Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Selling 2017 Tamland on CL?

Old 06-16-19, 06:19 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,318 Times in 2,703 Posts
Selling 2017 Tamland on CL?

I'm considering selling this on CL but I have no experience selling a bike this new. All stock, Reynolds 631, mostly 105. Prices new for these were all over the place, crazy high "retail" to really low ebay closeouts. That makes it hard for me to figure a value. I paid about $1200 with the corporate discount, FWIW. Also, front wheel has a slight wobble that I've been unable to correct. Should I mention this in the ad and price accordingly (my preference) or plan to negotiate if it concerns a prospective buyer? I have some nearly new Panaracer GKSK 42s. Should I include them or sell separately? Would the value maybe offset the wheel issue? Thanks for any input.
Old 06-16-19, 11:09 AM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
If you're aware of any issue, I would absolute disclose it. You'd be amazed how many times I've had to fight eBay/PayPal for people wanting to try and return stuff as defective. Seriously...

Once shards of packing peanuts (you know, due to static) was on a bike frame and the buyer submitted a "not as advertised" claim for a full refund to PayPal. Took me almost 8 weeks to get it fully resolved and get PayPal to release my funds.

My rule of thumb on selling bikes, the moment you roll it off the lot, even if you never actually ride it, take a minimum of 30% off the MSRP. The moment a new model comes out, it's 45% off MSRP.

I much prefer to take a little less and move it, if you try to ask too much you'll just get lowballed to death and sit on a bike for weeks. Each week you've got it, the value goes down a little bit. Especially this time of year when the 2020s will start hitting showroom floors.
Likes For softreset:
Old 06-16-19, 11:28 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I would shoot for $600 and not include the tires or anything thats been added that you like(saddle, pedals, etc).
Sure, mention the wobble if its something structural to the rim. If it just needs to be tried a bit, I wouldn't mention it as that may turn away potential buyers who ultimately dont care, don't notice, or would take it in to be trued for $20.

The above applies to cl/fb sales only. Basically just local.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-16-19, 11:38 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I was thinking around $600 and it would be local, not interested in boxing/shipping it. I tend to think 50% is right for a used bike but the prices folks paid for these seemed to vary quite a bit. I would mention the wheel in the ad unless I can work on it some more and resolve it completely.
Old 06-16-19, 01:00 PM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
$600 for that would be a steal in my area. I would think $100-200 higher would be reasonable, given that it would still be a pretty big discount from new, and it's in great shape (aside from the wobble).

You can always adjust the price if it doesn't sell. I wouldn't want to undervalue such a new and well-maintained bike.
Likes For Lava:
Old 06-16-19, 01:52 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
$600 for that around Atlanta would be a good deal too. Unless you wanna sell it today I’d list it at $850 to start and then just drop it in price if it doesn’t sell within a week.

When I was buying/selling I knew I underpriced something if it sold within a day or two. The market down here, especially Craigslist, needs a week or three for best price. But I’ve been out of the game for a couple years so it may be different now.
Likes For Spoonrobot:
Old 06-16-19, 02:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Maybe I will try pricing it a little higher initially. I've only sold a couple of older bikes. I'd used them enough that the price didn't really matter. I priced them very low and they sold quickly. This one's different in that it was an impulse purchase and I haven't used it much. I might feel grumpy about it if I take too much of a beating
Old 06-17-19, 12:57 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
You need to disclose any problems up front or the person that comes to see the bike will use that against you and will refuse to pay the price you are asking - if they know it up front and still come to see the bike you know they are willing to pay your full price.
Old 06-17-19, 01:18 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
definitely disclose the issue. Why not take it to a bike shop and have them look at it?

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm considering selling this on CL but I have no experience selling a bike this new. All stock, Reynolds 631, mostly 105. Prices new for these were all over the place, crazy high "retail" to really low ebay closeouts. That makes it hard for me to figure a value. I paid about $1200 with the corporate discount, FWIW. Also, front wheel has a slight wobble that I've been unable to correct. Should I mention this in the ad and price accordingly (my preference) or plan to negotiate if it concerns a prospective buyer? I have some nearly new Panaracer GKSK 42s. Should I include them or sell separately? Would the value maybe offset the wheel issue? Thanks for any input.
Old 06-18-19, 04:33 AM
jeremybart

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
That's my bike!
I would happily have bought used for $800. Only suggestion would be have the front wheel fixed at LBS. Don't pass on a wheel issue. Small investment on a relatively new bike.
J