Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Highbridge Park/Vinegar Flats Loop, Spokane

Search
Notices
Pacific Northwest Idaho | Oregon | Washington | Alaska

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-09, 02:06 AM
trailjunky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thought you guys might like another trip report form a ride this last weekend in Spokane.

Click on link for pics.https://www.flickr.com/photos/tannerg...7616324992177/

I decided to go for a ride this weekend, attempting another urban mountain bike adventure through Spokane. After fumbling through “Mountain Biking Spokane and Coeur d’Alene” by Martin Potucek I decided on the Highbridge Park/Vinegar Flats Loop since it was close to the house, I was limited on time.

Instead of starting this loop at Highbridge Park I decided to begin off Thorpe Road at the Fish Lake Trail, again, because it is closer to my house. After making my own parking spot I pushed my bike up the short, steep, soft sand trail in order to pick up the much more biker friendly Fish Lake Trail where I went right.

The Fish Lake Trail is a mostly level old rail system that has been getting some attention in recent years, and will eventually be paved the entire way from Cheney to Spokane, as for now, its good old loose gravel. Working my way north, I crossed a couple of bridges before finding a couple of nice kelly humps to send me airborne, yahoo!! Near the end of the path I abandoned the trail for pavement at Lindeke Avenue, and after crossing a bridge over I-90 I reached a light at Sunset Boulevard. Continuing straight the road changed to Government Way, and after a couple of sweeping turns I eventually made a right onto Riverside Avenue. Cruising downhill it didn’t take long to reach a bridge spanning Latah Creek.

Once across the creek I cruised into Peoples Park to take in the views of the Spokane River from the Sandifur Bridge built in 2004. After a short break, I then recrossed the bridge over Latah Creek, and went left into Highbridge Park, named for the high bridges that span the creek and gorge. Picking up the dirt road closest to the river I made my way south, and after passing under the bridges I eventually reached 11th avenue and crossed Latah Creek on a low bridge.

Now in the deteriorating, but welcome neighborhood of Vinegar Flats, I made a right on Coeur d’Alene, and in a couple of short blocks another left on 13th. It didn’t take long to reach Chestnut Street, where I went right then glided to another bridge spanning Latah Creek where I took a couple of pictures. Back on the road, I crested a small hill and in short time reached Highway 195, once across I found my truck waiting for me.

This was a great trip through another area of Spokane I never knew existed, a relatively short loop, I covered the 4.2 mile loop in well under an hour.
Old 04-06-09, 09:48 AM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've wanted to ride from Fish Lake Trail, near Marshall, north along the old rail bed, but haven't taken the time to try to find the route. If you want a longer ride go to the Fish Lake Trail head near Marshall and ride FLT to Cheney. It is paved and slightly downhill to Cheney. Once in Cheney got to Turnbull Wildlife Refuge and you can have a nice ride. The ride in Turnbull would be on gravel roads, I don't think you can ride off the road.
Old 04-06-09, 05:00 PM
slotibartfast
Duct tape won't fix that

Bikes: 2003 Bianchi Veloce, 2002 Gary Fisher Utopia

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice pics, Tanner. Makes me homesick. It's great that you're finally getting some nice weather over there after the robust winter. I really miss riding around the South Hill and the Centennial Trail. Enjoy your spring.