Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Seat cover using truck tube

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-21, 06:13 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

I have large bones, and need a large seat/saddle. Regular seats are too uncomfortable for me. Just after buying my bike, I bought a long seat post and a large seat. After a few years, the top of the seat began to crack. This created a problem, as when I sat on it, the cracked part would push down and together, and pinch my sensitive parts. I looked for another large seat, and was unable to find one.

I bought some tape, and taped it up. This was good for awhile, but the tape would slide a little every time I rode the bike, eventually exposing the cracked part again. I also tried a plastic bag over this, but it became necessary to replace the plastic bags every few days.

I decided to try a piece of old truck tube over the seat. I tied a piece of old bicycle tube around it, around the seat post. I may secure it in a better way in the future, but this works well.

i was concerned about the rubber making the back of my pants black, but this does not seem to be a problem.

With many regular seats, you slide on the seat. I found the rubber does not slide on the seat, and your pants don't slide on the rubber. Which I like better than regular seats.

If I come across something I can use for padding, I may even put that under my truck tire seat cover, to make it even more padded. If the padding goes across the top and down the sides, it will effectively make the seat even a little larger.

I don't expect the truck tube to wear through or tear, but if it does it is easy to replace. It may become brittle over time.

It does get hot when exposed to sunlight.

I have only been using this for a short time, and may have other ideas in the future. But my first impression is it is a good idea.

I know most of you are comfortable on regular sized seats, so it is easy to buy a replacement. But this information may be useful for those using less common seats.

I may even use rubber over good seats in the future, as I like the idea that it prevents sliding on the seat. For example, if you tend to slide forward on the seat, some of your energy is used to continually push yourself back on the seat.

Somebody wanting a good business idea, could make seats with a non-slip rubber, or rubber like surface.

Last edited by alo; 04-01-21 at 06:24 AM.
Likes For alo:
Old 04-01-21, 09:03 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
What size do you need in terms of a saddle? What are your sit bone measurements and are you in a more upright or sporty position? There are still tons of excellent saddles out there in various widths so I would get measured if you haven't already and we can certainly help find something in width. I have a feeling if you need a longer seat post maybe the bike is a bit small for you (or you just want more seatpost in the tube for safety as a bigger rider).
Old 04-01-21, 11:11 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
https://www.sellesmp.com/en/saddles/...ng-medium.html
Old 04-01-21, 01:00 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
A saddle needs to fit, but the more you ride the more you realize that padding is the opposite of helpful, since it moves pressure from your sit bones which can condition to take it all day to your soft tissue which really can't.

​​​​​​Also a sticky seat isn't good, if there's any movement it should be between your shorts and the seat, not you and your shorts.

Pushing some back into the seat can be a good thing as it means that some of your weight is on your arms rather than your seat. Also pedaling harder gearing gets alittle weight on your legs and off your rear end.
Old 04-01-21, 03:26 PM
alo

No doubt I will come across another large seat in the future. After all, I found the one I have.

I am in a place where most people selling on the internet don't deliver to.

I am also in a place where things are cheap. I can buy a new regular seat for less than $2, but they are too small. The large one I have, I bought for less than $10 used. It probably came from a used bike. They import a lot of used bikes from Japan.

What I have done with the rubber works well, so I am happy to continue using it. I actually picked up a damaged tube from a place that replaces truck tires. It was free.

Originally Posted by UniChris
​​​​​​Also a sticky seat isn't good, if there's any movement it should be between your shorts and the seat, not you and your shorts.
It is not sticky, but it is not slippery either. Where you sit, you stay. I like it. I may do the same thing with good seats in the future, because I like the idea of not sliding on the seat.

I have only used this for a few days. In the future I may have other ideas.

I am a person who experiments with new ideas. Some things I try, and find out they are not good ideas. Other things work well, so I continue to use them. I posted recently about putting motorbike mirrors on my bicycle, and using motorbike tubes in my bicycle. The mirrors, motorbike tubes, and rubber on my seat all seem like good ideas during the short time I have used them. See what i think about them in a couple of years time. In most cases I am saving money. But it is not just about money. For example, motorbike tubes are more expensive than bicycle tubes. But I like the idea that they are tougher. It will probably be much longer before they become unreparable, compared to bicycle tubes.

Some things I have done, and am planning to do with my bicycle, I have not shared yet.

What you can do with your bicycle is limited only by the creativity of your imagination.
Old 04-02-21, 03:45 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by alo
I am in a place where most people selling on the internet don't deliver to.
I'm dubious. So you are telling us that you have internet, but no deliveries available?

Originally Posted by alo
I am also in a place where things are cheap. I can buy a new regular seat for less than $2, but they are too small.
Do you mind telling us where?
Old 04-02-21, 03:50 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Never mind, I just saw a thread where you claim to live in Australia.
Old 04-02-21, 03:57 AM
alo

S E Asia

I'm dubious. So you are telling us that you have internet, but no deliveries available?
A lot of things being delivered have been stolen. People have not received them. So most people refuse to send things here. There are a small number of companies that deliver here, but the cost is very high, which normally makes it not worthwhile.

The things available in shops are very cheap. The only difficulty is with things not available here.
Old 04-02-21, 06:12 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
What I have done with the rubber works well, so I am happy to continue using it.
It's well know that the impression of what works in a saddle is distorted by inexperience, often to the point of exact opposites.

If you end up trying to ride more, you'll eventually come to understand why this was a bad idea, and why the things you are trying to avoid are actually important.

But you seem uninterested in the explanation of why, so that will be for you to re-discover the hard way.
Likes For UniChris:
Old 04-03-21, 08:24 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
A saddle needs to fit, but the more you ride the more you realize that padding is the opposite of helpful, since it moves pressure from your sit bones which can condition to take it all day to your soft tissue which really can't.

Pushing some back into the seat can be a good thing as it means that some of your weight is on your arms rather than your seat. Also pedaling harder gearing gets alittle weight on your legs and off your rear end.
You just summarized why I ride a Brooks B17. Have for decades, never a seat problem.