Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Growing pain for e-bikes.

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Growing pain for e-bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-24, 01:25 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Dutch police found a way to test e-bike power on the side of the road
my understanding is they just run the bike up as fast as it will go, so it's not really power. The article I saw made the same error. Power would require much more calibration.
Old 02-17-24, 01:45 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
The picture that I saw looked (to me) like the rear wheel (in this instance) was on a portable dyno. I didn't think they were measuring speed since it would be load dependent. I doubt we need to be concerned in socal because the gendarmes are overwhelmed with other activities.
Likes For 2old:
Old 02-18-24, 09:19 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
I saw an article in electrek, and the author stated the testing device was dyno-related. The operator (gendarme) locks the front wheel and tests the power of the rear wheel. The max power in the Netherlands is 250w, not 750w which is the max for most US states.
Old 02-18-24, 01:36 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
The Watt rating for a motor is not a measure of the power it produces but rather the power it can consume at a single point in time. The police in the Netherlands understand this and so measure the actual power generated with their portable dyno device.

The real problem is the failure of the transportation planners to separate cyclists from pedestrians. In China in the major cities their city planners have created separate bike paths for motorized bike and scooters so there are no conflicts with either cars and trucks or with pedestrians.

The failures of transportation people are always blamed on the motorists or the bicyclists or the pedestrians and "journalists" always accept this at face value.
Old 02-19-24, 12:06 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Lightbulb

Dutch police found a way to test e-bike power on the side of the road

https://electrek.co/2024/02/13/dutch...e-of-the-road/

I was just thinking what a complex and expensive solution that is.
Why not just take the bike for a ride with a phone GPS speedometer app running?
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 02-19-24, 01:11 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Not easy to calibrate a ride on the road. I'm not sure the device has to be quite so elaborate though. I suppose overkill is good if you are going to sanction someone.

Apparently they go after bikes with large tires, like the one shown in the picture.

Originally Posted by 2old
The picture that I saw looked (to me) like the rear wheel (in this instance) was on a portable dyno. I didn't think they were measuring speed since it would be load dependent.
The regulations are such that the speed is supposed to be limited. It doesn't really matter what the load is for that, because it should be limited despite the conditions. The only trick with these things is they have to determine when the boost cuts out. A dyno to determine power would be a lot more complicated.

Last edited by unterhausen; 02-19-24 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-08-24, 08:38 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
Bicycle Deaths in New York City Are at a 23-Year High

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/05/n...ths-ebike.html

The rise in electric bike deaths does not appear to be the result of an increase in e-bike ridership, at least not entirely, according to the Department of Transportation. And although the most visible e-bike users in New York may be delivery workers and Citi Bike riders, the majority of people who died on e-bikes last year were neither. Only one delivery worker died from an e-bike crash, according to the department, and four people died using electric Citi Bikes, according to Lyft, which owns the bike share program.

There was one factor that contributed to last year’s spike in e-bike deaths that may suggest a shifting dynamic on the road: nearly a third of the e-bike riders who died crashed or fell without any apparent interference from a vehicle or pedestrian.

Among the cyclists who died in a collision with an automobile, most were hit by trucks, like S.U.V.s, pickups, larger box trucks or tractor-trailers.
Overall, trucks were involved in half of last year’s 30 bike deaths. In at least six of those 15 incidents, the cyclist was killed by a truck that was turning at an intersection — usually making a right turn.
Likes For cat0020:
Old 03-08-24, 11:20 AM
p.murray@rogers

Bikes: Custom recumbent e-bike, Oryx full suspension cross country bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
That seems very strange, maybe some of these riders who fell without any apparent reason were trying to avoid an animal or perhaps died suddenly. Any thoughts on why this might be happening?
Old 03-08-24, 02:00 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 593 Posts
Originally Posted by p.murray@rogers
That seems very strange, maybe some of these riders who fell without any apparent reason were trying to avoid an animal or perhaps died suddenly. Any thoughts on why this might be happening?
The article said "New York City", not the suburbs or countryside. They weren't trying to avoid animals, and definitely didn't die "suddenly", unless getting hit by a vehicle accounted for "suddenly". Too bad the full article is hidden behind a paywall.
Old 03-08-24, 02:39 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
This reminds me of the movie The Equalizer 3, when Denzel grabs the hand of mobster and is pushing real hard on a nerve in his hand. He tells him this is about "pain compliance"...... while politely asking him and his gang to leave town. Hah hah . He shows him there are consequences for his presence there, where before he never felt any.

So it is with real bicycles, you can only go as fast as you can immediately suffer, and not for ever long at that. On an e-bike you can go quite fast, but with zero immediate bodily pain from the effort. So when a speed hungry e-bike rider hops on board, it's f-yeah ! speeeeeed baby without the immediate suffering or one drop of sweat. In that way it's like a drug, all thrill but no suffering. Of course their "bodily consequences" are far more injurious when they do happen to crash or get hit from a car from not being seen from going so fast.
Old 03-08-24, 04:16 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Garthr
This reminds me of the movie The Equalizer 3, when Denzel grabs the hand of mobster and is pushing real hard on a nerve in his hand. He tells him this is about "pain compliance"...... while politely asking him and his gang to leave town. Hah hah . He shows him there are consequences for his presence there, where before he never felt any.

So it is with real bicycles, you can only go as fast as you can immediately suffer, and not for ever long at that. On an e-bike you can go quite fast, but with zero immediate bodily pain from the effort. So when a speed hungry e-bike rider hops on board, it's f-yeah ! speeeeeed baby without the immediate suffering or one drop of sweat. In that way it's like a drug, all thrill but no suffering. Of course their "bodily consequences" are far more injurious when they do happen to crash or get hit from a car from not being seen from going so fast.
That actually made no sense, since you seem to be associating something irrelevant to riding an ebike. Speed hungry ebiker? Seems like this is coming from the snobby opinion of a spandex clad rodie, who gets upset when an ebiker passes you by. If you don't like ebikes that's your issue. This isn't a powered vs unpowered debate... Especially since I've SEEN multiple accidents in NYC involving human powered cyclists getting hit and KILLED by reckless, irresponsible drivers. I've ALSO witnessed bicyclists (again, HUMAN powered) hit pedestrians without giving a DAMN about their safety.

Last edited by tds101; 03-08-24 at 04:39 PM.
Old 03-08-24, 04:50 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

I've been commuting between Hoboken, Manhattan and Brooklyn (Coney Isl.) on bicycles since 2013.
Traffic pattern for cyclists have changed drastically better for cyclists since.
The pace in the city is different from most anywhere else, even for walkers, let along cyclist or motorists.
As one of the most densely populated city with tourists among them, it's fascinating how casualties are not higher.
Time to time, I have closed calls myself on the bike, but being used to the pace of the city, I manage to avoid death
by hopping onto the sidewalk or any place there is to avoid impact.
I rather hit a 200 lb. pedestrian than a 4000 lb. car. either way I take my chances, but I think the prior gives my better odds.
Old 03-08-24, 05:57 PM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
That actually made no sense, since you seem to be associating something irrelevant to riding an ebike. Speed hungry ebiker? Seems like this is coming from the snobby opinion of a spandex clad rodie, who gets upset when an ebiker passes you by. If you don't like ebikes that's your issue. This isn't a powered vs unpowered debate... Especially since I've SEEN multiple accidents in NYC involving human powered cyclists getting hit and KILLED by reckless, irresponsible drivers. I've ALSO witnessed bicyclists (again, HUMAN powered) hit pedestrians without giving a DAMN about their safety.
This reminds me of sometimes even with friends and family members we always don't get what the other is saying and take offense to something we either just didn't get, misheard, or maybe we're just mad about something else unsaid. BF is no different.
It always passes.
Old 03-09-24, 08:25 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Garthr
This reminds me of sometimes even with friends and family members we always don't get what the other is saying and take offense to something we either just didn't get, misheard, or maybe we're just mad about something else unsaid. BF is no different.
It always passes.
It would pass if you actually said what you mean then, since it's coming from an anti-ebike point of view. I understood what you posted, I didn't take offense, and I'm definitely not mad about something someone else said. I'm pro-ebike, escooter, EUC, etc. I own multiple human powered bicycles as well. I didn't come into a thread posting something that's definitely irrelevant, like you have. Is this clear enough for you to understand? If not, clarify your post.
Old 03-09-24, 01:18 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
Originally Posted by p.murray@rogers

Ebikes are heavy, I fell a couple times at the beginning when I stopped on an uneven surface, and the weight wound up making me fall.
Old 03-10-24, 09:49 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by late
Ebikes are heavy, I fell a couple times at the beginning when I stopped on an uneven surface, and the weight wound up making me fall.
The Specialized Creo weighs about as much as my steel touring bike which is about 32lbs and can get lighter depending on the trim, My Specialized Vado SL is probably going to clock in at 38lbs which is the weight of some non-electric cruisers and older downhill bikes so heavy if it was a non-electric but still pretty light for an electric but I haven't built it for weight I built it for comfort and useability. Some are heavy, my R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff HS is a beast (with two 625wh batteries) but I don't notice the weight while riding I and so long as I can get my feet down which I can it is fine. Obviously if the bike is too big for you and when you step off the saddle you cannot easily put your feet down flat then it is problematic but that is usually a problem for the stuff that is "One Size Fits Some" which is most common in the lower cost D2C stuff or for really short individuals where the smallest frame is still a bit big but then a step through helps and usually alleviates that to a degree for a decent portion of that population (not all of course)
Old 03-10-24, 01:33 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by veganbikes
The Specialized Creo
Cero cost more than $4000 for the cheapest trim, the most expensive would be more than $12000.

Last edited by Hermes; 03-12-24 at 08:57 AM. Reason: No value added.
Old 03-10-24, 02:34 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Regarding those single bike NYC fatalities..... We had one fall last year that was single rider, and could have been far worse. As it was, my wife cracked all her ribs on one side after hitting the wall of a tunnel. She healed up after two months of rest,

All of my falls have been single rider, slick surfaces..... mud, ice, gravel like marbles, I took a bad one last year. Hit my knee and my whole leg swelled up, Docs ordered MRI to look for blood clots,
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 03-11-24, 04:39 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
On the topic of ascending death rates among NYC riders:

It's likely that at least some riders don't fully understand how much of an effect the increases in weight, acceleration, and top speed of e-bikes can have on controlling the bikes. Add the density and unpredictability of New York City traffic, and the changing rates of accidents (and deaths) are unsurprising.
Old 03-11-24, 08:14 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Thumbs up

Bicycle Deaths in New York City Are at a 23-Year High

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/05/n...ths-ebike.html

The rise in electric bike deaths does not appear to be the result of an increase in e-bike ridership, at least not entirely, according to the Department of Transportation. And although the most visible e-bike users in New York may be delivery workers and Citi Bike riders, the majority of people who died on e-bikes last year were neither. Only one delivery worker died from an e-bike crash, according to the department, and four people died using electric Citi Bikes, according to Lyft, which owns the bike share program.

There was one factor that contributed to last year’s spike in e-bike deaths that may suggest a shifting dynamic on the road: nearly a third of the e-bike riders who died crashed or fell without any apparent interference from a vehicle or pedestrian.

Among the cyclists who died in a collision with an automobile, most were hit by trucks, like S.U.V.s, pickups, larger box trucks or tractor-trailers.
Overall, trucks were involved in half of last year’s 30 bike deaths. In at least six of those 15 incidents, the cyclist was killed by a truck that was turning at an intersection — usually making a right turn.
Thanks for the update, and for summarizing it for us non-NYT subscribers. Once again, it is the motorists who are usually at fault, and the lack of proper bicycle infrastructure. Being in an SUV/truck's blind spot is something we can watch for. I thought sure it was going to be oncoming left-turners.
Old 03-12-24, 05:02 AM
Dockhead

Bikes: Riese & Müller Multicharger GT 750; Dahon Jetstream EX

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I kinda think they should require an operator's license, but not sure that putting plates on them will do much for anybody.
In many European countries, ebikes with throttles are not allowed at all, and ebikes without speed limitation of 25km/h (about 15mph) -- that is, limit on speed at which motor assist is provided -- are not allowed on bike paths, and require a license.
I'm a kind of libertarian guy who likes his speed, but I have to say that I agree with this approach. Really high speed is not really compatible with bike paths and other bike infrastructure. Moreover, the European traffic design approach is to mix bicycles with pedestrians rather than cars, and too much speed with pedestrians around is also dangerous.
I was thinking about putting a chip on my R&M, which has assist limited to 25kmh, to remove this limitation, but I've changed my mind.
The wrong regulatory approach could lead to degradation of the quality of the experience on bike paths, and increase in accidents, which could cause a backlash. In the U.S., I'd like to see bike traffic mixed with pedestrians, rather than cars, like in Europe, and more bike infrastructure. For all this to work smoothly and safely, a sensible limit on speed is needed.
Old 03-14-24, 02:06 PM
b88

Bikes: Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I am going to disagree with you. Even if a cyclist is going 10 mph, if a pedestrian suddenly walks in front of them, it's not the cyclist's fault but that's what will be said. If a kid breaks lose from a parent and runs in front of a cyclist going 8mph, it's still going to be bad, but not the cyclist's fault. If a dog (or a retractable leash) get in the way of a cyclist going 8mph, it's going to cause an accident. How do I know - they have all happened to me on our local pathway where pedestrians walk on the right side, left side and in the middle and then change without looking behind them at all AND a 4 year old wasn't supervised adequately by a parent and ran right in front of my bike and I had to lay it down to avoid hitting the kid AND I was nearly decapitated by a retractable cable leash stretched across the path with the owner on one side and his dog all the way on the other. My point - I was riding an e-assist at the time at appropriate speeds for the conditions, but even then inattentive or irresponsible pedestrians can cause accidents. So NO, it's not the bikes that create the problem on SHARED paths. Part of the problem is the pedestrian, part is cyclists who go too fast. Where I live the law regarding shared paths says that the pedestrians has the same obligation to behave safely and alertly as cyclists.
Yes I agree with most of what you said. But the problem here is a collision with my bike and a 4 yr old, all fingers point in my direction with extreme prejudice. So like it or not, I give way to the senseless people taking up the entire width of path and grudgingly ride around them. I slow down when pedestrians are walking in the middle of the path.
Likes For b88:
Old 03-14-24, 06:10 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by b88
Yes I agree with most of what you said. But the problem here is a collision with my bike and a 4 yr old, all fingers point in my direction with extreme prejudice. So like it or not, I give way to the senseless people taking up the entire width of path and grudgingly ride around them. I slow down when pedestrians are walking in the middle of the path.
Our paths have a set width and you can't ride off the path easily. Even if you slow down, if some dog jets across in front of you, regardless of you having moved as far left as you can, or a kid runs in front of you or (as recently happened to me) some idiot standing off path steps right in front of you without looking, there isn't much you can do. My job as a cyclist is to obey the law. I am NOT responsible for making sure others pay attention. As a result I will not endanger myself further to avoid a collision with someone who is not behaving in a safe manner. I won't ride off the path, I will no longer lay down my. bike and risk injury, etc. I've had it with people who think cyclists have to watch out for them but they don't have to be at all aware of their surroundings or behavior. Last week some idiot was jogging in the oncoming lane to me in the correct lane while looking at his phone. I stopped and sat there and sure enough he ran right into my trike. Ripped his pant leg. He was very upset and I just kept repeating "try watching where you are going". I'm so over it.
Old 03-15-24, 06:34 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

I've seen it more & more, pedestrians not paying attention to where they are going, focused on their device while walking, not looking before crossing the street..
We all know that plenty of drivers do the same.
Main issue is ebikes make it easier for riders to ride at higher speeds, new or experienced riders alike,
until a rider is familiar with the performance of the ebike, able to respond to situations with minimal incidents,
there are going to be injuries & casualties.
Whether society prioritize legislation to limit PEVs on public roads/trails or educate the masses of importance of following the existing rules of the roads/trails; that's up to each of us to make priorities known to the legislators.
Old 03-15-24, 07:25 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Grin's Perspective on Ebike Battery Fires, 20 Years of Experience

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.