Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem Racing

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Tandem Racing

Old 02-07-21, 10:17 AM
milesglink

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tandem Racing

Is there such a thing as professional tandem racing?
Old 02-07-21, 06:35 PM
RWHowe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts
No. In fact I recently emailed USACycling about the tandem time trial category at the US National championships. They have not held it in a few years and have no plans to add it to the list of events.

Let's start our own tandem championships!
Old 02-08-21, 09:20 AM
bwebel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Racing tandems has been declining for a while. There used to be UCI world champs in tandem track racing until 1994. USAC used to have national champs on the road, in both mass start and TT, until a few years ago. When I started riding tandem in the late 1990s, there were a handful of stage-type races around the country, the largest was put on by Comotion in OR. But this has all declined over the last decade+. At this point, a handful of time trials in our area may have tandem categories, but even that is getting rarer, and a couple of times I have specifically asked the organizer just so we could go out and race. I think the only place you still really get tandem competitions is in para-cycling for blind stokers.
Old 02-08-21, 07:52 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
We did the Co-Motion Classic Tandem Stage Race, road and TT twice at Masters Nationals, and Florida State Championships.

All that’s gone now. We have done some gravel races since then that still have tandem divisions.

The fact that gravel is open to tandems I think is somewhat emblematic of the broader shift to gravel racing which is more open and inclusive than USA cycling sponsored road racing has been.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-22-21, 06:46 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
We did the Co-Motion Classic Tandem Stage Race, road and TT twice at Masters Nationals, and Florida State Championships.

All that’s gone now. We have done some gravel races since then that still have tandem divisions.

The fact that gravel is open to tandems I think is somewhat emblematic of the broader shift to gravel racing which is more open and inclusive than USA cycling sponsored road racing has been.
Add to this my perceived observation that competitive collegiate cycling is mostly mountain bike racing these days, you have even less interest in road events. Given the prevalence and popularity of middle and high school mountain biking, these kids are matriculating to college as mountain bikers. Adieu to collegiate road racing! Boohoo! This certainly will not support any sort of road tandem competition in the future, if you ask me.

Perhaps if anything, we should be looking for tandem mountain biking opportunities as this is probably the only real hope we could have!

Kids these days!