Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Peugeot PX 10 Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-19, 09:48 PM
7Shifty
7Shifty

Bikes: Peugeot PX10 I Fuji Feather

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Peugeot PX 10 Thoughts?

Hey guys! Thanks for clicking on this post! I just joined this wonderful forum after years of being a lurker. I'm happy to be a member! I slowly starting to fall in love with cycling and I just recently bought my second bike and it's a $380 Peugeot PX10 off of craigslist. The PX10 has all of its original components including Normandy Hubs, campy components and a Reynold's 531 Steel Frame. I was wondering if I made the right purchase. I know that on ebay, they sell these PX10 from 700-1200 dollars and I was wondering why it's so high?
It has a 7 digit serial number so I'm assuming it's from the 70s?

I would post a picture but it does not allow until I've made at least 10 post..

I lied here's a picture: https://imgur.com/gallery/D2FRFFq

Last edited by 7Shifty; 05-18-19 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-17-19, 09:59 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
People ask all kinds of prices for Peugeot PX 10s on eBay but that doesn't means it's worth $700-$1200. $400 +/- $50 is about right assuming that it's in decent condition. So you did fine and it's a great bike. But we can't value it obviously without the pics and you will need to overhaul it and fix it up before riding it.

Last edited by bikemig; 05-17-19 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-18-19, 02:29 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
In my opinion, an original PX10 is worth more than $380.00.

Peugeot is an incredibly well known name in bicycles, vintage bicycles even more so and the PX10 is the top of the line racing bike that would have scored high in many serious competitions. With that in mind, the Peugeot PX10 series (there were a few different versions) is almost iconic in nature, and nice to look at (my opinion). Because they are/were so well known, more potential buyers want them and, thanks to the law of supply and demand, prices go up and up. I sold my last PX10 for over a thousand dollars, including shipping cost...

Many people automatically assume that a Peugeot is an X10. Here is a NOT X10 but the livery (paint and art) looks similar to this lowly Peugeot PE41, allowing for people to easily get confused. Notice that the X10 (above) has chromed fork and stays socks, a almost sure indication that the bike is an X10..

I am a definite fan of the Peugeot PX10 and this is the one that I have now...
Old 05-18-19, 05:58 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by 7Shifty
I know that on ebay, they sell these PX10 from 700-1200 dollars and I was wondering why it's so high?
First, depending on condition, $380 for a PX 10 sounds like a nice purchase. Not the steal of the century, but an iconic vintage bike at a reasonable price.

But to your comments:

They sell for? Or someone asks for? Asking prices are just that, asking. Hope springs eternal in some sellers. So they will ask way over market, hoping to snag a fish. Sometimes they do, but its rare. Actual sales are a better measure. Never, ever, base buying or selling pricing decisions on ebay asking prices.

As to what something sells for on ebay, selling into a global or national market tends to get a lot more interest than selling into a local market. In addition, the seller has to pay all kinds of fees, to both ebay and PayPal. Then you have to carefully pack and ship at a reasonable price. Then buyers win all disputes, the old "item not as described" trick. All in all, sellers can net more on ebay but it can be painful, and often, its not as much more as they would think. Did I mention ebay charges seller fees on the shipping? So a seller gets tagged for even more.

Its so much easier for someone to sell a bike locally. Sellers should expect to NOT get actual ebay sales prices and buyers should expect to not pay those prices either.

"The PX10 has all of its original components including ..... campy components." I'm not familiar with Campy parts being original to a PX-10, but I am certainly not an expert on PX10s.

Finally, Randy is right. When I see PX-10s for sale locally, 90% of the time they are not PX-10s. And when I see people post here "is this a PX10?" 90% of the time it's not. There is an assumption out there if it is painted white and has Peugeot labels, well, it must be a PX-10. Yours does sound like one.

And Randy, when did you get $1000 for a PX-10? Market has softened up over the last several years.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-18-19 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-18-19, 04:24 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
And Randy, when did you get $1000 for a PX-10? Market has softened up over the last several years.
I could look it up but let's say eight to ten years ago. As for the market softening, it has darn near melted except for the truly collectible steeds. Higher end vintage stuff seems to have increased in value, while all other quality levels have dropped in value. Understandable when one considers the present market, a market now flooded with retro looking bikes for cheap. This being a prime example of the sort of bike that has damage vintage bicycle sales (my opinion, only)...

That said, I rarely offer to sell bikes, anymore. People, for some reason, contact me these days, seeking specific bikes ready to go or I get asked to build one for the individual involved. My most recent French bike to go was a Motobecane Grand Jubilee (two years ago) and it sold for a pretty good price also...

I think that I have a big advantage, over the average guy or gal who is into the vintage bicycle interest. That advantage is MY "TEN SPEEDS", a website that I published to help others stop making mistakes in buy, building and selling vintage bicycles. Since then, things seem to have gotten better and better for me, even though I no longer pursue any kind of volume.

And, I still like to find old bikes. I mean, I really LIKE to find old bikes and bike number three, in one week of hunting (for lack of a better word), is this really clean and little used Rocky Mountain, that came my way this morning when attempting to help others...

Last edited by randyjawa; 05-18-19 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-18-19, 05:37 PM
7Shifty
7Shifty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Heres a picture of the PX10. I've read multiple articles and yes campagnolo did not come out on the PX10 until the late 1980s. It also has Sunlite SL front derailleurs. So I'm assuming the first owner of the bike replaced them as well as repainted the bike! What do you think?

https://imgur.com/gallery/D2FRFFq
Old 05-18-19, 05:41 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
That bike is sweet. It has been modded (the rear drop out has modified for the campagnolo rear derailleur but these are tasteful mods. Plus the bike looks to be in great shape.
Old 05-18-19, 06:27 PM
7Shifty
7Shifty

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
In my opinion, an original PX10 is worth more than $380.00.

Peugeot is an incredibly well known name in bicycles, vintage bicycles even more so and the PX10 is the top of the line racing bike that would have scored high in many serious competitions. With that in mind, the Peugeot PX10 series (there were a few different versions) is almost iconic in nature, and nice to look at (my opinion). Because they are/were so well known, more potential buyers want them and, thanks to the law of supply and demand, prices go up and up. I sold my last PX10 for over a thousand dollars, including shipping cost...

Many people automatically assume that a Peugeot is an X10. Here is a NOT X10 but the livery (paint and art) looks similar to this lowly Peugeot PE41, allowing for people to easily get confused. Notice that the X10 (above) has chromed fork and stays socks, a almost sure indication that the bike is an X10..

I am a definite fan of the Peugeot PX10 and this is the one that I have now...
Heres a picture of the bike:
https://imgur.com/gallery/D2FRFFq

There is a simplex carved in the fork-ends so I'm assuming its a legit Peugeot model. I just have no clue whether the Campagnolo derailleurs, Suntour SL fron derailleurs, Sunlight 52 cranks, plus campagnolo shifters are valuable/reliable?
Old 05-19-19, 11:15 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Judging from the lugs and rake in the fork and dropouts, my guess is 1973, although that year did not have braze-ons for the shifters or water bottle.
Could have been added and repainted... and it has been repainted.
Not original components, except for the Brooks saddle if that is a Brooks, and the brake levers.
Old 05-19-19, 04:20 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

wrt dating -

if 93 chainset taken to be original '76 is latest it could be as 105, which succeeded '93, launched '77

-----