Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What's the most you'll spend on a bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-19, 08:46 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
I feel my thoughts are still evolving on something like how much would I spend, but for now, I can't see myself ever spending over AUD$10,000 as it is just too large a psychological hurdle for me to clear.

And despite nominating AUD$10,000 as a max limit, that doesn't mean I will get anywhere near that.

My most expensive complete bike purchase was AUD$1,700, but I have just built up a Surly Troll frameset into a complete bike and the total cost there would be close to AUD$3,000(In Australia a stock standard Surly Troll retails for AUD$2,400), but I acquired the various parts over a two year+ period.

In all likelihood, unless I buy an e-bike or a Surly Big Dummy, I probably won't ever spend more than AUD$3,000 for an off the shelf bike.
Old 05-13-19, 04:27 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
depends what ur gonna do with the bike if ur just gonna ride with the local club get a cheaper bike but if u spend 8000 on a carbon bike just to ride with the local bike club thats just a huge waste of money
Not if you get aero bars.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 05-13-19, 06:32 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
if weight is not a problem then you can build a really nice bike for about $500. My strategy goes like this:

buy a vintage ride with decent quality wheels and frame. Spend some time truing the wheels and get a used groupset package on ebay and you have a very nice ride.
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Yes, your builds are legendary!!
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
…However, in the real world, if I had $1500 cash around, i have other things that would get precedence over new bikes. I have a couple of very nice bikes in the stable for regular use (commuting, and the 'fast' road bike) so all of the N+1s are 'for fun only'

I don't mind used bikes, and consider myself pretty savvy at picking out decent doners for component swaps and flips; I can build a lot of bike for $300 (net)
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I feel my thoughts are still evolving on something like how much would I spend, but for now, I can't see myself ever spending over AUD$10,000 as it is just too large a psychological hurdle for me to clear.…

In all likelihood, unless I buy an e-bike or a Surly Big Dummy, I probably won't ever spend more than AUD$3,000 for an off the shelf bike.
I’m one who doesn’t have the time, facilities or inclination to build up a bike. I do wonder though, and does not seem addressed on this thread, How much do custom built bikes cost, mainly the workmanship? I presume one would involve premium frame materials, and components.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-13-19 at 07:15 AM. Reason: added subsequent quote by shelbyfv
Old 05-13-19, 06:42 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Pretty much a full 24 hours in a day.

Done that a few times!
Likes For Machka:
Old 05-13-19, 06:47 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,394 Times in 2,739 Posts
Originally Posted by Obeast
if weight is not a problem then you can build a really nice bike for about $500. My strategy goes like this:

buy a vintage ride with decent quality wheels and frame. Spend some time truing the wheels and get a used groupset package on ebay and you have a very nice ride.
Yes, your builds are legendary!!
Old 05-13-19, 07:00 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
depends what ur gonna do with the bike if ur just gonna ride with the local club get a cheaper bike but if u spend 8000 on a carbon bike just to ride with the local bike club thats just a huge waste of money
Huge waste of money?

Really?

I own and ride expensive bikes. I am old, slow, I am diabetic, have asthma and I have seven coronary stents to keep my damaged coronary arteries open.

I ride long distance and do a lot of climbing (mostly slowly).

I put four kids through private schools and college.

I bought my bikes with my own cash money, no credit cards involved.

Riding my bikes puts a huge grin on my face and helps relieve the stressors of daily life.

Could I get the same results from less expensive bikes? Probably, but why do it if I can afford the bikes that I want.

Huge waste of money? I don’t think so.

Peace out and ride safely.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 05-13-19, 07:06 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
My latest build is an Italian frame from 1979 with an orphaned 2014 Campagnolo Record groupset from a sold frame, spare set of wheels, carbon bars, and a stem from a drawer. It's currently my favorite ride and ridden more than my $4500 modern road bike.

Having said all of that, at my old age after a life of working hard and being blessed, I'll spend anything on a bike.
I am with you. At my old age, after a lifetime of hard work, why not ride what I like?

Your Gianni Mota is still one of the sexiest bikes in all of BF.
Old 05-13-19, 07:13 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Huge waste of money?

Really?

I own and ride expensive bikes. I am old, slow, I am diabetic, have asthma and I have seven coronary stents to keep my damaged coronary arteries open.

I ride long distance and do a lot of climbing (mostly slowly).

I put four kids through private schools and college.

I bought my bikes with my own cash money, no credit cards involved.

Riding my bikes puts a huge grin on my face and helps relieve the stressors of daily life.

Could I get the same results from less expensive bikes? Probably, but why do it if I can afford the bikes that I want.

Huge waste of money? I don’t think so.

Peace out and ride safely.
+10 dittoes. While my health problem is a fractured sacrum from a bike accident, I too am satisfied with my purchase and I posted earlier:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...My shopping strategy for something important is to look at the high end (expensive) models first, just to know what’s available and then whittle downwards to find what’s acceptable, the so-called sweet spot of price/value.

I’ve participated in several popcorn threads on BF about the value of “expensive” bikes (I have one), and my last word is "At least I have no buyer's remorse about what I may be missing." :innocent...
My average speed stayed the same, but I think I was hampered by injuries from the accident, and I believe the new bike compensated at least to maintain my average speed. I did note that I was more inclined to sprint (successfully) to beat traffic lights before they turned red.

I further craved the smoothness of the ride, including the shifting,making cycle-commuting more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end
Originally Posted by Rowan
Performance in this context does not mean outright speed because that is down to the person riding it and their strength and endurance.

But rather is in the quality of the shifting, braking, ride, handling through corners and over rough surfaces, aerodynamics and (dare I say it) comfort.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-13-19 at 10:03 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 05-13-19, 07:30 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
I’m one who doesn’t have the time, facilities or inclination to build up a bike. I do wonder though, and does not seem addressed on this thread, How much do custom built bikes cost, mainly the workmanship? I presume one would involve premium frame materials, and components.
Post number 25. Every aspect & component is custom & spec'd for this individual build. The paint alone was $450 additional.
Old 05-13-19, 11:23 AM
Strap26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The line changes all the time. Buy the bike that will make you happy and will keep your enjoyment of riding alive.
Old 05-13-19, 01:08 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I thought my ceiling was around $3500 but I splurged a little bit and picked up a 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert for just under $4300 all in. Carbon fiber frame and Carbon wheel set. It was on sale for 10% off and with no sales tax in Oregon it was a good buy. It's light, fast, and climbs real well. My general riding pace is between 18-21 on the flats and this bike fits the bill. I'll be turning 60 this summer so I decided if not now, when? Doing a few big rides this summer with the most difficult being the RAMROD. 10,000ft of climbing over 152 miles in one day. This will be my 5th time doing this event.

My best bike for the buck is a blue 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3. It's a carbon fiber frame with Ultegra components except the crank. Got it on a close out from Performance Bike for $1120.
Old 05-13-19, 05:23 PM
Bobjackson

Bikes: Eddy Merckx EX & Bob Jackson R:753 tubing

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
As I consider buying a new bike, I find myself in a dilemma...

Knowing the type of bike I want, and all the components that I "must" have, I have found myself thinking...Well, for just a bit more I can have this... and for only another $$$ I can get this... But if I just double that, I can have the ultimate bike of my dreams!

Where do YOU draw the line?

Knowing a thing or two about bicycles and a budget of $1,500 there are amazing deals on eBay. Recently scored a Eddie Merkex built by Lifespeed Titanium: full Campagnolo super record, the modern carbon components, eurus G3 Wheels with Pirelli P1 tires: $1,300 delivered.

Slow down do your homework the used bicycle market is soft. The ebayers are eager to sell.
Old 05-13-19, 09:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I don't really have a maximum, but my minimum for a new geared bike would be $800 and probably $600 for a SS/FG. However my main thing is getting a bike that works well for me. I am happy to spend lots of money to get the right bike. The worst is getting a cheap bike I am unhappy with just to "save" money. To be fair I probably wouldn't spend more than 20k on bike if I ever had that kind of money.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-14-19, 09:27 AM
Cl904

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Reading this and wondering if I should have spent more on my latest bike... $10 for double butted chromo frame and fork, and full Deore DX group
Old 05-14-19, 09:37 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Carbon, Di2, Hydro Disc, and clearance for 40mm are the "needs" for the N+1. So, whatever that costs.
Old 05-15-19, 01:11 PM
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
My latest bike is going to be about $10,000. It is a custom bike that is made of steel, hand carved lugs, and will have top of the line components. Of course I am an outlier on the amount of money most people spend on their bikes here on Bike Forums. I have been waiting over 18 months for it to be built so I am itching to have it completed.

My friend has 4 custom bikes at about $10,000 each. He obviously makes way more money than I do and feels that custom is the only way to go. My two other bikes Rivendell and Brompton are production bikes and are cheaper than custom.
I wonder how much I would have to make to feel comfortable spending $10k on a custom bike! Awesome though, please share pics when you get it!
Old 05-15-19, 01:17 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by IBRyan
I wonder how much I would have to make to feel comfortable spending $10k on a custom bike! Awesome though, please share pics when you get it!
$10,000 for a custom bike, with top end cmponents, is not all that much in today's rarefied market.

You don't need a big income either. There are always credit cards and some bike makers offer financing (check out the Merlin website).

My LBS tells me stories about people (no names are included) who max out their credit cards to get their "dream" bike. Kinda crazy if you ask me.
Old 05-15-19, 01:25 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Cracks me up when i see bike racks with bikes that are way more expensive than the cars in which they are attached too.

C’Mon Man
Old 05-15-19, 01:26 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Love it. Awesome. I have a Schwinn Highplains

Originally Posted by Cl904
Reading this and wondering if I should have spent more on my latest bike... $10 for double butted chromo frame and fork, and full Deore DX group
Old 05-15-19, 01:30 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Cracks me up when i see bike racks with bikes that are way more expensive than the cars in which they are attached too.

C’Mon Man
That's the rule, not the exception, at any P12 race.
Old 05-15-19, 05:14 PM
myisland

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
$300 is in my bicycle cookie jar. If I sell some more junk on eBay it will go up.
Old 05-15-19, 05:26 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
The more I get into road cycling the less I will be willing to pay for a bike.

My next bike will be used, under $1,000, steel and I will be happy with Tiagra/Deore level components.
Old 05-15-19, 05:26 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by myisland
$300 is in my bicycle cookie jar. If I sell some more junk on eBay it will go up.
And you probably ride faster than most on a 300 dollar bicycle
Old 05-15-19, 05:27 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
The more I get into road cycling the less I will be willing to pay for a bike.

My next bike will be used, under $1,000, steel and I will be happy with Tiagra/Deore level components.
this
Old 05-15-19, 05:34 PM
grayrest

Bikes: Birdy, Orbea Gain, Optima Baron, SatRDay

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Since I don't race I consider pretty much anything under 9kg to be "the same" so I thought the most I'd spend would be in the mid-$2k range. Then I read too much Bicycle Quarterly and started thinking that something like a Crust Lightning Bolt looked good and a build would be in the $3.5k range and then I saw the Orbea Gain M30 and thought that looked pretty nice but that's $4k. So my answer is now $4k but it has to be a neat frame or have a fancy electric motor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.