Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

What can I do with this frame?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-16, 06:48 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts

Hello,

A colleague of mine gave me a frame he told me has been sitting in his home for years. As you can see in the pictures, it is completely covered in rust. Also, he said it wasn't completed so it might be missing some details. From looking at it, it seems like the dropouts still need to be brazed and maybe the seatstays, although I am not sure about the latter.

I am guessing that the rust could be taken care of when the frame gets sandblasted before powder coating, does that sound appropriate? How about the inside of the tubes, how do I remove that rust? I am also guessing that the parts that need to be brazed would need to be cleaned before doing so, does any of you have any recommendations on how to go about it? Thanks for the help, look forward to your replies.

Old 10-19-16, 07:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
This was probably a nice frame. Based on some of the details, I suspect it's likely built of Reynolds or Columbus tubing.

So there's a catch-22 here.

OTOneH - it would be a nice save
OTOtherH - the thinner the tube wall, the greater percentage of structural loss to the same amount of rust.

Looking at the apparent extent of the rust,m I'd call it scrap metal. But you have it in your hands and might do some spot sanding in various areas to get an idea of that actual rust damage before chucking it.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-19-16, 08:02 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Did your friend do the building, then set it aside before finishing? If so can he confirm the state of completion? Does he know the tubing spec? An experienced guy (or gal) can tell a lot about the tubing wall thickness when actually handling the frame, how it warms to the touch, how it sounds when it's tapped. This person should also be able to tell if the brazing is complete, or not.

If it were mine I would spring for the $50 (or so) and get it cleaned off. Then i'd do a reassessment WRT the brazing, the wall thickness and if possible the insides too. There are compounds that you can soak the frame in that will pretty much halt and prevent any significant future rust. But these are only done if the other aspects are in order first. I would also do an alignment check. Only after these steps all pointed in the same and positive direction would I spring for the $100+ to powder coat it.

While the photos are pretty fuzzy and really don't show much detail what I d see is a lot of brass filler, no silver by my eyes. This suggests a production bike, not a hand made/one off bike. But some builders do use brass as much as possible, it's just not the American way and not what I've experienced in the few classes and building shops I've been in.

If you're going to toss it out I'll take it and do what I mentioned. Andy.
Old 10-20-16, 05:52 AM
busdriver1959

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Do a search for Oxalic Acid. The folks over a C&V seem to get great results with it. They will put some in a plastic baby pool and soak until the rust is gone. Cost for the baby pool plus OA, about $10-15.
Old 10-20-16, 06:50 AM
PepeM

He didn't build the frame. The story is that he got it from someone else as payment for some money owed. My friend intended to finish it but never actually got to it (he can machine, weld, etc., but not a frame builder) and you know how those things go. He does not know the tubing spec unfortunately. It is supposed to be a custom, not production, frame but can't tell for sure obviously.

I am thinking it might be a good idea to take it to one of the local framebuilders for assessment. I guess they can tell me whether the frame is salvageable or not and what would it take to get it in good shape for completion. Also, I have access to lots of equipment, including sandblasting and powder coating equipment. Would sandblasting be better to clean it off or is it better to go the chemical way?

Sorry about the poor images, taken with a cheap phone. Might try to borrow a camera and get some better ones.

Btw, it seems to have 126mm rear spacing and 1in headtube, so I am guessing it is pretty old.
Old 10-20-16, 11:04 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
taking it to a framebuilder is a good idea. "Not finished" spans from just not painted to totally dangerous. I would also want to know something about who built it. It looks competently made, but who knows? Most people with any experience don't stop building until a frame is finished.
Old 10-23-16, 11:15 AM
PepeM

Took it to the framebuilder yesterday. He said it is definitely salvageable. Needs the dropouts and seatstay bridge brazed, and he mentioned something about the bottom bracket which I can't recall. He said it would be something like $200 to get it ready to go so
i just left it with him. Thanks all for the replies.
Old 01-25-17, 02:02 PM
PepeM

Looking a bit better now:

Old 01-25-17, 02:46 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Looks nice!
Old 01-25-17, 02:53 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Wow, that was fast turnaround. While he was working on it, did you have him spread the rear triangle to 130, or are you going to run with it at 126?
Old 01-25-17, 03:04 PM
PepeM

He spread it to 130. Really looking forward to riding it this weekend.
Old 01-25-17, 03:05 PM
PepeM

Columbus tubing, double-butted, apparently.
Old 01-26-17, 09:34 PM
PepeM

Done.

Old 01-27-17, 06:19 AM
himespau 

Nice. What saddle is that?
Old 01-27-17, 02:38 PM
PepeM

Thanks. It is a Selle Italia SLR. They call the particular model Nubuk I believe.
Old 02-15-17, 09:34 AM
himespau 

I'm assuming you've had a chance to ride it now. Do you like it?