Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Why do people want 1x???

Old 01-04-18, 10:53 AM
Troy Winter
flyover

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Lemans RS, 1994 Trek 930, All-city Machoman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 4 Posts
My Sram Rival front derailleur switches the chain from the big sprocket to the little sprocket and back when I "tell" it to. What else is it supposed to do? Why do people say they don't work? What am I missing?
Old 01-04-18, 11:21 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Winter
My Sram Rival front derailleur switches the chain from the big sprocket to the little sprocket and back when I "tell" it to. What else is it supposed to do? Why do people say they don't work? What am I missing?
that these guys wrench on their own bikes when they shouldn't be.
Old 01-04-18, 11:36 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10898 Post(s)
Liked 7,387 Times in 4,146 Posts
Friction front shifting via Gevenalle. Its fast, its accurate, its infinitely trimmable. 0 dropped chains. 0 fuss. 0 chain grinding. 0 maintenance.
I never knew front derailleurs on road bikes(which gravel bikes are) was such an issue that a nuclear option like 1x was needed to correct the issue.

On MTBs- 1x makes sense. I spend most my time in 1 ring on my MTB.
Old 01-04-18, 11:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
The new Shimano 8000 style front derailleurs are also amazing.
Any chance you know if the 8000 works back compatible with 6800 STI shifters and 6800 cranksets? I read 8000 has different stops in the movement due to 8000 cranks having wider ring spacing. All this is because of disc brakes, apparently.
I would figure that new ring spacing means derailleurs with different stop positions, but havent seen this confirmed.
Old 01-04-18, 11:49 AM
Facanh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

On MTBs- 1x makes sense. I spend most my time in 1 ring on my MTB.
I did that on my 39-52 crankset too. I basically never used the big ring.

In my opinion shifting at the front is a bit more cumbersome than shifting at the back but it's not a big problem at all. 1x is simply nicer to use to me. That's about it. I know it sounds dumb but I simply have more fun on my bike with a 1x.

I think 1x is good as an option but some companies are forcing it which is not cool, or talking about it like it's a revolutionary thing.

Last edited by Facanh; 01-04-18 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-04-18, 12:15 PM
cobra_kai

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any chance you know if the 8000 works back compatible with 6800 STI shifters and 6800 cranksets? I read 8000 has different stops in the movement due to 8000 cranks having wider ring spacing. All this is because of disc brakes, apparently.
I would figure that new ring spacing means derailleurs with different stop positions, but havent seen this confirmed.

I am using a 9100 front derailleur with 6800 shifters and praxis rings on a rotor 3d+ crankset on my road bike, works great. The only place you have to worry about compatibility is using the 9100 or 8000 crankset with older derailleurs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
9100%20FD%20compatibility.JPG (110.6 KB, 427 views)
Old 01-04-18, 05:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
There are fashion trend/ marketing - changes in bikes , 1 by is trendy now..

My 1 by has a Rohloff hub in the back..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-06-18 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 06:31 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
my 1x MTB friends always seem to be changing their chain ring to get the right gearing. Geeze, if I want to do that I'll ride my track bike.
I did a hilly gravel ride last year with a group that included @79pmooney who rode it on his eponymous fixed gear bike. He had a nifty setup that gave him a surprising number of options for quick gear changes but also brought a chainwhip and extra cogs and stopped to change as needed based on the terrain. I passed him a lot and vice versa. He finished the ride well before I did, and I'm pretty sure I walked up more hills than he did, despite my having a 26x30 low gear.

Gearing is all about personal preferences.
Old 01-04-18, 06:33 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by TruthBomb
My SRAM road front derailleur has been as good if not better.

Old 01-04-18, 06:42 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Facanh
I simply love using 1x. Shifting at the front is not a big task but it's so nice when you get rid of it. With SRAM I do all my shifting with one lever too. That's it for me really.
I can see the appeal of this argument, but honestly I have a mental block about it. I feel like my bike is somehow awkwardly asymmetric if I don't have a shifter on both levers. I know this is entirely ridiculous, but it's the way I feel. Even in situations where I know I'm not going to need two chainrings, such as most cyclocross races, I like having multiple chainrings.

I've tried a 1x10 setup a couple of times. I used it for CX racing for a season and had a couple of problems with chain drops (the technology has gotten a lot better since then). I also tried it on a commuter bike and didn't like it. I had a range that worked for my commute, but it required a few cogs that I hardly ever used at the low end, and a bit of spinning at the high end. The high end bothered me most, because even though my top speed didn't matter at all (even to me) I just didn't like the feeling of approaching the limit where I couldn't go much faster even if I wanted to.
Old 01-04-18, 07:03 PM
Andy_K 

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
1x is not about gear range, it's about shifting. Front shifting doesn't work as well as rear shifting. Not anyone's brand, not any group. That's why the front shift is the big one and you keep away from it until you have to. Rear shifting just works. 2x is about shifting ratios. Doubles will survive as long as roadies want a corncob in the rear. I pretty much expect triples to disappear, though. The only reason they're surviving on cheaper MTB's is that the Walmart-to-$500 range is a very standard bike with very standard parts and the triple is one of them.
This really makes me sad. I love triples.

I feel like most people just don't understand the triple mindset. Or maybe it just doesn't appeal to them. I use a triple very much the way everyone else uses a 1xN setup, except I've got a couple of aces in the hole. I do almost all of my riding on the middle ring and then use the small ring as a bailout gear and the big ring when I really want to hammer. I choose my cassette for the gear range I want with the middle ring.

The "equivalent" range argument just doesn't hold water when you look at it like this. Suppose I've got a 50/39/26 crankset with an 11-34 cassette. Using just the 39T ring I've got a range from 32 to 100 gear inches, but when I hit that 32 inch gear and I need a little more help, I can drop to the small ring and go as low as 21 inches. And when I top out on the 39x11 gear and want a little more, I can pop up to the big ring and go as high as 128 inches. I've got the simplicity of a one ring setup, but I've got a LOT more range. What kind of cassette is going to give you this range with a 1x? Even 10x50 doesn't get you there, and if it did (say I'm only comparing to a 50/39/30) I'd have fully one third of my cogs used for parts of the range that I rarely use.

Long live the triple!!!
Old 01-04-18, 07:08 PM
Andy_K 

Wow. You found a picture on the internet.

That must mean that I've just been imaging the stellar shifting that I have experienced.

Thanks for clearing that up!
You do know what that picture is, right? That's someone losing the Tour de France because of a dropped chain with his SRAM system (at least until the guy who beat him got DQ'd).

In any event...

Old 01-04-18, 07:08 PM
Andy_K 

Friction front shifting via Gevenalle. Its fast, its accurate, its infinitely trimmable. 0 dropped chains. 0 fuss. 0 chain grinding. 0 maintenance.

This. +30
Old 01-04-18, 08:37 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K

Long live the triple!!!
I agree...I have bikes with triples, doubles, and singles. They all have their place. Depends on what you want to do with the bike and where you want to ride it. I would be a sad day if we had fewer choices on how to gear a bicycle.
I really don't why triples are perceived as being clunky and unnecessarily complicated. If you can wrap your head around how to operate a double, a triple isn't any more complicated. Mine have always worked flawlessly. They provide potential for more range and fewer gaps...whats not to like?
Old 01-04-18, 09:17 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Facanh
Sadly that is not always true. I just bought a Rival 1 mechanical groupset 2 months ago from bike24.

SRAM Rival 22 with brakes: 470 EUR

SRAM Rival 1 with no brakes: 470 EUR

105 5800 with brakes AND a bottom bracket: 460 EUR

And there is of course the price of the cassettes which with the XD driver start from 100 EUR...

Don't sweat it, you will find the "because SRAM can't make a front derailleur" joke in pretty much every 1x vs 2x discussion.
That's cuz it's funny and true.
Old 01-04-18, 11:47 PM
Andy_K 

If you have to explain a "joke" then...
That's OK. It was funny to me. I'm sorry if I offended you. I really didn't mean to.
Old 01-05-18, 01:25 AM
motrheadsroadie

Bikes: stinner cx, paramount track

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
clutch rear derailleurs might be innovative tech, but if you go back to the toeclip era and youll find that 1x drivetrains for cx is nothing new.

Old 01-05-18, 03:14 AM
Facanh

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can see the appeal of this argument, but honestly I have a mental block about it. I feel like my bike is somehow awkwardly asymmetric if I don't have a shifter on both levers. I know this is entirely ridiculous, but it's the way I feel. Even in situations where I know I'm not going to need two chainrings, such as most cyclocross races, I like having multiple chainrings.

I've tried a 1x10 setup a couple of times. I used it for CX racing for a season and had a couple of problems with chain drops (the technology has gotten a lot better since then). I also tried it on a commuter bike and didn't like it. I had a range that worked for my commute, but it required a few cogs that I hardly ever used at the low end, and a bit of spinning at the high end. The high end bothered me most, because even though my top speed didn't matter at all (even to me) I just didn't like the feeling of approaching the limit where I couldn't go much faster even if I wanted to.
Totally understandable. I'm the opposite, 1x feels more natural to me. You have one shifter, you can get an easier gear or a harder gear, and that's it. But we are all different.
Old 01-05-18, 05:40 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This really makes me sad. I love triples.

I feel like most people just don't understand the triple mindset. Or maybe it just doesn't appeal to them. I use a triple very much the way everyone else uses a 1xN setup, except I've got a couple of aces in the hole. I do almost all of my riding on the middle ring and then use the small ring as a bailout gear and the big ring when I really want to hammer. I choose my cassette for the gear range I want with the middle ring.

Long live the triple!!!
Originally Posted by mihlbach
I really don't why triples are perceived as being clunky and unnecessarily complicated. If you can wrap your head around how to operate a double, a triple isn't any more complicated. Mine have always worked flawlessly. They provide potential for more range and fewer gaps...whats not to like?
4 different LBSs and a Co-Op haven't been able to get my triple working adequately.

It can only ever get adjusted for using two rings. Invariably, one ring just slides the chain off like it's allergic.

No amount of trimming, or clean&lubing the chain helps.

Maybe friction shifters would work.
Old 01-05-18, 08:14 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Sullalto
4 different LBSs and a Co-Op haven't been able to get my triple working adequately.

It can only ever get adjusted for using two rings. Invariably, one ring just slides the chain off like it's allergic.

No amount of trimming, or clean&lubing the chain helps.

Maybe friction shifters would work.
Curious what your crank model and tooth counts are, what your derailleurs are, what speed and range cassette you use, and what your shifters are.

Not like itll be fixed over the internet, but I am always interested to see the setups of those who dont have triples that work. It seems many dont have proper trim options.
Old 01-05-18, 08:54 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Curious what your crank model and tooth counts are, what your derailleurs are, what speed and range cassette you use, and what your shifters are.

Not like itll be fixed over the internet, but I am always interested to see the setups of those who dont have triples that work. It seems many dont have proper trim options.
Most issues with triples is people want to cross chain small small / large large, and that doesn't work.
Or they bought a used bike. True story, my neighbor says his bike isn't shifting right. Pulls out his Leatherman and bends his FD. he also told me his front tire wasn't holding air. He tells me he checked it 8 times and every time he checked it it was lower. (using a car tire pressure gauge)
he has Shimano 50LX rapidfire, I told him he needs to keep the shifter lubed with triflow or similar. Days later he tells me he opened it and filled it with graphite powder.
His career, a mechanic... LOL! Not a bike Mechanic apparently.... hahahah
Old 01-05-18, 09:21 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
... same reason some people prefer single speed, etc.... Improved simplicity/chainlines/fewer moving parts at a cost of some gear range.
Old 01-05-18, 09:30 AM
Sullalto

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Drop bar sora shifters, sora derailleurs. The long cage rear one. FSA vero crankset.

Bike came with 11/28. It used to always be 30/39 or 39/50 would work. Now it's 30/50. Weird, right?

It has an 11/32 now.
Old 01-05-18, 10:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Sora shifters- less click trim positions than higher level STIs.
At least thats how it was a handful of years ago. Not sure if Shimano changed the design.
Old 01-05-18, 01:15 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
1x on a cyclocross bike is great...so much better than 2x, IMHO. It all has to do with dropping chains and simplicity when in a race or training for a race for me. 1x with a chain keeper up front pretty much ensures the chain won't come off when shouldering the bike, placing the bike back on the ground for a run, riding through muddy pitches while shifting. It's just way easier.

I would not like it for road. I never once had a problem with my Ultegra or etap front shifting on the road.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.