Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What is a rim base protective flap?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-17, 03:13 PM
Calla lily

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

A few weeks ago I installed some 28mm tires on my vaya stock rims (WTB i19 TCS) and today I saw this on the WTB site: "All WTB Rims are Crotchet-Type. When inflation pressures over 72 psi / (5-bar) are used, appropriate rim base protective flap must be fitted." The new tires are inflated over 72 psi and the old ones had a max of 65 psi so I don't know if the rims have these protective flaps. Google isn't helping and the only information I get is the quote from the wtb page https://www.wtb.com/pages/wheels. Is it the same as rim tape, which is on the rims?
Old 04-29-17, 04:37 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The Rim strip on the wheels by default, is probably cheap plastic. (usually a transparent-ish yellow thing)
when going to higher PSI, you need to use Velox, a woven fabric webbing type rim strip.
plastic stretches, the fabric doesn't.

and what is a 'Crochet' type rim? don't they mean 'hooked bead'?
its like the website is being read through a Bad Google Translation.
Old 04-29-17, 04:41 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Calla lily
A few weeks ago I installed some 28mm tires on my vaya stock rims (WTB i19 TCS) and today I saw this on the WTB site: "All WTB Rims are Crotchet-Type. When inflation pressures over 72 psi / (5-bar) are used, appropriate rim base protective flap must be fitted." The new tires are inflated over 72 psi and the old ones had a max of 65 psi so I don't know if the rims have these protective flaps. Google isn't helping and the only information I get is the quote from the wtb page https://www.wtb.com/pages/wheels. Is it the same as rim tape, which is on the rims?
Just curious, what did the people at WTB say when you asked them?
Old 04-29-17, 05:00 PM
Calla lily

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Just curious, what did the people at WTB say when you asked them?
Didn't think of that. Email sent to them now.
Old 04-30-17, 06:29 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
and what is a 'Crochet' type rim? don't they mean 'hooked bead'?
its like the website is being read through a Bad Google Translation.
Bad translation: That's what I was thinking too. From the context I'd GUESS they are referring to hook bead rims but I really don't know for sure. FWIW, 70psi is about the maximum for straight sided rims.
Old 04-30-17, 07:07 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
A 'crotchet type' rim is a rim with a hooked bead.

I don't know what 'flap' they're referring to, but you'll be fine so long as you're using hooked-bead tires and an appropriate rim strip or tape.
Old 05-03-17, 05:39 AM
Calla lily

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
If anyone cares, I heard back from WTB. The flap is "some fancy legal talk" for rim tape. Which I figured it was.

I have heard the term crochet-type rim before (which they misspelled). As someone who crochets, that makes sense to me, since you use a crochet hook (which is funny since crochet translates to hook).
Old 05-03-17, 06:07 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I have heard the term crochet-type rim before (which they misspelled). As someone who crochets, that makes sense to me, since you use a crochet hook (which is funny since crochet translates to hook).
'Crotchet' is not a misspelling. It's an archaic word that means hook. It's closely related to the word 'crochet', although the two words are pronounced differently.

Entry for 'crotchet' in the Merriam-Webster dictionary
Old 05-03-17, 06:36 AM
IrishBrewer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Funny how they equate nonstandard terms as "fancy legal talk" when such can add to confusion on the part of the consumer and thus lead to issues associated with the use of the component.
Old 05-03-17, 06:59 AM
Calla lily

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
'Crotchet' is not a misspelling. It's an archaic word that means hook. It's closely related to the word 'crochet', although the two words are pronounced differently.
Thanks

Funny how they equate nonstandard terms as "fancy legal talk" when such can add to confusion on the part of the consumer and thus lead to issues associated with the use of the component.
I agree. I've got the tire that fits my rim, tube, rim tape. I'm good to go. Then I saw the note on the site and was like, huh? I had already ridden a couple hundred miles on the tires before seeing that. The front tire has a slight wobble (I've triple checked that it's seated correctly and the tube isn't pinched, remounted it and checked again), so when I saw that I thought maybe I was missing something. I believe the tire (or tube?) may have a defect but I'm done thinking about it.
Old 05-03-17, 08:28 AM
IrishBrewer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The front tire has a slight wobble (I've triple checked that it's seated correctly and the tube isn't pinched, remounted it and checked again), so when I saw that I thought maybe I was missing something. I believe the tire (or tube?) may have a defect but I'm done thinking about it.
Is the wheel true? Is there play in the bearings? You can check for slight bulging in a tire in a similar way that you would check a rim for truing.