Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which do you prefer: winter cycling at <10°c or summer at > 30°C

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.
View Poll Results: Winter or summer cycling
Iron man: love those negative temperatures
8.33%
Winter for me, but not freezing, too dangerous
0%
Summer, but below that 30°C
58.33%
Below 30° is for wimps. Bring on global warming
33.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-18, 03:22 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Have to say I really don't like cycling when the temperature drops below 10°. I mean, I do it, and obviously warm up, buy all that palava of warm cycling gear, wet weather gear, riding the slower bike with mudguards gets to me. Plus, there's the hazard that if the temperatures are above freezing, but there was a frost, you are sure to hurtle round a shaded corner and spot the ice at the last moment.

Contrast that with heat. Yes, you need lots of water and suntan lotion, and tropical middays are not a good idea until you've acclimatised, but that's about it..

And, yes, it is cold, raining and I have to cycle down to the local supermarket, which is what prompts this thread !
Old 12-23-18, 06:08 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Oh yeah, give me above 30°c (86°f) over our current 0°c any friggin day!! We're not close to the tropics, but with all our corn fields midsummer can get very tropical here. I really, really enjoy walking out at 4am and having it be 74°f already. I have no difficulties handling heat and humidity.

Though if it has to get cold, I'll take our winter over yours. Temps plummet from 0°c down to -18°c (0°f) which is awful, but that also means very little liquid precipitation which is nice. Also Iowa is sort of arid in the winter, so we don't really get much snow either.
Old 12-23-18, 08:59 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Summer. No question. I like being able to just hop on the bike and go. Winter means a lot of thought about clothing, having to change clothes which is a bother, and then there's worry over wearing the wrong items and getting cold or too warm a few miles out when it's too late to bother going back home to change. Summer is way more forgiving and pleasant.
Old 12-23-18, 09:08 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Oh yeah, give me above 30°c (86°f) over our current 0°c any friggin day!! We're not close to the tropics, but with all our corn fields midsummer can get very tropical here. I really, really enjoy walking out at 4am and having it be 74°f already. I have no difficulties handling heat and humidity.

Though if it has to get cold, I'll take our winter over yours. Temps plummet from 0°c down to -18°c (0°f) which is awful, but that also means very little liquid precipitation which is nice. Also Iowa is sort of arid in the winter, so we don't really get much snow either.
I'll take the cooler side, being the same latitude and climate as you.

Can always put on more layers and get comfy. When it is 40C out and 90% humidity and 25C dewpoint....there's nothing you can do other than ride at 0500 before dawn before the weather gets evil.
Old 12-23-18, 11:45 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I happen to like a summer @ ~ 20 - 25C .. with a 5 knot breeze..& winter at 8~10C is what I have here.. ..
Old 12-23-18, 12:12 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
My comfort range is around 25-90° F (-4-32°C). I can ride any distance at my normal pace in that range. I rode 50 miles both yesterday and today at right around freezing. Below ~25 I use a different bike and different clothes so it's much slower and my rides tend to be shorter. I'm good down to around zero (-17°C), but when it's that cold, I can't stay out for more than an hour-and-a-half or so, and it's pretty unpleasant the whole time. I don't go out below zero anymore other than my one mile commute to the train station. Above 90 I'm fine up to as hot as it ever gets here as long as I back off the pace and drink enough water.
Old 12-23-18, 12:12 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
I couldn't answer the poll because I like em both. There's something to like about every temperature I'm seeing.

I like extremes because they're an interesting challenge. A hot day means you're managing temperature, hydration, exertion and keeping it all in safe ranges. Although there was that one hot day coming up the hill toward home where my body felt like a thermometer with the mercury about to blow out the top. I think that was because I had just been on open pavement with a 20F heat bonus.

A cold day means you're managing sweat, temperature and skin exposure, plus trying to do all your other stuff like eating and drinking without having to open up any layers. Cold days make me feel energized and alive. At 35-40F I'm at a happy steady state for comfort.

The one thing that's hard is trying to ride first thing on a cold day after just waking up. That's tough to do. Sometimes I do a walk first to give me time to adjust and ease into it.
Old 12-23-18, 02:59 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I prefer cooler temps. My favourite time of the year is fall, winter and early spring...I hate hot summers.
Old 12-23-18, 05:47 PM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
My most miserable bike rides, hikes, and runs were all in hot & humid weather. I will take cold weather over days in the 90s. I could never live in the southern part of the country. If I was ever to move, it would be further north. I've lived in the Chicago suburbs my entire life.

I do like having more daylight, though, in the summer.
Old 12-24-18, 09:56 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
My most miserable bike rides, hikes, and runs were all in hot & humid weather. I will take cold weather over days in the 90s. I could never live in the southern part of the country. If I was ever to move, it would be further north. I've lived in the Chicago suburbs my entire life.

I do like having more daylight, though, in the summer.
I feel exactly the same way about heat and humidity, and I really hate the short days this time of year.

I really can’t consider temps under 10C/50F as winter, because our average daily mean temperature is equal to or lower than that for 7 months of the year, mid-Oct to mid-May. It’s all relative to your location, obviously. Here, winter cycling means when we have frozen ground, freezing temps, and/or snow cover. Much easier for me to take than extremes of heat and humidity.
Old 12-24-18, 10:15 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I happen to like a summer @ ~ 20 - 25C .. with a 5 knot breeze.
Lovely spring and fall weather, all 4-5 weeks of it.
Old 12-24-18, 11:17 AM
GadgetGirlIL

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Vortex, 2017 All-City Mr. Pink, ~1997 Trek Multitrack 700

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24

I feel exactly the same way about heat and humidity, and I really hate the short days this time of year.

I really can’t consider temps under 10C/50F as winter, because our average daily mean temperature is equal to or lower than that for 7 months of the year, mid-Oct to mid-May. It’s all relative to your location, obviously. Here, winter cycling means when we have frozen ground, freezing temps, and/or snow cover. Much easier for me to take than extremes of heat and humidity.
Hah! Just noticed that we both have avatars with our bikes in the snow!!
Old 12-24-18, 11:35 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
I love it when it's boiling hot out (granted, in Ohio, that's 100F max). So much less stuff to carry. Just sunscreen, shades, water, and summer kit. I had to learn to love hot weather because my pathetic Weinmann 500 hand springs-I mean brakes- work best when it's above 86 degrees. Plus, less people on the MUP and best of all, "mere mortals" think I'm crazy. *begins maniacal and unsettling laughter*
Old 12-24-18, 05:45 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Low temperatures are far more easier. 10C is not even a temperature to notice. I had been riding so far within the range of -30C to +44C. The toughest had been 42-44C particularly on a mediocre bike. In any case you do what you need to do. Any temperature is usually easier to tolerate while riding than while walking. I did not even put any special underwear down to -30C, just wore the same pants I wear in spring or in fall. Try skiing off a top off a mountain at -30C which is not that uncommon around skiing resorts. Then biking at -30C in the flats is pretty much a matter of fact. Unfortunately in my area you do not get any lower
Old 12-24-18, 08:40 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Summer is so much easier to get motivated, though hydration is a bit bigger deal. I commute year round when it isn't raining, but winter takes so much more layering and laundry. Finally invested in semi-winter shoes (bontrager JFW) and heat packs and that takes the edge off the frozen SPD issue. Skinsuits and such are so much more comfortable and simple to ride in, but not in winter.
Old 12-25-18, 10:50 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
For most of North America, 10C isn't even close to "winter". That's a mild spring. If you're looking for a low threshold that's comparable to a >30C on the high side, it's more like <0C. Just looking at the overall cycling population here, it doesn't drop off at all at 10C. It's at about 5C that the "fair weather" folks hang it up. Below 0C, the majority of those who remain are characterized by the "bzzzzzzzz" of studded tires on pavement.
Old 12-25-18, 04:10 PM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
Nothing to do with temperature for me. Best cycling is when it doesn't rain. After that the absence of wind would be icing on the cake. 10C isn't really cold in my experience. -15C and I can tell it's cold out and change the way I dress. 30 no problem either. I even like 40 C. But, almost all my rides have a duration of one hour, so I might feel differently if I was touring or looking for a ride duration of 5-6 hours.
Old 12-25-18, 08:10 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
To choose a preference means you also have days when you decide you don't want to ride. I didn't vote. Plus, I didn't like that reference to global warming.

I've ridden below -27C and above 30C. When you're riding, and you've prepared for the weather, it really doesn't make much of a difference.
Old 12-25-18, 08:31 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12774 Post(s)
Liked 7,692 Times in 4,081 Posts
My least favorite is 0-5° C and raining.

When I lived in Wyoming and rode a lot of gravel and MTB, in the winter I usually prayed that it wouldn't get above -5 or so, just so the trails would stay firmly frozen and non-muddy.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 12-25-18 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-25-18, 09:21 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
Have to say I really don't like cycling when the temperature drops below 10°. I mean, I do it, and obviously warm up, buy all that palava of warm cycling gear, wet weather gear, riding the slower bike with mudguards gets to me. Plus, there's the hazard that if the temperatures are above freezing, but there was a frost, you are sure to hurtle round a shaded corner and spot the ice at the last moment.

Contrast that with heat. Yes, you need lots of water and suntan lotion, and tropical middays are not a good idea until you've acclimatised, but that's about it..

And, yes, it is cold, raining and I have to cycle down to the local supermarket, which is what prompts this thread !
10C = 50F and that's groovy!
>30C = under 86F and that too ain't bad.

Sounds like Northern California or Seattle to me.

I don't see the problem, that's wonderful to me.
Old 12-25-18, 09:34 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12774 Post(s)
Liked 7,692 Times in 4,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
10C = 50F and that's groovy!
>30C = under 86F and that too ain't bad.

Sounds like Northern California or Seattle to me.

I don't see the problem, that's wonderful to me.
Yeah, 30 is about the top of my comfort range for cycling, but I'll still ride up to 44 or so, just more slowly and more stops to refill the water bottles.
Old 12-26-18, 01:05 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
So between 10ºC and 30ºC, right? 50ºF to 86ºF. Of my roughly 1,100 recorded rides, I have just 41 with an average* temperature of 10ºC or below, and a mere 67 above 30ºC. So almost exactly 90% of the time, it's in that "comfort zone."

What I do like is a day where the temperature is consistent, whether that be hot or cold. That is something we seldom get. On Christmas Eve, I put in 82 miles-- when I left the house, it was 41ºF. By the time I finished, it was 73ºF. I think I'd rather it just be 90ºF the whole time. Certainly easier to dress for.

*though averages often don't provide an accurate picture-- I have plenty of rides with averages of 84-85ºF, but peak temperatures well over 100ºF. Usually for the reason listed above, I leave the house in the upper 70s, and get home when it's over 100.
Old 12-27-18, 04:11 AM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
Hah! Just noticed that we both have avatars with our bikes in the snow!!
When you live with the influence of the Great Lakes, you might as well get used to snow.
Old 01-02-19, 08:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
You call 10º cold and 30º hot? Ha!

I agree with @LesterOfPuppets that 0º-5º and raining is perhaps the worst. I haven't ridden in Wisconsin-like conditions, but I might like it.

Still, I prefer summer. Sure I get hot, but wearing shorts is worth a lot to me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-02-19, 11:33 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
10º is great. So is 30º. All things equal, I'll take a dry 10º over a humid 30º.

I start to jump off the heat wagon when the dewpoints hit around 18º. If the dewpoints are over 21º or so, I know it's really gonna suck.

I'll take Wisconsin winters and a solid -15º C over 35º C and humid. Actually, I'll take cool and rainy over heat and humidity, but cold and snowy winters over either. Of course, Wisconsin gives you all three, sometimes in the same month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.