Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Pub 51

Old 04-01-13, 06:32 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
(moved to Pub51 by yours truly)

Cat Needs a New Home:

One o’clock in the morning bedroom door-scratching, two o’clock in the morning door-scratching, three o’clock in the morning door-scratching, scamper across the bedroom floor to escape from your bareass chasing self cuz he knows you’re pissed off-ing, getting tackled just short of under the bed-ing, getting his annoying self literally thrown in the utility room-ing, lazy good for nothing housecat.

Old 04-02-13, 09:04 AM
Steve Sawyer

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Seceur Elite, Soma ES custom build

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
lazy good for nothing housecat.
Hey, try a geriatric 25-lb dog that decided that she's going to live out her golden years proving the old adage that where the dog wants to be is the other side of the door. Wouldn't be so bad except she's so old that leaving her free to wander the house at night gives her an opportunity to find the few rugs on the hardwood floors to pee on (and which we discover when walking down the hall in our bare feet!!

The wife just left home for a week-long conference in Orlando, and said (with more than a little bit of a hopeful not in her voice) "if the dog needs to be put down while I'm gone, you don't need to ask my permission or tell me about it until I get home."
Old 04-02-13, 09:49 AM
Steve Sawyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey - I figure this is as good a place as any to throw this out for suggestions...

Ever since taking my wife to Maui for our 20th anniversary, she has been intent on taking our two grown sons and our hope-to-be-eventually daughter-in-law on a vacation. Late spring to autumn of 2014 should be a good time, as the 43-year-old bachelor doesn't look like he'll be changing that status in the foreseeable future, the 22-year-old and the hoped-for daughter-in-law don't yet have a family or serious career obligations, and she will be graduating from U of M next April.

So we're trying to figure out where to go. Things we've discussed so far:
  • A Grand Tour road trip through some western national parks, including some hiking and maybe some mountain biking
  • Snorkeling, sailing and such in some place like Key West
  • River rafting on a western river, though the 21-year old (an Eagle Scout and assistant scoutmaster) scoffed at the tours where you're just a passenger
  • A visit to some Central- and/or South-American archaeological sites - the wife is particularly interested in Machu Picchu, and my son went to Mexico on a mission trip once and was appalled that no-one wanted to visit any Aztec or Mayan sites...
  • All five of us are museum freaks, so any concentration of cultural/scientific/historical institutions would be a big draw. The younger son and GF visited London over the Christmas holidays last year and tried to take in all the local museums during the 5 days they were there (they failed, but had a good time nonetheless).
  • Marcy went to Barcelona as a guest of her father several years ago, loved it, and would like to take us all back there

We're all in reasonably good shape. The youth of the younger son & GF kinda speaks for itself. The older son lives in Portland Oregon, and commutes frequently by bike. Marcy, my wife is kinda the physical weak link - she'll join me for the occasional 25-mile tour ride, but she considers coasting as a perfectly acceptable way to cover ground on a bike, considers the stops at various shops, gardens and interesting venues the best part of the ride, and hasn't been near a gym in years! That said, she's usually up for moderate exercise, has done some pretty good day-hikes with me on Maui and the Smokey Mountains, but she's no athlete. If it was solely up to me, one of those bike tours through northern Italy would be just the ticket - ride about 50 miles each day, stuff myself with vino and italian food every night - what more could I ask for?

So anyway, anyone have any ideas for something that a diverse group such as my extended family would enjoy?

Thanks!
Old 04-02-13, 09:57 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

I loves SW Utah. There are some GREAT national parks there, including my favorite ... Zion.

1. No snorkeling, but a walk up the Virgin River Canyon is great.
2. We spent a day in nearby (and cheap) Laughlin, riding personal watercraft. That was a blast.
3. You can river raft down the Grand Canyon ... kinda dangerous really, so the 21 year old wouldn't scoff.
4. Archaeological sites? Lot of Anasazi (or ancestral Pueblan) sites in the area.

And need I say ... great biking and hiking:

From the incredible hike to Angel's Landing ... That little road down there is closed to cars:

Old 04-02-13, 10:09 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
(moved to Pub51 by yours truly)

lazy good for nothing housecat.
Good thing you weren't dropping acid.

Old 04-02-13, 10:22 AM
Dudelsack 

Or bad hooch:

Old 04-02-13, 02:56 PM
Steve Sawyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I loves SW Utah. There are some GREAT national parks there, including my favorite ... Zion.

2. We spent a day in nearby (and cheap) Laughlin, riding personal watercraft. That was a blast.
3. You can river raft down the Grand Canyon ... kinda dangerous really, so the 21 year old wouldn't scoff.
4. Archaeological sites? Lot of Anasazi (or ancestral Pueblan) sites in the area.

And need I say ... great biking and hiking
Thanks - good suggestion. The neat thing about that kind of place, is that I'd imagine you can kinda set up a base and find a dozen day-trip things to do. Would I be correct in guessing that there are local places that rent bikes?

I remember when the 21-year-old was about 9 or so, and we hiked up a winding trail to the top of a mesa somewhere in Arizona. We looked out across the beautiful scenery, sat and enjoyed the breeze that was somewhat cooler than it was at the bottom, drank some water, rested up a bit and headed back down. The little guy was incensed!! "You mean we climbed all the way up here to just go back down?!?!?!"

Kids just don't know what's good livin'
Old 04-03-13, 07:28 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 930 Posts

And need I say ... great biking and hiking:

From the incredible hike to Angel's Landing ... That little road down there is closed to cars:
Great pix! I haven't been to Zion in years.
Old 04-03-13, 09:05 AM
dalameda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on Southern Utah. Arches is my personal favorite, great road riding through the park as well as mtb riding in surrounding areas. But between Arches, Canyonlands, Zion Bryce and a few others you would have plenty of hiking, riding, exploration, etc. for months!
Old 04-03-13, 09:12 AM
Shamrock

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
A vacation on my bucket list is rent a house boat on a large lake.Fishin,swimin ,grillin.My cousin does this, I asked him don't you worry about bumpin into another boat when you drift at night.He said you never saw a lake in Kentucky have you.Needless to say our NJ lakes are small and crowded.
Old 04-03-13, 09:32 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
I love living in the desert SW. The Virgin River area, Bryce and Zion are awesome. If you enjoy indian artifacts, have you heard of the Sloan Canyon Petroglyphs south of Las Vegas?

https://www.birdandhike.com/Hike/Sloa...anCynPetro.htm

I like hiking (no biking permitted at this time) and taking pictures and trying to imagine why people would scrawl on rocks in such a way. My guess it that the hunters were bragging to the women about how many antelope and big horned sheep they bagged.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.

Last edited by Daspydyr; 04-03-13 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-03-13, 09:33 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
That square dancing thing looks exhausting. How long does it take to build up that king of stamina?
Old 04-03-13, 09:43 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Shamrock
A vacation on my bucket list is rent a house boat on a large lake.Fishin,swimin ,grillin.My cousin does this, I asked him don't you worry about bumpin into another boat when you drift at night.He said you never saw a lake in Kentucky have you.Needless to say our NJ lakes are small and crowded.
I once delivered a 33' sailboat from Lake Ontario in New York to Long Island Sound. I was very surprised at the extent of New York's waterway system and I grew up in N.Y. I believe the Finger Lakes are all interconnected with canals and everything is connected to the Eire Canal. At the time I thought one could spend a whole summer on a rented house boat exploring the waterways and the local winerys.
Old 04-03-13, 10:21 AM
Shamrock

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
You mean you trucked it or sailed it? Because my friend sailed that route.He asked me to go with him but my kids were small and the wife said something like Yea right!He kept looking for someone to help man the boat.He found a couple from Vermont to sail with him.A barge cut loose at the end of the journey somewhere in or off the coast of NJ.The barge hits the sailboat and the couple gets tossed into the drink.They go under the barge and had a hard time surfacing.Local boaters saw and helped out.They came out cut up from barnacles and lungs with water.They survived but this made national news.The couple were not married to each other.Their spouses found out from the news and this they did not survive.
Old 04-03-13, 10:37 AM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
"Your sins will find you out." Funny how some things come to light, er I guess it wasn't funny to them-BUT hey, this is the pub!

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 04-03-13, 01:50 PM
jdon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Can I suggest something foreign? Shuswap Lake near Salmon Arm in British Columbia is an excellent location for just such a trip.
Old 04-03-13, 05:37 PM
Shamrock

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Or bad hooch:

This cat stuff gives me the creeps!
Old 04-06-13, 06:27 PM
Dudelsack 

Every time I walk into the living room, the Cards start to tank. When I'm in the kitchen, they go nuts. Right now I'm banished to the kitchen, with a glass of cheap Muscato, for the good of the team.

Old 04-06-13, 06:28 PM
Dudelsack 

This cat stuff gives me the creeps!
The whole video is worse.

Old 04-09-13, 07:51 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Every time I walk into the living room, the Cards start to tank. When I'm in the kitchen, they go nuts. Right now I'm banished to the kitchen, with a glass of cheap Muscato, for the good of the team.
Not looking good for the lady Cardinals right now. You in your living room?
Old 04-10-13, 01:14 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Hey I skipped the first 10 pages - 'Pub 51' - where the heck is the beer around here.
I like English pubs.
Not so much in USA.
People talk to each other more in English pubs.
Old 04-10-13, 07:33 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Hey I skipped the first 10 pages - 'Pub 51' - where the heck is the beer around here.
I like English pubs.
Not so much in USA.
People talk to each other more in English pubs.
Did you look in your fridge? Help yourself...............
Old 04-16-13, 07:32 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

The whole video is worse.

Damn ... that really is creepy.

In other news, the damn cat got in a scrape with something or other, and is missing a quarter-sized hunk of skin and fur on his face.

Stupid cat.

Old 04-19-13, 04:28 PM
Rltot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't participate often, but feel I must this time. How many ways can we invent the wheel and why? I agree with Nos and most times do. If people don't like what is being said they don't have to participate. This is the 50+ forum maybe we should act our ages and almost behave? Ok.... now I will go back to my undergrowth and remain quiet.
Old 04-19-13, 05:55 PM
Steve Sawyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rltot
I agree with Nos and most times do.
Bein' new 'round here, I didn't jump in with an opinion on this right off, and needed to think about it a bit - and see what happens here.

I know that Pub 51 was started to solve a "problem". However, one of the values of any online forum is the legacy of knowledge it represents. Amongst the chit-chat and banter are very good discussions on many aspects of whatever endeavor in which the forum members are engaged. Threads that stay reasonably on-topic and are appropriately titled serve as a repository of a great deal of thought and experience. Pub 51, because it is multi-threaded and topic-independent becomes a semi-public bulletin board, similar to twitter.

What need we're looking to fill as a community and for the operators of this forum should determine whether Pub 51 is of value or not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.