Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Advice on buying a particular bike (2017 Jamis Renegade Expat)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-17, 06:19 AM
noybiznatch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all, I wanted to see if I could get some feedback on a bike I'm looking to purchase for my wife. Getting a small enough size bike for her height (5ft. flat) doesn't allow for too many options I've found.

I'm looking specifically at the Jamis Renegade Expat (steel bike). The spec sheet is on the bike's product page on their site. I think it's a pretty good value for what you get. I have a couple of concerns with this bike though. Rust prevention... being that we live in Florida (~20 miles from the beach). Do I have to apply some sort of Frame Saver immediately after the bike is ordered and comes in? How long does the application last?

Also, the front fork is Thru-axle... however it has a hex nut type connection (allen wrench removal) to unscrew the bolt, no lever to quickly unscrew if needed. I've read that finding a replacement thru-axle bolt can be a PITA.

I'm kind of stuck on this Steel bike, but wouldn't be opposed to Aluminum if the top brands made bikes in the ~48 size. It's a bit heavy at 24 lbs. too, and she's only 115 lbs. herself. I'm not sure if this is such a concern as she's coming from a 35lb. Mongoose Sports Authority bike, lol.

Any advice you all can provide would be much appreciated.
Old 05-19-17, 06:32 AM
IamAlan

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp, 2006 Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are quite a few options for women's bikes in small sizes.

Specialized Ruby is available down to a size 44 or 48. And the Vita in an XS.

Trek Silque is also available in a size 44 and 47.

If you mentioned a price range, that would help.
Old 05-19-17, 06:38 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I'm a size 48 too and ride a steel gravel grinder (mine is custom though, no particular advice on the Expat except that is very well regarded in the gravel grinding/cx forum).

I live right next to the beach and haven't had problems with my steel frame (so far) and I'm not that much careful (I keep my bike inside, but my frame isn't treated). As it looks like to me you'd have to leave your bike unsheltered outside for a while for rust to be a real issue.

I know a few other gravel/adventure bikes that come in close to the same size (since you mention being open to other options)

Specialized Dolce Evo (48)
Felt V55 (45)
Fuji Jari (46)
Liv Invite (XS/14.5")
Old 05-19-17, 06:49 AM
Garilia

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in South Florida, about 15 miles from the beach and 5 miles from the Everglades. I have two steel Jamis bikes, a Jamis Boss Cruiser (comfort bike, about 15 years old) and a Jamis Quest (road bike, about 6 years old) and I have not had a problem with rust for either bike. They are both kept in my garage. I have done nothing extra to protect the frames.
Old 05-19-17, 07:58 AM
noybiznatch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments all!

2 other bits of important information I left out
- Price cap, no higher than $1200 (this Expat is $1160 with a 5% LBS discount)
- Relaxed geometry + wider tire clearance (35+)

I will look into the other options, thanks for the listing!

Also, thanks for the re-assurance regarding the rust prevention... I may be overthinking this as it will be garage kept. I could always spray some "Frame Saver" a bit down the road.

Any opinion on the thru-axle that can only be removed with an allen wrench? Just seems a bit weird.
Old 05-19-17, 08:14 AM
noybiznatch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kuroba
I'm a size 48 too and ride a steel gravel grinder (mine is custom though, no particular advice on the Expat except that is very well regarded in the gravel grinding/cx forum).

I live right next to the beach and haven't had problems with my steel frame (so far) and I'm not that much careful (I keep my bike inside, but my frame isn't treated). As it looks like to me you'd have to leave your bike unsheltered outside for a while for rust to be a real issue.

I know a few other gravel/adventure bikes that come in close to the same size (since you mention being open to other options)

Specialized Dolce Evo (48)
Felt V55 (45)
Fuji Jari (46)
Liv Invite (XS/14.5")

How do you like your gravel grinder so far?
Old 05-19-17, 08:27 AM
kuroba

Originally Posted by noybiznatch
How do you like your gravel grinder so far?
It was my first road bike so at first the transition was awkward but I LOVE IT. Currently set up as 7x3 with TRP Spyre brakes and crosstop levers.

My bike has a more touring/endurance geometry so it feels very stable yet handles well (though it's not as lively or nimble as a true road bike this is actually a plus for me). I use it for commuting, road riding and actual gravel grinding. I am surprised by how well it handles off-road with 35mm tyres. It's a good N=1 bike.

IMG_6758.jpg

IMG_8177.jpg
Old 05-19-17, 08:53 AM
noybiznatch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kuroba
It was my first road bike so at first the transition was awkward but I LOVE IT. Currently set up as 7x3 with TRP Spyre brakes and crosstop levers.

My bike has a more touring/endurance geometry so it feels very stable yet handles well (though it's not as lively or nimble as a true road bike this is actually a plus for me). I use it for commuting, road riding and actual gravel grinding. I am surprised by how well it handles off-road with 35mm tyres. It's a good N=1 bike.

Attachment 563949

Attachment 563950
Thanks for sharing! What kind of tires are on there, can't tell from the picture. Schwalbe? The Jamis comes with Clement X'plor MSO, but I think I may switch out for something less knobby as most will be road riding with about 20% trail / gravel riding.

Do you find yourself using the auxillary brakes moreso than the regular?
Old 05-19-17, 08:58 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Rust prevention... being that we live in Florida (~20 miles from the beach). Do I have to apply some sort of Frame Saver immediately after the bike is ordered and comes in?

Shouldn't be a concern. We live about 20 miles from the gulf and have no problems. Bikes on the back porch at the beach house a few hundred yards from the gulf do get some surface rust, but they sit unused for long periods.
Old 05-19-17, 09:14 AM
Calla lily

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Salsa vaya is another option to look at. Not light though. It can take up to 50mm tires. I'm running 28mm on mine now and using it to train for a road century. I'm looking into tire options for after this century that will be faster onroad than the stock tires, but better as an off-road option than the tires I'm running now (Conti GP 4000s ii). I'm also in Fl, bike is garage kept, and I'm not worried about rust. The bike will probably outlast me.
Old 05-19-17, 09:21 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Any advice you all can provide would be much appreciated.
Let HER pick HER bike. Her bottom is the one that is going to be spending hours on it, and how she feels on any particular bike may not be the same as what you have in your mind about how a bike should fit her.
Old 05-19-17, 09:27 AM
kuroba

What kind of tires are on there, can't tell from the picture.
First pic has my commuting/road tire Challenge Paris-Roubaix 700x27. Second pic is my gravel tyre Duro Ellie Mae 700x35, they have a central tread with side knobs which are very appropiate for the hard packed gravel I ride, but a bit heavy.

Do you find yourself using the auxillary brakes moreso than the regular?
At first I relied a lot on them, as it was my first experience with drops and the crosstops felt like the flat handlebars I was used to. As time has passed I used them less and less and now I ride 90% of the time on the hoods, using the flats mainly for riding in traffic and tricky descents on gravel.
Old 05-19-17, 03:07 PM
Garilia

Bikes: Fantom 29

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments all!

2 other bits of important information I left out
- Price cap, no higher than $1200 (this Expat is $1160 with a 5% LBS discount)
- Relaxed geometry + wider tire clearance (35+)

I will look into the other options, thanks for the listing!

Also, thanks for the re-assurance regarding the rust prevention... I may be overthinking this as it will be garage kept. I could always spray some "Frame Saver" a bit down the road.

Any opinion on the thru-axle that can only be removed with an allen wrench? Just seems a bit weird.
The only rust I've had on any of my bikes in South Florida is on the chain of my 29'er hardtail from spending the weekend riding through a lot of mud. Removed the chain when I got home, sprayed it with WD-40, then washed it with degreaser, put it back on and put chain lubricant on it, and it's great.