Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Saddle competition! Brooks Colt vs Selle Italia Turbo vs Selle Italia Flite Classic

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Saddle competition! Brooks Colt vs Selle Italia Turbo vs Selle Italia Flite Classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 11:03 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Ask your ass, not the Internet.
+1, I wont be riding your bike, you will ..

Brooks Professional or The Selle Italia Turbo and the San Marco Rolls fall into a similar category for My Posterior.
Old 06-18-15, 11:10 AM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Are you really choosing a saddle based on how it looks? Best of luck with that.
Saddles have never been that big a deal to me. Now I prefaced my comments, a post or two before yours, that everything I wrote, "Now, assuming that the OP will be comfortable on any saddle, then I prefer this visual "weight" to a slimmer look."

So, I turned the subject to style based on a huge assumption. From the appearance of things you leaped before you looked. And brought your groupies with you.

Last edited by cale; 06-18-15 at 09:08 PM. Reason: correct quote
Old 06-18-15, 11:18 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by cale

Sorry dude but that saddle just looks out of place.
Either that or the basket and handlebars are out of place.

A Brooks B-66 would look good on there.
Old 06-18-15, 11:40 AM
motrheadsroadie

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
no, a springer boat anchor saddle would not look good on my bike.
Old 06-18-15, 11:44 AM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
+1, I wont be riding your bike, you will ..

Brooks Professional or The Selle Italia Turbo and the San Marco Rolls fall into a similar category for My Posterior.
I think I am in love with all the San Marco saddles, I wish I could own and try each one, but I simply cannot. The rolls looks superb with the gold, which I now have gold all over my bike and it would match nice. If only it came in more color variations with a red tone like my current saddle then I would be set on it. I am pretty set on getting the brooks, but it does rain and snow about half the year here. I am wondering if it would be okay to ride around with a seat cover on not so nice days or would I slide around too much?

Last edited by Wallonthefloor; 06-18-15 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-18-15, 12:09 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by motrheadsroadie
the only thing a brooks saddle looks good on is a trashcan.
Good ol' RBI

This Brooks Pro looks good on my Paramount
Old 06-18-15, 12:16 PM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Wallonthefloor
I think I am in love with all the San Marco saddles, I wish I could own and try each one, but I simply cannot. The rolls looks superb with the gold, which I now have gold all over my bike and it would match nice. If only it came in more color variations with a red tone like my current saddle then I would be set on it. I am pretty set on getting the brooks, but it does rain and snow about half the year here. I am wondering if it would be okay to ride around with a seat cover on not so nice days or would I slide around too much?
I've ridden with a (Brooks) seat cover on, it's fine. Not slidy. Plastic bags are pretty slippery. Make sure you have fenders though, as a seat cover does nothing for road spray. Also, IME, in really soggy conditions your seat gets pretty soaked anyway. I wouldn't run a nice leather saddle on a bike that gets ridden in the rain regularly.

The Rolls came in an absolute tonne of variations over the years, if you search ebay you may find one in the red tones you're looking for.

edit: That's a sweet looking trashcan hairnet.
Old 06-18-15, 12:21 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
Saddles have never been that big a deal to me. Now I prefaced my comments, a post or two before yours, that everything I wrote, "Now, assuming that the OP will be comfortable on any saddle, then I prefer this visual "weight" to a slimmer look."

So, I turned the subject to style based on a huge assumption. From the appearance of things you leaped before you looked. And brought your groupies with you.
My response to TMonk's (quoted) comment had absolutely nothing to do with anything you said,

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-20-15 at 05:05 AM. Reason: name calling removed.
Old 06-18-15, 12:53 PM
Wallonthefloor

Originally Posted by tashi
I've ridden with a (Brooks) seat cover on, it's fine. Not slidy. Plastic bags are pretty slippery. Make sure you have fenders though, as a seat cover does nothing for road spray. Also, IME, in really soggy conditions your seat gets pretty soaked anyway. I wouldn't run a nice leather saddle on a bike that gets ridden in the rain regularly.

The Rolls came in an absolute tonne of variations over the years, if you search ebay you may find one in the red tones you're looking for.

edit: That's a sweet looking trashcan hairnet.
Once I put the Brooks on, it will primarily be my nice weather bike. That doesn't mean I wont get caught in any surprise storms though.
Old 06-18-15, 12:56 PM
tashi

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
I've drenched my Brooks Pro Alpe d'Huez edition a handful of times, it's been fine. Got a little dry after, but a coat of Sno-Seal sorted it right out.
Old 06-18-15, 02:20 PM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I've used the Brooks B-17 for a year giving it ample time to break in, a Turbo and Selle Marcos Rolls and hated them all. Look cool but a literal pain in my ass.

Favorite saddles are cheap WTBs and now a Nashbar copy of a Fizik Arione.

Buy what looks cool but your ass will let you know if it doesn't agree.
Old 06-18-15, 02:56 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The Brooks cover is great. We deal with a humid subtropical climate here which destroys leather saddles. Couple years ago I got a Selle Anatomica for randonneuring. Excellent ride quality but the thing was stretching rapidly, despite the manufacturer's assurance of it being waterproof, even with application of saddle sauce. It was going to be ruined within another rainy brevet or two, so I got a Brooks cover from the LBS. Since then no more stretching, and no difference in ride quality over thousands of K's, you don't even notice it's there when you're sitting on it.
Old 06-18-15, 06:01 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jlafitte
The Brooks cover is great. We deal with a humid subtropical climate here which destroys leather saddles. Couple years ago I got a Selle Anatomica for randonneuring. Excellent ride quality but the thing was stretching rapidly, despite the manufacturer's assurance of it being waterproof, even with application of saddle sauce. It was going to be ruined within another rainy brevet or two, so I got a Brooks cover from the LBS. Since then no more stretching, and no difference in ride quality over thousands of K's, you don't even notice it's there when you're sitting on it.
Every Selle Anatomica I have seen and felt was saggy stretchy. Brooks come hard and should retain their shape.
Old 06-18-15, 07:25 PM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My response to TMonk's (quoted) comment had absolutely nothing to do with anything you said
You're confused. I'm sorry, back to rest now.

You're right I referenced the wrong quote, now changed, but it matters not.

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-21-15 at 06:48 PM. Reason: clean up
Old 06-19-15, 06:57 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Every Selle Anatomica I have seen and felt was saggy stretchy. Brooks come hard and should retain their shape.
Yeah it's the slot that does that, allowing the saddle to move with your sit bones. Some like it, some don't. For me the saddle perfect except for the creaky noise the leather makes at higher cadence.

Fun fact - for a while you could send your Brooks to Selle Anatomica to get a slot cut in it, then Brooks started doing it themselves.
Old 06-19-15, 09:58 PM
Wallonthefloor

So the day that I got the Brooks I had to go to work. I went to get some grub first and noticed the sky started looking dark out of nowhere (my weather app did not predict this.) After I ate and went along my way to work then came the rain. I probably should have went to work early and skipped that meal because I did not have fenders. So I stopped to put the seat cover on that it came with, hoped for the best and then I got quite drenched during the ~3 miles in the rain on my way to work. On one side of my saddle where my sit bones go there was a noticeable dark spot about 2-3 inches long and an inch wide.. so it indeed got wet on it's very first ride. The shop did not tell me anything about poofide and that I should have put that on first to weatherproof the bottom of the saddle. I am quite upset because I think it may be somewhat ruined since I can feel a depression in the leather bulging underneath the saddle. I have not rode on it since, I got a ride home since it was raining and tried to let it dry until next morning. The spot faded somewhat by morning and felt dry to the touch so I added poofide to the bottom of the saddle and a very miniscule amount of it to the top. I am afraid that maybe this is further damage because my shoes and gloves from the day before were also still not completely dry and I was impatient by putting poofide on the saddle while it may have still been wet? I see a few extra prominent cracks in the discolored area of the depression. My girlfriend is trying to assure me that it is fine but I am still very worried.

How can I make this spot go away??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
150620_002.jpg (56.1 KB, 139 views)
150620_001.jpg (62.1 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by Wallonthefloor; 06-19-15 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 10:02 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Why do people think leather saddles are so fragile?

Motorcycle jackets, combat boots and horse saddles don't fall apart in the rain and neither will your Brooks saddle.
Old 06-19-15, 10:38 PM
Nagrom_
Fixie Infamous

Bikes: 2007 CAAD Optimo Track, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10, 1996 GT Force restomod, 2015 Cannondale CAADX

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
People also doesn't realize how much your ass sweats.

Your saddles aren't dry.
Old 06-19-15, 11:52 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

How can I make this spot go away??
You don't.

It's a bike seat. Ride your bike.
Old 06-20-15, 12:20 AM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
You won't see any spots while riding your bike. I promise.
Old 06-20-15, 12:35 AM
Wallonthefloor

You don't.

It's a bike seat. Ride your bike.
I kind of figured that riding it more would change its appearance. Just like riding a bike with a chain that got wet and rusted overnight, riding it makes the rust go away alone although lubing it first isnt a bad idea though either. So I kind of just want to know if there is any "quick fix" and further down the line the best ways to keep my saddle in its best shape.

the sunshine before the rain
Attached Images
150618_011.jpg (101.7 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by Wallonthefloor; 06-20-15 at 12:41 AM.
Old 06-20-15, 05:44 AM
hardboiled718

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Is that a carbon fiber pattern top tube pad?
Old 06-20-15, 07:17 AM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Riding the saddle 15 minutes in a downpour will probably not overstretch it. Riding the saddle 15 hours in a downpour will probably overstretch it.
Old 06-20-15, 09:34 AM
cDiff Notorious

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Schwinn Madison

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought a Brooks Swift saddle a month ago and my ass loved it right away. I didn't feel like it needed some break in as it was more comfortable than my stock Wabi saddle. I just applied some proofide and rode away. The saddle came with the wrench, rain cover, and proofide. I never really worried about the saddle getting wet since my ass sits on it and the saddle bag that I use covers most of the underside. If anything just get a fender and apply some proofide every 6 months.
Old 06-20-15, 11:07 AM
cale

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Why do people think leather saddles are so fragile?

Motorcycle jackets, combat boots and horse saddles don't fall apart in the rain and neither will your Brooks saddle.

Right because motorcycle jackets, combat boots and horse saddles are made EXACTLY LIKE a bicycle saddle. Wait a moment while I finish my cereal with my LEATHER spoon. Haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.