some of the valves based what happened when I vented the filter and allowed water to backflow out of it. Pool service comes on Wednesdays, so I plan to wait for their assessment. Good thing is the skimmers do not appear cracked, the filter has not cracked, and I doubt anything underground would have frozen, so parts and labor to repair should be no more than a thousand or two. We don't see any cracks in the shell, and we're not loosing water. If I'm right, I consider myself lucky.

The plumber that is a friend of my wife's boss is coming today to finish the repair of the water heater. He fixed the pipe break the other day, but when the power went off, the freeze protection in the heater did not work, and an internal part broke from frozen water. Had the parts overnighted from the manufacturer, and they arrived yesterday. Hopefully, that takes care of that.

All-in-all we've just been inconvenienced as total repair costs shouldn't be more than a few thousand bucks. We were lucky to catch the pipe burst in the attic before it flooded the dining room too bad or we would be repairing a lot more than a couple of sheets of drywall. Guy across the street has a large pile of carpet and pad sitting by the curb, so I expect he has had pretty significant water damage to walls and ceilings as well. There are still some areas in our town that do not have power after six days.
Good deal. Good to hear you made it through as well as you did. It's always a struggle for me when we have a disaster of some type, and I see the aftereffects of it all. I'm happy we survived relatively trouble free, but damn.... We do what we can.
Old 02-21-21, 01:56 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,745 Times in 2,763 Posts
Plumber who is a friend of my wife's boss just left. He fixed the busted elbow to the water heater the other day, and after I got a replacement part for the heater, he fixed the broken internal part. He would not take money (and I was told he wouldn't) so $90 in parts, $150 for overnight shipping, and a $200 gift card to Wild Wings (his hangout), and we are back in business.

He also suggested that I watch this video ():

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-gMWNS8Ts

Holy......

Yeah, I had to laugh.
Old 02-21-21, 02:40 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Good, snowy ride, even if my feet were numb for the last 30 minutes.

Old 02-21-21, 02:55 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Good, snowy ride, even if my feet were numb for the last 30 minutes.

I settled for indoor today, I had to spend some time reading an assessment of our business today in advance of a post merger strategic retreat over the next three days (I’m doing it remotely) so no chance to head outside. We did get a nice dog hike through the woods done this afternoon though.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 02-21-21, 03:28 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I was in my last rental for 16 years and when the landlord died, his sister inherited the house. She tried to sell it with us living there but couldn't get an acceptable offer. She decided to evict us which the listing agent may have had a say in. I think they suspected we were telling potential buyers the truth about certain things. They did spend a little money on it after we were out and they eventually did sell it.
It sucked having people walking around in the house while we were home. It also sucked getting evicted on short notice.
Old 02-21-21, 03:40 PM
WhyFi

Staging is pretty important. Some people don't have the imagination to see themselves living in a space that has the thumbprints of someone else all over the place, so sometimes it's best to just have the broad outlines of how the various spaces can be defined and utilized. How far you need to pare back is a gray area, but removing anything that could be construed as clutter and highly personal stuff like family photos and kitten collections is a good idea.
Old 02-21-21, 04:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10422 Post(s)
Liked 11,884 Times in 6,088 Posts
I think they show better when furnished as if imaginary people live there. You know, the ones who always do the laundry and don't leave mail stacked on the dining table, who always use coasters and don't have any pets, and their children are all grown up and moved out.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-21-21, 04:36 PM
ls01
he said member

Gotcha. I was thinking if you were in the Maryland/DC area, I know a great realtor I could hook you up with.
Thanks for the thought. I appreciate it.
Old 02-21-21, 04:40 PM
ls01
he said member

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Must not be a great seller's market for you to be getting this kind of advice.
Its smoking hot actually, people are getting into bidding wars. Sellers are getting more than asking prices, due to bidding wars.
This is also driving up property taxes. My taxes are going up again , I just recieved the notice. My values went up $14,000 this last year.
Old 02-21-21, 04:47 PM
ls01
he said member

Its going to cost me a small fortune to rent enough space for my junk. My guitar collection, my airplanes, holy cripes. Can't put the guitars in cold storage that'll ruin thier finish.
Old 02-21-21, 04:50 PM
WhyFi

Its going to cost me a small fortune to rent enough space for my junk. My guitar collection, my airplanes, holy cripes. Can't put the guitars in cold storage that'll ruin thier finish.
No it won't - it'll pack away neatly in a small space and it'll be a month or two and, frankly, when you store a bunch of your **** away, you'll probably ask yourself why you didn't do it fo real and sooner.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-21-21, 05:02 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8830 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,729 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Guaranteed lighter than a certain forumite's light, aero seatpost.
I have a lightweight, aero and elegant seatpost .

Unfortunately my back is still FUBAR so, no riding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.