Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Drive bike to riding location

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-19, 05:08 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
I don't drive and one of the things I miss about that is the inability to get off the same routes and go somewhere different. Living in Southern California there is always something great in nearby driving distance.
Old 06-07-19, 06:14 PM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I drive most times. The road that my subdivision is off of is a 55mph road. I usually only have to drive 10-15 mins so it isn’t a big deal.
Old 06-07-19, 10:17 PM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I live well outside of town so I just ride from the house. There are enough paved routes that I don't get bored riding them. I switch it up and ride a bunch of the gravel roads that are nearby too.
Old 06-08-19, 06:30 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Geez

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I do, on weekends. The scenery is much better.

You interrupted a downhill to shoot a pic? Damn. That's discipline.
Old 06-08-19, 11:04 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I'm kind of the opposite. I like that it goes over the same route and what makes the variation is the wind, my fitness that day, and who shows up.
Meh, there's only one section of the entire route that's not broken up by a bunch of random turns and lights that the wind matters at all.

The route is broken up by a cross-town part of the route that totally kills it. The ride literally feels pretty much over after the first 1/2.

I wish it was like you describe, where the environment and riders could determine a good mixup.

There's 35 turns in 23 miles and probably 6 stoplights. I have a similar route I do alone that's got more hills and half the lights and 1/3 of the turns. But the big diesel boys never want to ride "hills".

We could also use the sweet few miles of rollers we ride on that route multiple times as u-turns like a hotdog crit, but nobody wants to do that either.

We really need to throw in a few leadout train town line sprints with pre-chosen groups OR find a nice section for a 3 lap crit in the middle of the ride or something. It's gotten boring. I really hate having to drive 40min each direction out of town to go get my teeth kicked in at the fastest most competitive weeknight ride. It really kills it cause I can't hang afterwards and have to head on home.
Old 06-09-19, 05:06 AM
ridey b
Ridey b

Location: Toronto and spend winter mostly in South Coast Jamaica

Bikes: Bridgestone XO4, Raleigh supercourse, Tourist, twenty,dl1,Dahon California, Jack Taylor tandem, to mention afew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
We hardly ever go riding without using a bicycle rack.
My wife feels safer riding in parks or backroads where there is little or no traffic.
We're currently spending some time in Halifax and we keep the bikes on the car
24/7.
We had to replace our old rack as it was
Worn out.
Old 06-09-19, 09:48 AM
Vanicent

Bikes: Fuji Jari 1.7, Fuji Roubaix 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of my rides now involve my kids (the ones into cycling anyway) and I drive to whatever MUP or trail we're riding for the day as there is too much construction and major traffic routes near our home. They're still getting used to riding outside of the neighborhood though where situational awareness needs to be much higher, so eventually I'll get back to simply taking off from the house to go somewhere.
Old 06-09-19, 07:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by EGBigelo
I see a lot of you dive to your group ride, and I've never been a part of a group ride so I'd be a little nervous about that. But the closest group ride in my area is probably 20-30 miles away, so I'd drive there. It would at least break up the boredom of my normal routes.
Driving to group rides is completely individual. No right or wrong there.

I drive to half my rides, maybe more. If I ride after work, the bike comes with. Half my gravel riding starts from my house, but half starts after a drive.

I like trying different roads and routes and sometimes that means driving to a start.
Old 06-12-19, 08:55 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
I transport about 20 miles over a river valley to get onto the Twin Cities' Grand Rounds system, which is an outstanding network for riding.

I don't have a bike rack, so I fold down the back seats of my SUV and place the bike sideways on the non drive side, and put a folded up towel under the left handlebar for support...I'm always paranoid the weight of the bike itself (which isn't much) is going to somehow bend my drop, but it of course never does.

This is why I am only a weekend rider - it IS a lot of work/hassle to load the bike up, load the gear up, drive 15-20 miles, park, unload, gear up, ride, load up, gear down, unload, and put inside of car back together when I get home. But the riding is so much better...riding in suburbs just sucks.
Old 06-12-19, 09:52 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Every frigging Sunday for the past 20 years to so I drive ~30 miles to the group ride start. Many times the ride takes us within a few blocks of my house, too.

I never ride on a MUP or bike trail if I can help it. Way too dangerous for my taste. The reason I do that driving is to ride with a bunch of impeccable bike handlers who are always consistent going down the road. Never had a group ride accident. Plus it's a social outing and there's beer at the end. I feel much safer on the road with a group, though of course I also ride those same roads solo.
Old 06-13-19, 12:23 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
I ride to the start of most rides, as it's normally within 10 miles. There's a few I will drive to, but mainly because the start is the other side of the country (Ride London, Chase the Sun, weekend away in Devon). There are so many rides around where I live. We all have our go to routes that we know and love, but everyone knows different routes, so it's just a matter picking one. Usually the starts are similar depending on direction, but the beauty of living in the UK means even though I live in a city of 600,000+, the countryside is a few minutes outside of the city limits, and the coast isn't too far away either.
Old 06-13-19, 12:36 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I've driven up to 200 miles each way to ride on better, more scenic roads.

I just discovered the magic of vacuum sealed water bottles. I make an icy Nuun water and leave it in the car for the drive home.
Old 06-13-19, 05:22 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by EGBigelo
For years now I've been riding the same routes. This year I've been mixing it up a bit, taking some side road and stuff like that. I'm comfortable and familiar with the roads I ride on (mostly state routes, but between small towns so not a lot of traffic), but it's getting stale.

How many of you load your bike in your vehicle and take it somewhere to ride? Some things concern me about that. Time for one. I have to squeeze in rides now like most of us, and that extra drive time means less ride time.

Unfamiliar roads are a concern too. Not that I'm going to get lost, but not knowing how traffic is, and if that particular stretch is more dangerous than what I ride now, and stuff like that.

But, on the plus side it's something new different.
I have previously posted to some threads:
Originally Posted by bikecrate
99% of the time I bike from door to door. My time is limited and I'd rather be riding than driving.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Welcome to Boston and environs; I love riding in and around this town. I'm a year round commuter from Kenmore Square downtown...and [a road cyclist].…

I think of the area in sectors radiating from downtown and surrounded by a circumferential belt about 10 to 15 miles from Downtown, known as Route 128 ("America's Technology Highway…All the riding is markedly better outside of 128, but the city and inner suburbs are nice and interesting. …

On a happier note, the Transportation Authority (MBTA) allows bikes on subways and commuter trains with certain restrictions and that's a nice way to get out of town without city riding. MBTA > Riding the T > Bikes on the T

I would describe the sectors as (mostly for road riding outside of Rte 128):...
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I get bored of the same rides, so I'm probably transporting my bike 80% of the time. …Of the transport times, maybe 2 out of 10 of those are to join a group ride, either the local club (Potomac Pedallers) or charity organized group rides. The rest are are solo rides.

I try to make sure that the one way drive mileage is less than the total bike ride mileage, but there are a few just plain fun shorter rides that are further away than that...
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work.

I have found that when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving.

So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….
A local BF subscriber @rholland1951 who contributes hundreds of photographs to the local Metro Boston thread from the same 11-mile long MUP he rides, once commented something like that "just the lighting / time of day / day of the year makes the ride “different.”

So too does the direction, one way, or the reverse.
I've driven up to 200 miles each way to ride on better, more scenic roads.…
… From my participation in those previous [Annual] Fifty-Plus Rides, I have driven mostly up to about 400 miles one-way, and about 800 miles twice to the Rides in Michigan to also visit my family there.
For those Rides, the draw besides the new scenery was meeting other BF subscribers.
Old 06-13-19, 02:24 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I hate it, but I typically drive even though it's only 3 miles to where I begin the ride. These roads are ill suited for bicycling any time other than early on a weekend morning.
Old 06-13-19, 06:48 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
I get bored of the same rides, so I'm probably transporting my bike 80% of the time. There is a 20 mile local loop that I can squeeze in that I do a lot just as a training ride, I don't really count that one - more talking about longer rides. The roads around here aren't bad at all, just driving to a start point for either better scenery or to join group rides.

Of the transport times, maybe 2 out of 10 of those are to join a group ride, either the local club (Potomac Pedallers) or charity organized group rides. The rest are are solo rides. I try to make sure that the one way drive mileage is less than the total bike ride mileage, but there are a few just plain fun shorter rides that are further away than that.

When I can arrange it, I do some long (65 - 85 mile) rides from our house the house of friends who have moved away, and then my wife drives out later on, we all have dinner and then I throw the bike on her car and we drive home. That is kind of the best of both worlds!
Hah, I do that. I have a friend that lives way out west of Chicago on a gravel trail. Ride out by him, short ride to a local brewpub for lunch and a couple beers, continue on to brother in laws place for sunday dinner with wife and her family, throw bike in trunk after dinner. It's 👍
Old 06-13-19, 07:55 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
You interrupted a downhill to shoot a pic?
Barely. That's right at the top of Washington Pass. There would have been only a brief moment of downhill to get to that photo; there's half an hour of downhill beyond.
Old 06-14-19, 12:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
You interrupted a downhill to shoot a pic? Damn. That's discipline.
​​​​​
Originally Posted by HTupolev
Barely. That's right at the top of Washington Pass. There would have been only a brief moment of downhill to get to that photo; there's half an hour of downhill beyond.
Always amazed at @HTupolev's knowledge. And good taste.

Also I've biked over this pass several times, driven it several dozens. I insisted on riding it and made my friend wait that day to see it though snow like this. Couldn't not get a good picture or two. This is about 50 vertical feet below the high point, even stopping here you will hit 45 mph coasting through the hairpin, the descendent is maybe 15 miles in all.
Old 06-14-19, 06:20 AM
dmanthree

Nice

Originally Posted by HTupolev
Nice shot, and sounds like an epic downhill!
Old 06-14-19, 06:22 AM
dmanthree

Yes

​​​​​

Always amazed at @HTupolev's knowledge. And good taste.

Also I've biked over this pass several times, driven it several dozens. I insisted on riding it and made my friend wait that day to see it though snow like this. Couldn't not get a good picture or two. This is about 50 vertical feet below the high point, even stopping here you will hit 45 mph coasting through the hairpin, the descendent is maybe 15 miles in all.
Agreed. There's nothing like that near me, so I'm content coasting down the half mile hills. For now. Then again, there's always Cruiser Bob on Maui. ;-)