Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Adventure Cycling Intro to Touring

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 04-09-12, 10:52 AM
etw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I am considering checking out Adventure Cycling's Intro to Touring this summer.

https://www.adventurecycling.org/tour...U12&id=316&p=1

I have not done any touring and would like some input from people who have done it. I am interested in thoughts and experiences.
Old 04-09-12, 12:20 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You really need to ask a specific question. You can't reasonably expect everyone to sit down and type out for you their entire history of bicycle touring.

Browse this forum, there's lots of information. Or try the crazyguyonabike website, there are all sort of hints and tips there, as well as a gazillion blogs of individual tours.
Old 04-09-12, 12:30 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
You really need to ask a specific question.
I think the specific question was whether anyone had attended one of Adventure Cycling's "Intro to Road Touring" tours. At least that is what I think they meant.
Old 04-09-12, 12:58 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I apologize if I was not clear. As I was referencing a particular link and tour, I guess I assumed that folks would realize that I was not asking for the history of touring in the world. ;-) I apologize for any confusion.

Let's try again-

As an inexperienced touring cyclist, I am considering checking out Adventure Cycling's Intro to Touring this summer.

I would like some input from people who have done this introductory tour. If you have done it, how did you like it? Did you find it helpful or worthwhile? Anything else you would like to add that would be helpful would be appreciated.
Old 04-09-12, 01:15 PM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by etw
I apologize if I was not clear. As I was referencing a particular link and tour, I guess I assumed that folks would realize that I was not asking for the history of touring in the world. ;-) I apologize for any confusion.

Let's try again-

As an inexperienced touring cyclist, I am considering checking out Adventure Cycling's Intro to Touring this summer.

I would like some input from people who have done this introductory tour. If you have done it, how did you like it? Did you find it helpful or worthwhile? Anything else you would like to add that would be helpful would be appreciated.
Why not just contact ACA and ask for references? Hopefully they would have someone close to you, but if not I'm sure they could put you in contact with some past participants.
Old 04-09-12, 02:09 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
This course is listed as "self-contained" as they define that term. Click on the internal link and see what that involves. Unless there is something different about this particular offering, you have to have most of the basic gear you need for a self-contained camping tour. I.e., a suitable touring bike, racks and panniers (or a trailer), sleeping bag, tent, mattress, personal eating utensils and bowl/plate/cup. They supply group cooking gear. I would ask ACA if this is correct. If it is, understand that you could make a relatively large investment only to discover that you don't like self-contained touring of this type. \

I see no reason to take this course if you envision yourself doing only supported tours.