Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Chinese Utility e-bikes

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Chinese Utility e-bikes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-23, 05:14 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 453 Posts
Maybe not Chinese brand, but a good deal for cargo ebike:

Co-op Cycles Generation e1.1 Electric Bike $798.99 Compared to original $1,499.00*

https://www.rei.com/product/189967/c...electric-bike?

Likes For cat0020:
Old 07-31-23, 01:43 PM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Maybe not Chinese brand, but a good deal for cargo ebike:

Co-op Cycles Generation e1.1 Electric Bike $798.99 Compared to original $1,499.00*

https://www.rei.com/product/189967/c...electric-bike?
Not bad. Schwalbe tires, and not even knobbies! Centerstand! Comes with the trunk bag?!
I do question the decision to go with 36 V; that's can be kind of wimpy.

We'll have to see what ol' Micah says when he gets his hands on one.
Old 07-31-23, 03:52 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

I suspect the smaller diameter, narrower tires doesn't require as much voltage to generate torque from the motor..
or more likely it is marketed for international sales in countries that have lower power output requirements.
Old 08-08-23, 11:32 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Looks like there is a new benchmark for cheap e-mopeds.

2000w hub motor, 60V 20Ah battery, under $2k
I'm late to this, but I would like to discourage discussion of electric mopeds like that in this subforum. Endless sphere is full of posts about electric mopeds*, which are only going to cause problems for people with class 1,2,3 ebikes.

*I believe it is technically an electric moped in any state that has laws about ebikes, and not the pejorative label that people like to give to real ebikes.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-08-23, 12:40 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I'm late to this, but I would like to discourage discussion of electric mopeds like that in this subforum. Endless sphere is full of posts about electric mopeds*, which are only going to cause problems for people with class 1,2,3 ebikes.

*I believe it is technically an electric moped in any state that has laws about ebikes, and not the pejorative label that people like to give to real ebikes.
I don't know what "Endless sphere" is, but if qualification for ebike vs e-moped are blurred and problems are caused due to confusion between the two;
then discussions should be encouraged to educate more people about the difference between ebikes vs e-mopeds, especially on public forums.

I've seen ebikes since 1994 when I first started working at bike shops;
home-built, conversions of mt. bikes with power tool batteries to turn into ebikes or e-mopeds;
built by folks who lost their driver's license and had to commute on their bikes.

If folks are using these lower cost ($2K), high powered ebikes for everyday transportation,
does that really upset the class 1, 2, 3 ebike folks that need $400 car rack just to transport their ebikes to ride them?
Old 08-15-23, 05:43 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Not quite "bikes" when you have 4 wheels.. more like quads.

Wide load! Extra-thick four-wheeled electric cargo bikes to replace trucks in New York

https://electrek.co/2023/08/14/wide-...s-in-new-york/

Old 08-15-23, 07:21 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts

I hope the Mod(s) will enforce this rule even though I have posted pictures of some builds that were greater than 750w; I'll try to remember not to do it again. The price of these illegal bikes (AFAIK, they are legal only on some off road trails in CA) has decreased; this is exhibited by "bikes" like the Talaria (about $3K for a 50 mph vehicle with foot pegs, not pedals). My wife was on a local hiking trail and encountered about 20 of these punks riding randomly around her. She is no shrinking violet, but was scared.
Old 08-15-23, 08:25 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I don't know what "Endless sphere" is, but if qualification for ebike vs e-moped are blurred and problems are caused due to confusion between the two;
then discussions should be encouraged to educate more people about the difference between ebikes vs e-mopeds, especially on public forums.

If folks are using these lower cost ($2K), high powered ebikes for everyday transportation,
does that really upset the class 1, 2, 3 ebike folks that need $400 car rack just to transport their ebikes to ride them?
If it's an electric motorcycle, this isn't a motorcycle forum. People also use motorcycles for transportation every day. I'm not going to go back through this thread and see which ones are appropriate or not. I'm not too concerned about overpowered ebikes, as long as we don't get into speed contests on the bike path. But bikes without pedals are off topic.

I'm a little surprised that you haven't heard of endless sphere. They host lots of alternate transportation content. But it's pretty common over there to have people post videos of themselves going way too fast on bike paths and getting arrested for having unlicensed electric motorcycles. People with class 1,2,3 ebikes and care about preserving the good deal we have gotten under the law are rightfully worried about people riding electric motorcycles that bear a passing resemblance to ebikes. I don't know if you were around for the moped boom in the '70s, but they were big for a couple of years and then lawmakers killed them off. Lots of bike shops with unsellable inventory. I don't think this will happen to ebikes, but it could. There are big money interests that wouldn't mind killing them, and the bike industry can't compete with that. All it would take is a few more high-profile deaths of teenage riders and there could be a problem.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-15-23, 09:12 AM
2old

A BIG +1 with the above. The difference with these >750w, 35 mph - 100 mph (There's an individual on ES who achieved 110 mph or so in the quarter mile on his "e-bike") behemoths (in CA) is they are illegal on all roads, trails and bike paths with the possible exception of a few off road trails for Jeep-type vehicles, and are a prominent threat to the legal e-bike community.

Last edited by 2old; 08-15-23 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-15-23, 09:30 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

If it's an electric motorcycle, this isn't a motorcycle forum. People also use motorcycles for transportation every day. I'm not going to go back through this thread and see which ones are appropriate or not. I'm not too concerned about overpowered ebikes, as long as we don't get into speed contests on the bike path. But bikes without pedals are off topic.

I'm a little surprised that you haven't heard of endless sphere. They host lots of alternate transportation content. But it's pretty common over there to have people post videos of themselves going way too fast on bike paths and getting arrested for having unlicensed electric motorcycles. People with class 1,2,3 ebikes and care about preserving the good deal we have gotten under the law are rightfully worried about people riding electric motorcycles that bear a passing resemblance to ebikes. I don't know if you were around for the moped boom in the '70s, but they were big for a couple of years and then lawmakers killed them off. Lots of bike shops with unsellable inventory. I don't think this will happen to ebikes, but it could. There are big money interests that wouldn't mind killing them, and the bike industry can't compete with that. All it would take is a few more high-profile deaths of teenage riders and there could be a problem.

Education is more important than legislation.
People need to be educated of the rules of the road or wherever they ride their bikes.
In many countries around the world, cycling and traffic laws are part of ANNUAL curriculum required in schools from grade schools through high school.
Cycling should be like a life long/saving skill that everyone should know, like swimming.. or maybe even math.
People need to be educated the danger to themselves and others when they operate their bike, ebikes, e-scooter, e-mopeds on public roads.

We have to acknowledge the reality & facts: regardless of laws & rules, people will always want to ride fast will always find a way to modify or upgrade their bikes to go faster than manufactured.
But at least when they are educated of the danger they present to themselves & others, maybe they would re-evaluate before taking too much risk while riding.

Meanwhile, I still think parents should also be held accountable when their child is caught breaking traffic laws, causing accidents on high-seed e-bikes. If they can afford high cost, high speed e-bikes to for their children, they can also afford higher (x5 or x10) auto insurance premiums.

Originally Posted by 2old
A BIG +1 with the above. The difference with these >750w, 35 mph - 100 mph (There's an individual on ES who achieved 110 mph or so in the quarter mile on his "e-bike") behemoths is they are illegal on all roads, trails and bike paths with the possible exception of a few off road trails for Jeep-type vehicles, and are a prominent threat to the legal e-bike community.
One individual on ES who achieved 110 mph.. can you specify the name of this person?
or provide a link to the discussion?
How was the speed recorded?
Where was it done?
Under what conditions?
Did the e-bike have functional pedals that propel the bike?
Do we need laws to be created to regulate all folks on ebikes just because of one person who achieved 110 mph?

Last edited by cat0020; 08-15-23 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-15-23, 10:41 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Just to be clear, I'm not particularly interested in a debate about illegal ebikes. We have always deleted discussions of motorcycles of any type on this forum. I'm just pointing out that motorcycles are off topic for the entire forum, and I might chose to delete posts about electric motorcycles.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-15-23, 10:53 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Just to be clear, I'm not particularly interested in a debate about illegal ebikes. We have always deleted discussions of motorcycles of any type on this forum. I'm just pointing out that motorcycles are off topic for the entire forum, and I might chose to delete posts about electric motorcycles.
All bikes in this thread has pedals that function to propel, none are motorcycle that don't have functional pedals.
As I said before: legal or not, reality is that there will always be riders who wants to ride faster.
You can regulate everyone with more and more restrictions, doesn't stop manufacturers or consumers that want faster bikes.

Last edited by cat0020; 08-15-23 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-15-23, 10:26 PM
2old

That's fine since I don't read his posts and don't care about the drivel he writes. My points were related to what might be the outcome of these illegal behemoths in socal.
Old 08-16-23, 06:39 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

That's fine since I don't read his posts and don't care about the drivel he writes. My points were related to what might be the outcome of these illegal behemoths in socal.
You seem to make this personal, you don't read my posts but care enough to post in this thread?
Your points are irrelevant when you choose to ignore the reality about human nature, regardless of laws or location.
You made claims about someone put together a high speed moped, but can't offer any details.
You made claims about your friend operated a thriving moped shop, but can't offer any details.
Seems to me, the points you made are just made up stories without any details nor evidence.
And you're a BIG +1 for getting rid of this thread for healthy discussions?
What do you contribute to the discussion really?
Old 09-18-23, 09:55 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Why more high-end bike companies are making budget-level electric bikes

https://electrek.co/2023/09/18/why-m...lectric-bikes/

Because they offer higher profit margin? more volume in sales?
Old 09-27-23, 10:41 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Velotric Go electric utility bike review: A smaller cargo e-bike for heavy hauling that’s light on price

https://electrek.co/2023/09/27/velot...y-bike-review/

Likes For cat0020:
Old 03-01-24, 07:05 PM
tesla_exp

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
i don't think they are UL certified, if you get it directly from china
Likes For tesla_exp:
Old 03-02-24, 09:12 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Part of the reason they cost 30-40% less when purchased directly from manufacturers, cut out the middle man.

Last edited by cat0020; 03-02-24 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-02-24, 02:58 PM
2old

Originally Posted by tesla_exp
Good point; counterfeit tags are easy to manufacture and cheap.
Old 03-11-24, 08:21 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by tesla_exp
That's not a good assumption, as UL has several offices and labs in China.

Good point; counterfeit tags are easy to manufacture and cheap.
I disagree. For categories of products that are found to be at high risk of counterfeiting, UL requires hologram labels, which are not cheap & easy to manufacture. SGS probably does the same. They also are aggressive at prosecuting. When I was at UL, I've heard of entire containers of counterfeit products being destroyed, rather than allowing them to go back and be shipped again illegally. (UL works with US Customs)
Likes For Smaug1:
Old 03-11-24, 10:18 AM
2old

It may be difficult to produce an exact replica, but how many people know the difference, and how much policing is being done? You can yak as much as you want, but I've seen too many instances of counterfeiting. It's like the bikes that are below the 750w maximum if you designate them for "off road" use only or have 250w stickers on their motors. Wink, wink.
Likes For 2old:
Old 04-24-24, 04:52 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

I went to China to witness the secrets of micromobility factories. Here’s what’s coming

https://electrek.co/2024/04/24/i-wen...-whats-coming/
Old 04-26-24, 12:56 AM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
I went to China to witness the secrets of micromobility factories. Here’s what’s coming

https://electrek.co/2024/04/24/i-wen...-whats-coming/
You're Micah?
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 04-26-24, 07:02 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

No, I'm not Micah. It's just the title of the article.
I have been to China many ties though,
enough times to determine their manufacturing process are not as most American thought they'd be.
Old 04-26-24, 10:24 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Yadea factory tour: The surprises I found at the world’s largest electric vehicle maker

https://electrek.co/2024/04/25/yadea...vehicle-maker/