Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Post pics of your bar ends

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-15, 04:34 PM
HillRiderEast

Bikes: Trek fx 7.4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am now riding a flat bar but spend many years with a riser bar. Trying to get used to it and thought bar ends might be a good idea to get my hands higher from time to time. I am interested in seeing different types of bar ends and want to know the angles they are set at. I would have to get an adapter for the bar ends since I have a Trek 7.4 FX - I see that Trek sells the adapter for $12. Thanks for sharing any pics and for any tips on adapting to the lower bar. I do notice a bit of neck cramping for trying to look up, but I know I am not doing any damage - it is probably good for me to use the neck muscles!
Old 05-15-15, 07:21 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I replaced my Specialized grips with the Ergon GP2 grips. Didn't really want anything bigger with regards to bar ends. Just wanted something to give me different positions while riding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC_2100 (450x800).jpg (80.8 KB, 303 views)
Old 05-15-15, 08:58 PM
steve_cay

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.4 DS

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I went with this product, and am very happy with it:
Evo Ergonomic Bar Ends - Evolution Cycles-Richmond Hill,Ontario
I think the same thing is available under several different brand names.

Here is what it looks like on my bike, subtle and not too imposing (unlike some curve around metal ones!)

Similar to Ergon GP2 layout, but since I already had the extremely comfortable Bontrager Satellite Elite "screw down platform" grips standard on my bike, I did not want to re-buy similar grips that come with the GP2. These are be a bit cheaper (since they don't include grips). And I found the bar end part more contoured, ergonomic, with softer grippy surface, and a bit longer than the GP2.

These bar ends can just be added next to your existing grips, and have a hidden screw clamp that goes on tight around your handlebar (no way it will slip or twist). I find I have 3 comfortable positions: 1) Around the standard grips with wrist horizontal. 2) Four fingers around the end of barren with wrist vertical. 3) With palms wresting on the front of barrend, and two fingers and thumb straddling back of barren with wrist in between horizontal and vertical.

I originally could hardly ride 15 minutes before I got numb and tingly hands and shoulder/arm sensations ... from too many years of bad posture IT work! I found the following alleviated the issue completely, I can now ride for hours with no hand problems:

1) Good gloves with some padding.
2) Added bar-ends.
3) Grips, bar-ends, and brakes levers meticulously adjusted.
4) Flipping between different hand positions every 10 minutes.

Basically you want your wrist straight (not bent up or bent down pinching nerves), and in a neutral position avoiding pressure points. For the grips/brake-levers I rotated them so that from my riding position - my wrist flows horizontally in a straight line with my arm, straight over the contoured grip platform through to the two fingers over the brake levers (grips rotates up towards me a few degrees, and brake levers down away from me a few degrees). For the bar ends I rotated them a few degrees up away from me so that my wrist is vertically straight with my arm while riding. I sometimes see bar-ends pointing up, this would result in the wrist being bent upwards (again pinching nerves).

How many degrees exactly should everything be? The best way is to bring Allen keys with you on a long ride, and keep re-adjusting every 15 minutes to get wrists as neutral as possible and eliminate pressure points with various riding positions. Your body will tell you when it is just right! You will not figure this out just going down the driveway.

Apologies for the over elaborate answer to your questions, but I see so many questions on this forum "my hands go numb, will bar ends help?" I figured I would document my experience.

Last edited by steve_cay; 05-16-15 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-15-15, 11:08 PM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
Retro Onza's

From China on ebay. Had them for many years and been good.

Old 05-15-15, 11:11 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Grips almost worn through. I prefer to have my horns in the middle lol.
Attached Images
Old 05-16-15, 03:57 AM
HillRiderEast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you find that you can adjust the bar end angle more upright so your body more upright with the Ergo?

Last edited by HillRiderEast; 05-16-15 at 04:05 AM.
Old 05-16-15, 04:04 AM
HillRiderEast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
steve...thanks for your experiences. I would also like to ride longer than 10 miles and my old bike with riser bars did not have the gearing - we are way to hilly here. The Trek fx 7.4 does the hills nicely, but the bar is low for me and can't be adjusted any higher. Short of switching out the bar, hoping bar ends would get me up higher from time to time to enjoy the view! I will check these out. Can you alter the angles on the EVO bar end or is the angle preset when you put them on the ends of the bar?

Last edited by HillRiderEast; 05-16-15 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-16-15, 04:06 AM
HillRiderEast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jbc....they all look great especially the purple
Old 05-16-15, 04:08 AM
HillRiderEast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
are the horns used when you are on the flat?
[/QUOTE]
Old 05-16-15, 05:03 AM
steve_cay

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRiderEast
steve...thanks for your experiences. I would also like to ride longer than 10 miles and my old bike with riser bars did not have the gearing - we are way to hilly here. The Trek fx 7.4 does the hills nicely, but the bar is low for me and can't be adjusted any higher. Short of switching out the bar, hoping bar ends would get me up higher from time to time to enjoy the view! I will check these out. Can you alter the angles on the EVO bar end or is the angle preset when you put them on the ends of the bar?
The Evo Ergo can be rotated 360 degrees. You can point them straight up if you want. However, I think that defeats the purpose of a comfortable wrist position as your wrist will bend up holding them vertically. If you want a higher stance, what you want is a "quill extender", or a different "handle bar stem" to get the handlebar in the position you are comfortable with. (either of these will probably not be more expensive that nice bar-ends, and can still be used in conjunction with bar ends). The default geometry of the FX is kind-of more like a road-bike with flat bars, rather than a comfort/cruiser hybrid.

Or perhaps something like this angled up with an alternate higher horizontal position. (I have never tried these, so not sure how comfortable that position would be)

Last edited by steve_cay; 05-16-15 at 05:06 AM.
Old 05-20-15, 08:22 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Ergon GP5
Attached Images
ergon.jpg (96.5 KB, 164 views)
Old 05-21-15, 03:23 PM
king_solom0n

Bikes: Fuji SL 25, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
Retro Onza's

From China on ebay. Had them for many years and been good.

What camera are you using? Your pics are always so beautiful.
Old 05-21-15, 04:00 PM
squatchout

Bikes: '15 Trek 7.2 FX

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want to sit in a more upright position most of the time, I would just get a stem riser instead. They're cheap and will make your handlebars sit up higher.
Old 05-22-15, 02:28 PM
steve_cay

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by yashinon
Ergon GP5
Never tried those "wrap around" bar ends. How useful/comfortable is that extended second horizontal wrist position, with the bar-end installed at the correct "a few degrees above horizontal"? How often do you ride that position? I would imagine it creates a very stretched out stance.
Old 05-22-15, 03:54 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by steve_cay
Never tried those "wrap around" bar ends. How useful/comfortable is that extended second horizontal wrist position, with the bar-end installed at the correct "a few degrees above horizontal"? How often do you ride that position? I would imagine it creates a very stretched out stance.
They are comfortable, providing different hand positions. I have them installed a few degrees above horizontal. I use the bar ends most when riding, a little more stretched out but nice. As long as the bar ends hold their position, I am good. Had a little issue with that but I think the LBS did not do the best job when mounting them on the new handlebar.
Old 05-22-15, 03:58 PM
J708

Bikes: Giant Seek 3 ('14)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
some of these bar ends look really cool! i think thats going to be my next purchase on my bike the second i come across any.
Old 05-23-15, 02:14 PM
timgriffin2

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Sirrus 3.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 32 Posts
I has my LBS install bar ends on my trek 7.2FX very similar to these along with new Ergon grips due to my hands going numb after 5-6 miles. The new bar ends were metal and they moved my old grips onto the bar ends and it came out great! I took it on an initial 13 mile ride and had no numbness at all, so I consider it worth every penny.

The Evo Ergo can be rotated 360 degrees. You can point them straight up if you want. However, I think that defeats the purpose of a comfortable wrist position as your wrist will bend up holding them vertically. If you want a higher stance, what you want is a "quill extender", or a different "handle bar stem" to get the handlebar in the position you are comfortable with. (either of these will probably not be more expensive that nice bar-ends, and can still be used in conjunction with bar ends). The default geometry of the FX is kind-of more like a road-bike with flat bars, rather than a comfort/cruiser hybrid.

Or perhaps something like this angled up with an alternate higher horizontal position. (I have never tried these, so not sure how comfortable that position would be)

Old 05-23-15, 09:39 PM
Wallonthefloor

Bikes: All-City Big Block, Giant Bowery, KHS Flite 100

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRiderEast
are the horns used when you are on the flat?
It's not whether flat, its whether theres a curve and a certain amount of speed. Although for uphill I have learned from these forums that cutting the wind does not matter below the speed of 15mph, so once I go below that speed is when I switch.
Old 05-25-15, 02:25 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by king_solom0n
What camera are you using? Your pics are always so beautiful.
Thanks for that. Most of my pictures are with a Canon S110. The top 2 you commented on are with a Canon 650d that I rarely carry riding anymore because of it's size
Old 05-26-15, 12:24 PM
jt02gt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tioga Power Studs
Attached Images
WP_20150406_18_14_02_Pro.jpg (97.7 KB, 195 views)
Old 05-26-15, 02:06 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
tried this "combo" for a while when I started commuting with an old MTB. then I got a hybrid bike, then finally a road bike

those bolt on drop bars were awkward cuz of the angle of the straight bars which really weren't straight. I also tried them on the hybrid but had the same issue.

I liked the high bar ends for the multitude of positions, in particular resting my hands at the very top of them, especially when out of the saddle.
Attached Images
DSC_6976.JPG (63.8 KB, 96 views)
DSC_6970.JPG (65.5 KB, 94 views)
DSC_6966.JPG (75.1 KB, 96 views)
DSC_7046.JPG (95.7 KB, 90 views)
DSC_6989.jpg (94.9 KB, 97 views)
Old 05-26-15, 06:23 PM
steve_cay

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I heard those add on drop bars have to be placed towards the inside (like your last pic). If placed on the outside like bar ends (as in your first few pics), it will be way too wide and just feel wrong.
Old 05-26-15, 06:47 PM
limbot

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

A 2013 DS 8.4 with small bar ends.... Snap Steve (BBB Ergostiks)

I actually originally dropped into my LBS and got sold some "standard" horns. I walked back to the office, looked at them and decided they were too big and "ugly" and went directly back and swapped them for the Ergostiks. Really like them and probably spend about 80% of my time on them. Best $20 I spend on the DS.

Last edited by limbot; 05-26-15 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-26-15, 07:15 PM
steve_cay

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by limbot
A 2013 DS 8.4 with small bar ends.... Snap Steve (BBB Ergostiks)

I actually originally dropped into my LBS and got sold some "standard" horns. I walked back to the office, looked at them and decided they were too big and "ugly" and went directly back and swapped them for the Ergostiks. Really like them and probably spend about 80% of my time on them. Best $20 I spend on the DS.

Our bikes are twins!

I also had some standard metal curved horns in my hand at the LBS, that the sales guy recomended. Walked over to a Trek DS they had on the floor, held the bar ends to the handlebar ... and no way I wanted my bike looking like that! Then held these to the handlebar, and looked nice and discrete in comparison!
Old 05-26-15, 07:20 PM
limbot

Bikes: 2014 Avanti Cadent ERII 2, 2013 Trek DS 8.4, 2008 Norco Wolverine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Our bikes are twins!
Twins 16000+ kms apart and it sounds like you and I think alike too.... spooky....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.