Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Need bike recs

Old 03-04-21, 08:35 AM
Racbradshaw
NOLA504Life

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old or New?

Hi, all.
I’m 42, female, and 5’ 9” tall. For the last 15 years, I’ve ridden a 2006 Schwinn Sierra (12 years) and a 2018 Specialized Crossroads (3 years). Both were large men’s frames. I loved the Schwinn, but it was stolen. The Specialized was okay. In both my right arm always fell asleep no matter what I did to adjust, and it’s so bad now that I haven’t been riding. I do have known neck and nerve problems.

I mostly ride casually around town with kids, but would love to commute and ride more. I’ve tried the Electra Townie step over and it is so comfy, but I hate the look. Would like a slimmer profile and more chrome. I like the Electra Loft for looks and I hear it’s comfy, but there are none available anywhere near me. What I really need are the swept back handlebars and a closer, higher set up. For a tall lady. Basically, a unicorn!

I have a lead on a 1975 Schwinn Suburban at the local shop here that does amazing work. They will customize it for my height! We got a smaller 1978 Suburban for my daughter last year from there and I am so jealous of it! It’s just beautiful. This one is that root beer brown color, has the original rack and seat and grips, and my love for old things says go with it. I tried 4 bikes yesterday and I loved it most.

However, I feel like there might be new bikes out there that will fit my needs with better tech. Is newer better? I’ve seen some online, but a lot of them (Linus Dutchie, for example) aren’t sold here. Tried out a Detroit brand B Commuter style yesterday but I was too tall. Price limit is $800. Advice?

Last edited by Racbradshaw; 03-04-21 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-04-21, 09:03 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
You have a vastly different approach to bikes than I do. Yes, having a pretty bike is important but I consider a lot of other things to be more important. Since I ride recumbent bikes and trikes that will tell you a lot. #1, does the bike fit? That eliminates any bike that has one-size-fits-all. How much does it weigh. I'd never consider buying a bike that is more suitable for weight lifting than for riding. In general lighter means it has better components and is easier to pedal.

I took a look at a 1973 Schwinn Suburbans offered online on eBay. It's not a particularly high quality bike to start with. One piece crank, Chrome steel wheels. Cheap steel rear derailleur. Typical Schwinn welded frame. Ask the bike shop to weigh the bike. I'll bet it tips the scale at 35-40 pounds. I can think of many bikes of this era that are both pretty and more useful than this one. BTW I owned a French road bike of that year that weighed 21 pounds and was great to pedal.
Old 03-04-21, 12:49 PM
tpadul 

Bikes: 1984 Sekai 5000 Superbe, 1987 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour, 1984 Schwinn World Sport, 1978 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2021 Handsome She Devil, Mystery Vintage purple road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 61 Posts
Have you checked out Handsome Cycles, they have a flat $50 shipping to anywhere in the U.S. I bought their 8 speed She Devil in January, and this link here is for their 1 speed Beatrix they have a 55cm frame that would probably be perfect for you.

https://handsomecycles.com/products/...y-single-speed